Home General Discussion

Modeling ideas for newbies

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
L4TF2 polycounter lvl 2
Anybody here have some ideas for newbie 3d modelers?

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    There's a weekly hard-surface thread. I haven't done it myself; however, a friend did and his modeling skills really improved. To add, the nice part is that other people are attempting the same models, so there are hints/tips/ref to look at throughout the thread if you need. I'm sure if you did all 50whatever weeks you'd be in a great position!

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129938
  • Ispheria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    Model a car, inside and out (out first). Find something that has plenty of references and blueprints, so you can't go wrong. It'll teach you how the basics of modeling and some cool stuff. Like for tires you can duplicate a tire tread thingy or whatever over and over, and then bend it into a tire shape. Plus cars are cool.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Weekly Hard-Surface Challenge. Nothing is better than that.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Something with a fairly simple shape that is on your desk, that you can pick up and easily view from different angles. A glass, a pen, water bottle, etc.

The simpler the better for the first couple of models, to help you focus on the basics without getting overwhelmed and discouraged.

If you start with something really complex (a badass space marine, for example), you will probably get totally bogged down and not learn much.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    The simpler the better for the first couple of models, to help you focus on the basics without getting overwhelmed and discouraged.

I think a lot of people make this mistake. Knives are good models to start with imo. Especially if you have the knife in real life for reference.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria wrote: »
    Model a car, inside and out (out first). Find something that has plenty of references and blueprints, so you can't go wrong. It'll teach you how the basics of modeling and some cool stuff. Like for tires you can duplicate a tire tread thingy or whatever over and over, and then bend it into a tire shape. Plus cars are cool.

You're recommending a car as a good choice for a newbie? I think you forget what it was like to be a newbie. :)

Something simpler would be best. A knife, a lamp, etc.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    everyone needs to make their obligatory crate and barrel combo.
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Kind of depends on your skill level, but +1 for the Weekly Hard Surface thread. Will certainly test you in the beginning, but there's a lot of examples of people solving common problems, posting their wire frames, and other useful bits of info that will definitely help out.

If you're completely new to modeling it might be a bit overwhelming, but I think it's better to spend a lot of time on a model as a learning experience - even if it turns out shitty - than to do a bunch of quick 30 minute models that don't really teach you much.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Some quick ideas:

heart in a Jar

Weaponized accordion

Crate filled with tentacle monster

Dumpster that has been modified into vehicle

Jack the Ripper's tool box

Maybe these are a tad bit ambitious, but if you are going to be making mundane objects, sometimes it helps to give them a bit of flavor.. to shake up the cliche stuff that people usually do.