Home Technical Talk

height map/cavity map

OctoKube
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
OctoKube polycounter lvl 2
Hi, quick question, is the height map considered the same as a cavity map and secondly, is there an imput for cavity map in quixel's DDO ??

thank you

Replies

• MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    No, heightmap just uses a grayscale to determine height. Pretty much the same thing as a Displacement map.

A cavity map finds all the minute cracks and details in a texture. They are/were useful for making your textures pop by adding them into your texture as an overlay or multiply option. However, with PBR texturing, they aren't used for that as much, if at all.

I remember DDO having a cavity map slot, but it might have been replaced by the curvature map instead. I've kind of strayed away from DDO and moved more into Substance Painter for texturing, maybe someone else can chime in on this...
  • OctoKube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thats a good clarification, thanks MeshMagnet. I was asking because I am diving into DDO for some texturing, any reason you prefer substance painter now?
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    DDO is great and all, especially their megascans. However, once I got into substance painter, and saw what you can do with Substance Designer (essentially making your own Megascans), there's really no going back.

Substance Painter lets you paint directly on the model, all real time. I can't stress enough how good it is for texturing game assets. DDO, well, it's cumbersome and frankly too slow.

The price is right too for Substance Painter.

I watched these videos by Wes, saw how the program really worked and was hooked:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0wXHrWAmCyJEDZLLQvusBxDbskFmh9K
  • OctoKube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok ill look that up thanks!