Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BULLY in UE4 - Design Breakdown Book

Hey Polycount!

I've been really busy lately, but I've finally finished my art book for my latest project, Bully in Unreal 4.

Click here for the virtual book, powered by Issuu.

Alternatively, you can click here to view or download the high quality PDF (A3 at 300dpi).

Here's a picture of the cover, just so you know it's the right one:

0_cover01.jpg?format=750w

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• Limewax
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    Stellar work Wesley, you generated a lot of buzz with this stuff and definitely gave me a lot of inspiration. To be honest, I had stumbled in to your Charlie and the Chocolate Factory environment a few weeks before you started releasing stuff for the Bully remake, so I'm kind of a hipster fan of yours :)

Thanks for sharing these things with the community. If you're going to keep making stuff like this, I'd almost encourage you to start up a Patreon account so that others may donate to your efforts.
  • ElectricEchoes
    Offline / Send Message
    ElectricEchoes polycounter lvl 6
    Loved the environment, and it's great to see a breakdown. Stellar job on the presentation!
  • WesleyArthur
    Limewax wrote: »
    Stellar work Wesley, you generated a lot of buzz with this stuff and definitely gave me a lot of inspiration. To be honest, I had stumbled in to your Charlie and the Chocolate Factory environment a few weeks before you started releasing stuff for the Bully remake, so I'm kind of a hipster fan of yours :)

Thanks for sharing these things with the community. If you're going to keep making stuff like this, I'd almost encourage you to start up a Patreon account so that others may donate to your efforts.

Wow, thanks @Limewax! That's a real compliment! I'm really glad you like it.

I've never heard of Patreon, but just had a look on their website. I'm not certain if I'll be making another for a bit (as this one is part of my uni assignment), but I'll certainly keep it in mind if I have to do more. Thanks for the heads up!
    Loved the environment, and it's great to see a breakdown. Stellar job on the presentation!

Thanks @ElectricEchoes! I worked really hard trying to make it look appealing so I'm really glad it comes across.
  • ubu
    Offline / Send Message
    ubu polycounter lvl 7
    Well done Wes this looks great.
  • Dobbler
    Offline / Send Message
    Dobbler polycounter lvl 11
    Fantastic breakdown to an amazing scene, you use so many varied techniques I never even knew existed! This rookie has some reading to do :poly142:

How long did this project take you to accomplish?
  • WesleyArthur
    @ubu Thanks Dave!
    Dobbler wrote: »
    Fantastic breakdown to an amazing scene, you use so many varied techniques I never even knew existed! This rookie has some reading to do :poly142:

How long did this project take you to accomplish?

Thanks Dobbler, I've been working on the entire project since around the start of October. I started the art book around mid January. I've had other projects too, but this is my major one.

Haha I'm still a rookie, but if my work helps in any way that's awesome!
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Congrats again.

Just downloaded it, I'll give it a read soon!
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    very cool man! Its a pretty neat way to present your work and show all the love that went into it. I just sorta flipped threw the pages quickly (didn't really read it yet) but it sorta ends abruptly if you do this. Could you put like a back page on it just letting you know its the ends? I don't know much about these flip books but it seems like that would make it feel a little better if just flipping thru.
  • jStins
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Nice write up and a good mix of technical tips and rationale for creative decisions. I agree with BradMyers82 that the end is abrupt. It would be nice to see a conclusion with a post-mortem, but I'm guessing you're a bit burnt out on the whole thing.

What did you use for the page layouts? InDesign or... ?

Goes without saying that the art itself is also very nice. Great stuff!
  • WesleyArthur
    @beefaroni - Thanks, much appreicated! I hope you enjoy it.

@BradMyers82 - Ah yes, that's a good point. I definitely think it'd round it off a bit better. I need to update it anyway, as I've noticed that a typo has managed to surpass my proof reads... Thanks for the crit!

@jStins - Yeah, I'm pretty mentally drained, but it's definitely a good idea. I've made them all in Photoshop, but spent a long time arranging everything and making all of the components. Thanks for the kind words!
  • felipealves
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 11
    What a masterpiece man! Thank you for sharing so much useful info with us!
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I can only imagine how much work it must have been to assemble this! I bow before you.. and the scene itself is great! It's a shame I don't know the original one.
  • WesleyArthur
    @felipealves - Thanks! You're welcome, I'm glad you find it useful!

@Cay - Yeah many hours have gone into it haha, I'm glad it shows! It's definitely worth checking out the original if you ever get the chance. It's such a great game. Thanks for the kind words!
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the breakdown! its truly well written! I was actually thinking about this game a week ago and imagining if they did a remake in UE4. What a wizard!
  • WesleyArthur
    Iciban wrote: »
    Thanks for the breakdown! its truly well written! I was actually thinking about this game a week ago and imagining if they did a remake in UE4. What a wizard!

Thanks, you're welcome! Ah that's crazy! Fingers crossed they announce a new one this year...
  • Teessider
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    This is well produced breakdown Wesley :). Great stuff!
  • MephistonX
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    This is fantastic. Really impressive enviroment, the attention to detail is great. I really like the subtle particle effects and lighting animation you added.

Even better is the breakdown pdf, thank you for putting this together and sharing it with the community.

One thing you should do is add the walk through video to the top post. Then I think this thread will be feature worthy.

Cheers!
  • WesleyArthur
    @Teessider - Thanks!!

@MephistonX - Thank you! Yeah I found I didn't need too many particles, so I tried to keep them fairly subtle. You're more than welcome for the breakdown, I'm glad you like it! I might have to make a walk through video at some point, that's a great idea.
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome Wes! Downloaded it!
  • WesleyArthur
    Chase wrote: »
    Awesome Wes! Downloaded it!

Thanks Chase, much appreciated!!
  • WesleyArthur
    I've updated the art book to correct a small typo and add a succinct back page, just to round it off. The links in the original post are updated if you want to re-download it.