Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag 2 Alpha Problem

Speed87
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Speed87 polycounter lvl 4
Hello guys,

I am having this very annoying issue regarding Alpha's in Marmoset Toolbag 2 on PC. I have been working on a project using both Mac and PC versions of Marmoset. The issue is that on PC I am getting a thickening, white border around the alpha. On Mac I have no such issue. I took a side by side of the same texture loaded into the Albedo slot in Marmoset. The one on the right is Mac, left is PC. Any advice on why this is happening and how I can solve it? The textures have not changed. Thanks.

2ighm2w.png

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Are you using TGA? Might be a straight vs premultiplied alpha issue.
  • Speed87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used PNG. Should I be using TGA in Marmoset?
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Speed87 wrote: »
    I used PNG. Should I be using TGA in Marmoset?

People say PNG was notorious for alpha issues with Photoshop, the problems should be clear now but give TGA a go, I think Earthquake mentioned something about Marmoset and PNG's not too long ago but I forget what that is haha. With TGA's I always usually leave premultiplied alpha on and since you're using an alpha, go 32 bit for full alpha bit depth (note: not 32 bit under Photoshop's mode setting, stay in 8bit, Photoshop will prompt you about the depth when saving out the TGA).

Edit: I remember it was about the PNG loader:

"I'm not sure if our PNG loader supports 16 bit files, if it looks like the 8 bit version, probably not. PSD supports 8, 16 or 32 bit, which is why looks better." --Earthquake.

It's probably the alpha in the extra 8 bits and Marmoset isn't loading it, which is giving the appearance of "thicker" edges. They're not actually thicker, they're just being rounded to either 0, black or 1, white.

TGA should solve the issue.
  • Speed87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much Axi5. I will try this later for sure. I am using GIMP even though I don't think that makes any difference. Gimp supports TGA I believe/hope.
  • Speed87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also any idea why Mac Marmoset works fine with PNG?
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Speed87 wrote: »
    Also any idea why Mac Marmoset works fine with PNG?

Well TGA might not fix the issue but I believe it should, I haven't had any issues with TGA on Win. I don't use GIMP but according to some searches it does have a TGA exporter so you should be fine.

As for why a PNG on Windows causes an issue compared to Mac. Just speculating, it might again be due to the PNG loader. The Marmoset team might have used a different PNG loader if it's not cross compatible, so PNG loader Win might import 8bit, PNG Mac might import 16bit. Honestly I'm not sure! You might have more luck enquiring about it in the Marmoset sub forum and EarthQuake hangs out here pretty often so he might jump into this thread :)
  • Speed87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. Once again thank you very much for your feedback. I did write to marmoset toolbag support and showed them some of my issues.
  • Fabian Fischer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabian Fischer polycounter lvl 8
    Even the Mac version of Toolbag can't import 16 bit PNG files. It's not a problem with the operating system.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Even the Mac version of Toolbag can't import 16 bit PNG files. It's not a problem with the operating system.

Ah okay then, do you have another idea on why it might be an issue? When I inspect the Win version again it does appear to have some steps of grey, it's not block white or black, there is a mid. So a read error perhaps?
  • Fabian Fischer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabian Fischer polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe it's doing some kind of dithering there?
    The color issue could be a problem of Windows/Mac. I can't tell.

I was just referring to the 16-bit discussion coming up. PNGs can't have 16 bit in Toolbag at the moment and the TGA loader is also working to correctly in toolbags current version and can't have 16 bit, either.
    I would try to export .psd files and see what happens with those thickened lines.
  • Speed87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,I tried TGA format and stil have the white border :(

14t7o1k.jpg
  • Speed87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solved guys. After another hour searching the internet I came across this: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/623481-how-to-create-pre-multiplied-alpha-for-use-with-opengl/

I followed the steps for GIMP and it worked. No more white border. Thank you.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    is your albedo dilated?
  • Speed87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, what do you mean by dilated?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Edge padding, I assume. It'll mip out rather quickly.. (though you are fairly close)

Try looking at your albedo texture and use the mip bias preview slider to preview your texture when mipmapped.