Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unity 5 dropship diorama FX test - images and video

I spent a few hours over the weekend making a Unity 5 FX test - my original intention was just to make things look nice without worrying about drawcalls etc.

My inspiration was from my background in photography: Compose a scene, and tweak about in Lightroom. Except this time, do everything realtime in Unity.

Everything is assets from the store that are then heavily modified, with my own FX stack (again, tons of asset store FX) - I can't do 3D modelling at all! I'm a programmer who works with 3D artists a lot to make things look good; perhaps slowly moving towards a technical artist role.

I think it's pretty good for a few hours of playing about! Would love to get some thoughts from you all on how I could improve things.

Before: BiOwI6C.png

After: jZKKbyB.png

Video (watch in 1080!): [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYp5Bjtif2s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYp5Bjtif2s[/ame]

(I'm new here - sorry if I've done this wrong!)

Replies

• BƎAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woooah, this is awesome. I havent seen Unity look that good! :poly121:
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    thats really cool man!
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Everything except the sparks look fantastic. Having the sparks spawn almost constantly takes away from the impact and they seem to come from nowhere in particular/everywhere which makes it look a bit odd. Maybe focus them to certain places and only spawn them once in a while when something "breaks"? Maybe when the lights go out they could spawn from the lights in the ceiling or a circuit box...
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Since this is unity, you should definitely export a web player version of it and put up a link. Make it a tiny bit interactive as well; perhaps allow the user to look around if only ever so slightly.
  • yezzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words!

Agree with the sparks - I'll find proper spawn locations for them, and synchronise them with actual events.
    Also have changed the material to have a bit of bloom, and have made them meshes rather than stretched billboards:
    287IxGc.png

Am also working on an ending, where the door falls off. Love light shafts.
    YeP88q0.png

Will definitely release a webplayer when I can. Right now it locks up the browser, and the plugin stops responding.. if you leave it a bit longer it works fine, but that's not great for the user! :D
  • samwoodart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samwoodart polycounter lvl 7
    I can't believe this is running in unity, this is so sweet man. Your material and texture work is absolutely top notch. Keep up the great work!
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Seconded,
    That looks outstanding,
    I've been using the tried and tested 'What do you expect?, its unity' argument for the past 2 and a half years,
    I better hide this, or step up,
    but prolly hide this xD
  • yezzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samwoodart wrote: »
    I can't believe this is running in unity, this is so sweet man. Your material and texture work is absolutely top notch. Keep up the great work!

Thanks! Although.. it's not mine :(
    Everything is assets from the store that are then heavily modified

I tweaked stuff a lot to get it how i wanted it, then set up lighting, a post-FX stack, then added in all the other stuff, and code to glue it all together :)
  • yezzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded wrote: »
    Seconded,
    That looks outstanding,
    I've been using the tried and tested 'What do you expect?, its unity' argument for the past 2 and a half years,
    I better hide this, or step up,
    but prolly hide this xD

Just get Unity 5, it's awesome :D That and a few choice plugins and everything can look amazing! ...though depends how much you care about draw calls :D:D
  • manishswain326
    Dropship means - to ship (goods) as a drop shipment

Drop shipping is a supply chain management technique in which the retailer does not keep goods in stock, but instead transfers customer orders and shipment details to either the manufacturer or a wholesaler, who then ships the goods directly to the customer. As in retail businesses, the majority of retailers make their profit on the difference between the wholesale and retail price but some retailers earn an agreed percentage of the sales in commission, paid by the wholesaler to the retailer.
  • yezzer