Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Smoldering Corpse Bar - interior location

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Axcel polycounter lvl 14
Hello, this is the first time, when I share this project on forum.
This is as far, my biggest personal project. It's a tribute to Planescape: Torment, classic 2d and isometric role-playing video game. As you can see, I’m creating 3D visualisation of Smoldering Corpse Bar. One of the most characteristic location in the game.

Right now I'm going out from 3d sketch stage, and starting making final low poly geometry instead. Soon I will be scupting some HP meshes and then making textures.

I already spent some time on fog, lightning and particles to achieve some atmosphere for the location.

Last image is depicting my main reference. Because everything there is in top-down view, I had to concept by myself a whole roofing. For this I supported myself by only one available shot of a building exterior and by knowledge about ancient Rome and Gothic architecture. I tried to be cohesive as much as possible (my 3D version of interior ovelaps on a right angle with isometric view from the game) with the original game and partially because of this, most challenging was fitting a dome with pillars. Planescape: Torment is a top-down perspective game and developers didn’t have to care if roofing fits or not.
From technical side I’m right now using DirectX 11 for tesselation (with and without displacement mapping) and I’m going to use this for upcoming lightning, HB Ambient Occlusion+, Bokeh DOF effect and hardening shadow effect, when CryEngine will support this.

Main tenets for artistic style is to sustain feeling of craft crudeness, lack of grace. Putting thickness over compactness. Important for me is selection of materials. I want to use mainly iron and stone for structure of a building and a bit of wood for props.

Recommended additional footage from this project:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTRRCXOexJw[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4ghwD3H9-4[/ame]

smoldering_cropse_bar_scr6.jpg

smoldering_cropse_bar_scr7.jpg

smoldering_cropse_bar_scr8.jpg

smoldering_cropse_bar_scr9.jpg

and a bit older screenshots:

smoldering_cropse_bar_scr4.jpg

smoldering_cropse_bar_scr3.jpg

smoldering_cropse_bar_scr2.jpg

smoldering_cropse_bar_scr5.jpg

smoldering_corpse_bar_reference1.jpg

I will be very glad to hear some critiques and suggestions from you. :)

Replies