Home Technical Talk

Applying to Sheridain GAME LEVEL DESIGN I need help!!

manilamerc
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
So I'm applying to Sheridan in the Game Level Design Program (Post Grad). Here it is

https://www.sheridancollege.ca/academics/programs-and-courses/game-level-design.aspx

My transcripts were accepted but all I need is a portfolio. One of the things they want me to put in the portfolio is 400 word pdf document stating why I am applying to this program. Tell me if you think it is good enough.
8jwPuJt.jpg

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is good overall, but could use some formatting to make it easier to read.

Add a title at the top, plus your name, and the date.

Use more than two paragraphs. It's big solid blocks of text, which makes the reader think they must commit themselves to a long read. Shorter paragraphs (2-3 sentences each) make it easier for someone to get interested in reading the whole thing.

"I am applying for the Game Level Design program at Sheridan because..." it's good to say what you are applying for in the first sentence.

Your second sentence has odd grammar. It should be "I have played..."

There are several run-on sentences in here, which make it hard to follow your train of thought. "I completed the Game Development program ..." is a very long sentence with different subjects all lumped together. It's better to separate out each thought into its own sentence. The final sentence in your first paragraph is very convoluted as well.

Overall though I think you're showing a passion for the subject, which is great. It's just a bit hard to read, and formatting a bit will help with this.

Good luck!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Try sounding less desperate and more self conscious

You dont want to take this as your second chance, you want to take this to improve your skillset and become the best possible level designer and have already made a game design course and know 3d stuff to make that happen.

Try talking about things you already did, which qualify you for that direction

Also, you need to be sure that you want this. For the letter and for yourself. Either this is something you really want or not, you have to decide. (2x this if you are paying for that)

Be more secure and directed, more "I WILL" and less "I MAY BE" and think about how how true that is for you before applying.

Game design is hardly learnable through traditional education and most game designers come out unusable. Most successful level designers come from FPS modding, such as UT or CS after years of iterations, and there are hardly any resources available on the net. (which is pro education tho) Think about all this, and the price you have to pay and what you are willing to do.

The content itself sounds convincing, just care about the formulation. I wish you good luck

Edit: I read the description from their website and it reads like they dont know what they are talking about, offering you a mixture of general game development study with slight focus on game design, and call it level design. Talk with someone on the telephone there about the actual contents. Careful !
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, good points, especially about the lack of good formal education for level design.

We have some good resources here.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Level_Design
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
    In the course outline of the Game Level Design program I saw a course called programming and scripting. Would I HAVE to know that to be a game designer? I know how important programming in making a game but is it essential for game designers?
  • DonCornholio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonCornholio polycounter lvl 9
    I think programming/scripting is a pretty important skill to have as a game designer. Your choice of Game Engine will decide what skill you need to actually implement your game ideas. If you're working with ue4 for example, then you can do a lot with the blueprint system and dont necessarily need to know any specific programming or srcripting language. But i think in most other Game Engines some extent of scripting/programming will be necessary to do actual Game Design.
    If i wanted to be a game designer, i would probably try to learn Scripting/Programming but focus mostly on actually making something playable with the most accesible tool i can find.
    That said, i'm really shocked how expensive this educational program is ! I think you could just as well save that money, buy a few books and learn stuff yourself. Additionally spend your time on a decent game or mod project that you can put in your portfolio eventually. Also I'd bet you find better mentors, to guide you in your struggle to become a game designer, on forums like this one than you will find on that entire campus. Dont get me wrong here i'm not fundamentally against formal education like this, but be sure to double double check what this school can actually offer you and if thats worth the money.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    I'd suggest two main things to you:

1) It reads as if you're applying to this program because you didn't have another option after not finding work. You "stumbled across it" in your own words. It doesn't read as if you really have a passion for game design.

2) Make sure you really want to be a game designer. If you fear programming/scripting, game design isn't for you. The title "game designer" for 95% of the studio does NOT mean "the idea guy" or "giving instruction" like you mention. This is a huge mis-conception with students on how game production works. If you're looking for jobs as a game designer, you're doing all of the dirty work of actually making things work. There's a ton of grunt work. In this day and age there's a very good chance you'll be doing scripting, even if it's in a visual format like with Kismet or Blueprint.