Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Textured Object EVER

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Poseidon8734 polycounter lvl 6
This was the first thing I have textured completely by myself without any help so please comment and give tips about it. That is also why you might find a lot of errors with it. 2hovl08.jpg

Replies

• DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start. I remember my first object in texturing class, it was a cigarette box :D
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Good start for you first one,
    Things to look at going forward from here;
    Don't just grab stock images from CGtextures and use them un-edited, thousands of people have used them before, and are usually void of context for your asset.

Do some more material research, that wood looks like floorboards, and they probably are, not the kind of wood you'd see on a barrel.

Start looking into hand painting some lighting information in, ambient occlusion under the metal bands, some highlights on the metal bands edges ect. (if you plan on using legacy shaders)

Keep it up, i'd like to see an update :)
  • Poseidon8734
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will look into the textures and maybe hand-painting although I am definitely no very good at it. Thanks though and I will probably make an update.
  • Poseidon8734
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I re-textured this new one. I know that the metal might be a little to bright but whatever :D. I did change both textures slightly to make the shades different but the wood feels to bright as well. Oh and btw Fwap could you please explain the ambient occlusion on the metal bands. <--Still new to this :D Also you have any helpful tips or tutorials on hand-painting textures? Thanks again everyone! 2n6elnl.jpg
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Sorry for the belated reply.
    Jamin Shoulet has some great videos in painting lighting information;
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GWVez_UHM

You latest texture isn't a step forward unfortunately, its still very 'slapped on' you need to put the art in game art put some context into the texture, for example rust build up, a bit of dirt build up towards the bottom, scratches ect.
    And when you do use photo sourced textures do some color grading on them to match your asset.
    Just because the metal texture you grab off the net is bright doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

Your wood choice is still off, make sure you look up some reference and really study it.
    barrel.jpg

its a lot to take in i know, haha
  • Poseidon8734
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will try but I can't paint my own textures so that hopefully won't be an issue. I am also not quite sure I know how to make scratches. I have never been a good painter. I do know that that was not an improvement I just posted it anyway. I like my first one though :D.
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    If you can't paint your own textures, then this is a good chance to learn.
    That is, if you want to go with a more painterly style.

For the first few assets, trying to paint yourself is a good idea though, so I'd say just go and try!
  • Poseidon8734
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ill try but you have no idea how bad it will be :D.
  • Heather.Hughes
    Ill try but you have no idea how bad it will be :D.

Only one way to get better. ;)

But for this, if you want to use photo-refs, start gathering more images to use and modify them to build up detail (dirt, scratches, random other details you want to add). Masking and layering in Photoshop are going to be some of your best friends when using images for textures.