Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - The Elephant King - DigitalDavinci

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
digitaldavinci polycounter lvl 15
This will be my first contest, and one of my first submissions for critique of the PC community. I look forward to seeing what all you amazing artists come up with.

This contest may be a bit ambitious for me with the current title I'm working on due this year (Tom Clancy's: The Division), but Many of the artists here use Substance on their own art, and I have been watching them with a jealous eye create some amazing things with the program.

I've wanted to buy it before the price went up, but my new daughter requires my money more than Algorithmic does. :poly124:

I plan on making a fantasy world of an elephant king. I will incorporate actual statues of war elephants that existed ~200 B.C.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_elephant, African/Middle Eastern/Asian architecture, and even some of the lore of Hannibal's battles in Carthage, into the environment.

Programs to be used:

3DS Max
ZBrush
Photoshop
Substance Painter/Designer
Marmoset/Possibly UE4?

Reference dump tomorrow.

Replies

• digitaldavinci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After 2 days of reference collection, I have made some decisions and created my art direction.

I will be now moving towards a Asian theme with details, architecture, and design of the throne. I will be using the war elephants of Asia as reference, building the structure in a mix of Middle Eastern and Indonesian details. The throne will be for a human that has the power over the elephants. They are his minions and he uses them for what ever he feels necessary.

I've attached reference, concept, and color sheets.

Any constructive criticism is appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks!

WIGuTAV.jpg

QOKzIzT.jpg

P37V3EM.jpg

i6AbPM3.jpg

iByiUEa.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    love this idea! good luck man!
  • Tim-Welch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like where you're going with this. Looking forward to seeing more from you.
  • markai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    markai polycounter lvl 8
    Fantastic research! Cannot wait to see this on unfold!
  • digitaldavinci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Blockout, composition, and lighting starts tonight.

Going to have to be a night/weekend project as we are pumping hard at work right now. Kids to bed at 9 pm, and then off to work on the throne.
  • digitaldavinci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crunch is finally over at work for the next 6 weeks. I finally had time to work on this project. I am very behind, but determined to come up with something. I have finished the elephant block out in ZBrush. I will now work a bit more on proportion, then on to sculpting.

This will be a sculpture formed/carved in sheered rock, so my focus will not be on the back end of the elephant. I only have the back legs there for posing.

Below is the screen grabs, and the eventual pose I will be going for the sculpture where the throne will reside.

orFKrxr.jpg

Jv37XP1.jpg

aprcf0R.jpg