Home Technical Talk

Mari - Create layer from selection

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
Hey all. Total Mari noob. I've been following some tutorials on Digital Tutors and starting to learn a bit about Mari. One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to create a new layer from the selection (CTRL + J in Photoshop).

I want to be able to select an element in my Ortho view, create a layer from said selection and then mirror and rotate the object into another area of the texture.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

Replies

• FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 9
    There's no equivalent functionality. What you could do is use the paint through brush.
    Or unproject a layer back into the paint buffer, and transform the paint buffer to move and project it somewhere else.

If you describe what exactly you're trying to do, I could maybe provide some more helpful advice.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks Felix,

I'm working on a digital scan of my dog and he has a marking on his neck that sadly fell across a UV seam (thought I avoided it). I think what I'll do is lift the marking onto another image file in Photoshop and then project it on as you say. Strange that you can use the Tow tool to move objects around yet can't pull them up onto a layer to manipulate. And if you say you can manipulate the paint buffer, then you think you'd at least be able to copy selection to the buffer. Guess its a good idea for the next version.

Is there a way that you know of to refresh the base texture in Mari if I edit it in another application (photoshop)?