Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sandbox Heroes - Final year uni paper

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Flamingo Knight polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys!

Been workin on a game project for a year long paper in my final year of uni.
However I am focusing primarily on the visual aesthetic and gameplay is going to be investigated, but not implimented due to the priorotising off improving my modelling, sculpting, and texturing skills.

Sandbox Heroes is a strategy role-playing game where you take control of a group of friends as they venture out into a magical and dangerous world. (Think Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced type of gameplay)

Original Character concepts

zgTtSPY.jpg

And some highpoly sculpts of the 4 main characters.

First off we have Jess. Lethal, fast, and a natural born leader, she keeps the group together. Though harsh at times, she does whats best for everyone, and does not take sides in arguments. She is full of energy and yearns for adventure, but fears that she will not be able to prevent one of her friends getting hurt.

wdG9lAM.png

Michael. Strong, tough and loyal. Michael makes the perfect knight, ready to put himself in front of danger to save his friends. Under his tough appearance he is kind, and caring. But also sad. A sadness that can never go away, for he knows that any day could be his last. A secret he keeps to himself.

b5z8EY8.png

Jack. Not much more is known about this lil fella than his name. He was found by a group of kids, hanging out alone every day at an old playground with a large paper bag over his head. He doesnt speak often, but is not one to be trifled with, and at first the kids tried to get him to remove his bag, but nothing would make him remove it. He is much stronger than he appears and wields a mighty hammer.
vvIfrGy.png

Finally Bekka. Who is still in the works. Really need some advice on attire. I really dont see the singlet + shorts working with the hoodie/cape thing. She is a mage.
T4HH7NR.png

Would love some feedback/critique for these characters.

Replies

• Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Well to begin with it would say that the art style is not coherent with any of the character. Jess have human proportion with a football Arnold! head. The small flower girl have human proportion and relatively normal head but appears super small, so she can't be human. or else jess is an adulte and the flower girl is 3years old. Mickeal is a beefy guy, but his face is completely different from what you've done to jess. She's super stylized but mickeal have a normal chubby face kid ?

None of your character share the same artstyle, just check at there eyes for example. I think you jump on the sculpt way to fast and you need to spend a bit more time on the concept part. Proof is that you jump on starting to sculpt a character without knowing what you want her to wear.

Hope this helps.
  • Flamingo Knight
    Offline / Send Message
    Flamingo Knight polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Odow, thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean. I have reevaluated bekka and worked out how i want her to look. And have redone the sculpt. I am still unsure about how I am to bring the sculpts together into 1 art style. I do want the stark contrasts in the characters' designs. I am thinking of revamping Micheals helmet to a more stylised, less cliche look, so hopefully that will help :/

Did a paitover of my sculpt with the attire I want her to wear
    VAVSosD.jpg

and then sculpted it. Im 70-80% happy with it, feel like it's missing something though. Opted to remove the mouth covering as it didnt suit her.

1hqIGtK.png

And here is an updated sizing chart of the characters relative to each other.
    sLdlrAn.jpg

Any more feedback/ critique?
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    I really like the cartoony style of the characters, and how they all have a very defined style. Reminds me of clash of clans a bit.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    The following is all based off of Pauls opinion, feel free to take it or leave, now..your feature presentation.
    I guess the main thing is, you're missing a lot of detail here. They all look like. they're made of clay, and they're wearing clay.
    They're weapons are lookin alright, but suffer from the same problem. You've got good shapes here, just keep refining it.