Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer 40k Space Marine Dreadnought

Thomas Clewley
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Thomas Clewley polycounter lvl 4
Hello fellow polycounters.

I'm going to be creating a game ready 40k Space Marine Dreadnought to go into Ue4.

I plan on making a variety of armaments for this so i could possible later on develop a ui system in Ue4 which allows the user to customizes their own Dreadnought. However for now i'm going to be fouces on the modeling and texturing side of thing first before i create a ui system without any content to put into.

All advice and critics are welcome, I've seen a few others making a Dreadnought on here and other sites so i'm going to see if i can do any better since I've always liked the design of the SM Dreadnought.

I've been working on this for a few weeks when i can and now i feel i have enough progress to begin a thread on here.

My goal I've given myself is to have this modeled and textured in two months, so lets see how that goes.

So for references this is what i'm planning to work on.
SMsD__zps419907bc.jpg

I've stil yet to add some of the more finer detail such as skulls and cables which will be added later once i have the base shapes down, which will then allow me to kit-bash some of the trims around the other components.

I've done most of the hardsurface modeling in 3dsmax and will be doing the trims and wear detailing in zbrush.

Blockout
BlockOutRender_zps392682ed.jpg

Hp Torso
HpBodyRender_zpseabfdde3.jpg

Hp Legs
HpLegs_zps2456304e.jpg

Hp Backback
HpBackPackRender_zpsa67a760c.jpg

Hp Lascannan
HpLasCannonWIP_zpsc3745d4b.jpg

Hp Assault Gun
HpGatlingGunWIP_zps2808ec4f.jpg

Hp Rocket Launcher
HpRocketLauncher_zps4ec69b46.jpg

To just say again, any and all advice and crits are welcome since i hope to improve over the duration of this project. :)

Replies

• Thomas Clewley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A small update,

Hp Close Combat Arm
    HpCloseCombatArm_zps79c1cc87.jpg
  • K-O-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! Nice and clean presentation!
  • theonewhoknocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
    No crits from me yet. Solid modeling though, looking forward to seeing the wear and tear details
  • Thomas Clewley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. its always nice to know your going in the right direction and haven't made any noobe mistakes, well not yet anyway :) . I've got a few more armaments and small accessory's to make, then i'll be jumping head long into the detail pass.
  • Thomas Clewley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hp under arm flamer
    HpUnderArmFlamer_zpsd781123f.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    your edges seem pretty sharp, dont get caught modeling close up, that flamer may look big on that picture right now, but later its just a part of the whole model, viewed from 5x the distance
    Try making some of the distinctive edges smoother to get a better bake and definition from afar, aside its looking nice so far
  • Thomas Clewley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for reminding me shrike :), i had set out starting with soft edges in mind and must have forgotten with some of the newer assets. I've made some adjustment and made some of the edges softer. To combat this i normally during backing in max apply a push modifier to the base of the hp to help with the softening of edges.

Your also spot on with the flamer it is a lot bigger than it needs to be, its currently about the same size as the whole arm. With some of the smaller assets i like to model them bigger than needs be so it easier to model some of the smaller details. Then scale them down later. The same as you would when making texture maps.

I've been adding a few pipes to all the above meshes that will render out in the future.

Here is a hp under arm boter I've done.
    HpUnderArmBolter_zps2d607e9d.jpg

I'm currently now working on some of the accessory that i plan on kit bashing on the above assets.
  • Thomas Clewley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been a little longer than i'd hoped for an update but nether the less I've been crunching away at some smaller accessory.

Hp Smoke Launcher

HpSmokeLaunchers_zpsa676bbc8.jpg

Hp Honor Seal

HpHonorSeal_zps43837332.jpg

Hp Laurel 1
    Hplaurel1_zps83764299.jpg

Hp Laurel 2

Hplaurel2_zpsc3c4ca2b.jpg

Hp Cross Skull

HpCross_zps0cdcb2a7.jpg
  • Thomas Clewley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick late night accessory before bed.

Hp Spotlight
    HpSpotLight_zps912fe439.jpg

Finally all the base modeling is done, the next step being a detail pass in zbrush. I'm going to be attempted a used beaten look, as if its been in a few battles. So any advice on wear effects in zbrush would be much appreciated. :)
  • chudork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chudork polycounter lvl 8
    sweet!:D Im a big fan of 40k stuff, could use dam standard and flatten or hpolish for some dents or battle damage, aside from that you can check pinterest for zbrush tutorials maybe you can find what you are looking for there :D
  • Thomas Clewley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the length of time between posts, i'm still here and still working on the dred. Other project came up as well as my copy of zbrush suddenly deciding not to work at all. So rather than slowing down the project I've decided to crack on the low poly and work on the details in normal map via height map painting in ether 3d coat or substance painter.

I did hold off making this post till i had something to show for it, low polys final done.

LpBody_zpssweubpn3.jpg
    LpArms_zps8yt4k8gz.jpg
    LpWeapons_zpslkxm129z.jpg

Here are my accessory, low poly and high poly becided eachother.

SearchLight_zpsb8nxlawx.jpg
    SmokeLauncher_zpsygksf0ma.jpg
    Cross_zpsqfbhapkn.jpg
    Laurel_zps7yj9mcgf.jpg
    LaurelBound_zpsb7ae8leu.jpgSeal_zpsmrnirazo.jpg

As always any insight or critiques are appreciated.
  • Royal Corgi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice!For the EMPEROR!!!
  • Thomas Clewley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the support guys, I've been having fun working on this crowd favorite. Cant wait till i get to the posing and presenting stage. I've already got some cool idea of how i'm going to stage this beast.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    For the presentation, try making the matcap abit darker, and make it contrast with the background.
    Also, drop in a nice gradient on the background, will help alot.
    Kinda painfull to look at the shots as they are.
  • Thomas Clewley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Damian, its easy enough to change, it just a quick render file i import everything into. :)
  • Thomas Clewley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all i'm still about, slowly working on the dred. I've slapped some textures together in ue4. just wondering on your guys thoughts. i've already spotted a few tweaks in coloring that need fixing such as some green's and blues being too bright in comparison to the rest of the textures, it will be fixed.

HighresScreenshot00007_zps2c2uqoeu.png
    HighresScreenshot00009_zpszob8beq3.png
    HighresScreenshot00011_zpsj7i491rn.png
    HighresScreenshot00013_zpsjxzc9fck.png

I also tried a blue version. I was trying to push its modularity by change the parts and color around to show case how i could be used. Thoughts?

HighresScreenshot00027_zps1drlmkng.png
    HighresScreenshot00028_zpslyqo2jb2.png
    HighresScreenshot00029_zpsvmpdlcgu.png
    HighresScreenshot00030_zpstg26ezmc.png

Here some wires.

Torso_zpsgmbdtrea.jpg
    Legs_zpsdh8vmqwx.jpg
    Backpack%20-%20Copy_zpscmc2lb4e.jpg
    CloseCombat%20-%20Copy_zpsyvd6iqm6.jpg
    LazCannon_zpswxyq3c3s.jpg
    Rockets_zpstvkqpcn7.jpg