Home Technical Talk

Rigging a mechanical robot leg... :(

null
Offline / Send Message
elGerman null
Hi, I have this robot with mechanical feet that has a base, a moving lonely toe in the front and a moving heel. I have to rig it and I was wonderin what technique should work the best.

Replies

• elGerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elGerman null
    Sorry, I forgot to say it's for a videogame, it's for a Unity3D game.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What tool are you using to model the character? You'll create your bones in your 3d app, skin the mesh to the bones, import the skinned model as a FBX file, then set up IK in Unity.
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Preparingacharacterfromscratch.html

IK is a Unity Pro feature
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/InverseKinematics.html

But there are various low-cost or free scripts on the Unity Asset Store to use IK in the free version. I just used this one to convert an articulated lamp into an IK setup.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/14938
  • elGerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elGerman null
    Hi Eric,

The model has been done in Maya, and I work with Maya so I'll rig it in Maya. The problem is that I've never rigged before although I've seen a lot of tutorials, but I've never put them in practice. I have to do it now, it's a big step for me.

I've seen how to rig a foot, with the reverse foot technique (sorry for the awful translation if it's not called that way) but I was wondering, as it is kind of mechanical, with parts moving, if there is some other way to rig it.

Here, a little quick croquis about how it should move:

pie.jpg

The red dots are the rotation pivots.7

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, this depends on what kind of animations you need to do, and how the character moves around in the game.

If the player controls it, then forward momentum is handled by the game, so you provide all the walk/run/leap anims with that momentum stripped out.

So, that means you rig and animate all in Maya.

Unity only imports pure FK.
  • elGerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elGerman null
    Hi,

The character is for a MOBA type of game, and I've seen animations done in 3DSMax and Maya exported in FBX format and imported in Unity that work perfect. There are not fancy animation tricks as you´ll use in a movie animation but works with what you said about walk/run/etc...

But my question is:

How do I rig that foot so I can give it the movement that it deserves?

I mean, for example, the guy, that rigged it before me, combined all three parts of the foot to make it a rigid body, and looked awful when running in Unity. So, I want to make the toe turn, when it walks, and the heel to go up and down as if it was an hydraulic arm providing suspension.

Should use a regular organic foot rig?

rfl.gif

Or should I create another kind of rig????

Looking for images I just found this webpage Back to school... guess it never ended :poly136: