Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio uploaded for Job Hunt - CRITIQUE NEEDED

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
kabir.talib polycounter lvl 7
Hi Guys,

I have uploaded my Artwork on Artstation for a job hunt so I can forward this link to different studios.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/kabirtalib

Kindly take a look on my portfolio. Your critique and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

P.S: Do hit "Like Button" if you like anything. That will be encouraging :D

Replies

• tahakitan
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    step 1, make your own website without with your own website address. nothing in it like .wix or artstation or cgsociety. by a domain and make it. some sites like wix let you buy your own domain so that you can name you site without .wix.
  • kabir.talib
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks tahakitan

Why is it important to have personal domain. when it serving the same purpose. Does it really matter to have your own domain name?
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Its more professional to have a personal site. it can still be hosted on a blogger site as long as it looks clean and professional and isn't formatted like a typical blog. Using something like artstation is just lazy to be honest. As for the work, you are ALL over the place. Nothing bad but nothing good either. What are you focusing on? You have stylized stuff, some psuedo higher res stuff, 2d stuff, its just a strange hodgepodge. To be blunt, none of it is really high quality either. I know that's harsh but compared to what you're competing against, that's just the truth. The lion looking creature and the dragon are solid. Otherwise, you can kind of scrap everything to be honest. Pick a focus and generate a few assets that are top notch quality.
  • kabir.talib
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks slosh.. your feedback is really valuable. I really need to start work on my personal stuff.

Honestly Regarding different styles, It totally depends on what my company ask me to do.. make realistic character or stylized, its their call.

and do I need to stick with one style? Is it important to be good at one than to have experience of different styles? It can be a bad impression?
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    well, it depends what studios you are applying to. I suppose mobile studios might prefer someone to wear multiple hats. Most larger studios want you to do a very specific job. Also the majority of studios will have one style, whether that be stylized or realistic. Depending on which studio you are applying to, you need to focus your folio to appeal to them. If you are great at both then I suppose you can have both in your folio to a certain degree. It's hard enough being good at just one so most people just pick a focus and stick with it.
  • zberry
    Offline / Send Message
    zberry polycounter lvl 9
    Kabir if I could add to what Slosh said, I would just stress how important it is to do personal projects outside of your client work. By doing this you will be able to explore exactly what you enjoy creating the most, and your style will naturally evolve from that. Filling up your portfolio with projects that are in the style that you enjoy most will lead you to more of that sort of work.
  • Madwish
    Offline / Send Message
    Madwish polycounter lvl 6
    Artstation and blogs are cool ways to speak about your work, wips, project, and add some stuff that would be seen by people who make the effort to follow you. But your portfolio is the go to place for potential clients/employers to judge your work in a split second.

Recruiters, art lead, ... have hundreds of applications for any job and only a limited time on their hand. They need to see in a couple of seconds that they're not going to waste their time looking through your portfolio. IMHO Artstation and blogs are the opposite of that, they're places meant for a more laid back browsing. I'll watch artstation and blogs of big artists to get an insight to their workflow, see some wips and look at more pieces they did because I love their work. But that's after I know how good they are.

Otherwise, I'd second what has been said before. I would also add that some breakdowns are always nice on a portfolio (texture sheets, concept, wireframe, a bit of talk on the process, ...). Also, all your pieces are just shown very simply, here's the mesh and that's all. You should probably take the time to work on the presentation a bit. Working a pose and a little stand for a character adds an awful lot to it.
  • kabir.talib
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you.. Slosh, zberry and Madwish

Slosh I am currently working in mobile game company and I got your point :)

Really appreciate your feedback and suggestions. I'll definitely put extra effort to my artwork and its presentation.

And Im getting my domain soon :D