Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need critics and opinions about my game enviroment

JellyMen
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
JellyMen polycounter lvl 3
Me and my team decided, after developing a game at Global Game Jam 2015 in 48 hours, to polish the game and publish it on google play.

if you want to try the game >>>> http://globalgamejam.org/2015/games/split <<<<

I would really appreciate some feedback about the environment and textures I used. We chose to use a wireframe-ish art style with grey based textures and I think, in the end, we obtained what we were after. The idea was to build the environment out of simple shapes and only the main charachter higher in detail.

Now, we would like to publish and for this it kind of needs some more polish... The problem is, that I am not sure what to change or what to add. I would really appreciate any feedback so please criticize my work :)

vr7m9k.png

2s964n6.jpg

153papf.png

2nvxsg2.png

214w9rt.png

1inyj4.png

25737ew.png

jgnqk9.png

2zgte36.png

Replies

• Zorro
    Offline / Send Message
    Zorro polycounter lvl 4
    It's a revelation in design. Sorprendente.
  • Marshkin
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    It's an interesting idea. I do worry that it might get difficult to read, visually, when you have multiple objects in front of each other. Normally they front one would occlude the ones in the back, allowing the viewer to register the object clearly. This way, you can see through the objects, which might make them all look like one object.

The character, not being of the same style really contracts against the environment, and not in a good way. IF you're going for a super stylized look, I'd recommend keeping it consistent.

I look forward to seeing this come along, whatever direction your team chooses to take it!
  • JellyMen
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for responding
  • JellyMen
    Offline / Send Message
    &lt;P&gt;
    Marshkin wrote: »
    It's an interesting idea. I do worry that it might get difficult to read, visually, when you have multiple objects in front of each other. Normally they front one would occlude the ones in the back, allowing the viewer to register the object clearly. This way, you can see through the objects, which might make them all look like one object. &lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;The character, not being of the same style really contracts against the environment, and not in a good way. IF you're going for a super stylized look, I'd recommend keeping it consistent. &lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;I look forward to seeing this come along, whatever direction your team chooses to take it!
    ;Thanks for the feedback guys ! One question, you mean you don't like how the charachter contrasts with the enviroment, you would go with a wireframe-ish charachter or just change its style ? :)
  • JellyMen
    Offline / Send Message
    MSA07 wrote: »
    new idea but if you look a this from the player view you can see it is flat &amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;&amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;&amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;player will always want style on the games ( in texture part ) &amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;&amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;&amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;if the object is simple i think environment should be interesting &amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;&amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;&amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;thats my view &amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;&amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;and for me i will say &amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;&amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;make interisting environment with these simple object
    ; You mean like making more complex textures or reworking all the assets ?
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    The style is interesting, though I'd personally have expected a stickman character, not a doofy little robotguy.

I think, in terms of polish, the lighting and colors are really desaturated and boring. You say you went with grey-based textures, but why? It doesn't grab my attention for any of the right reasons.
  • JellyMen
    Offline / Send Message
    &lt;P&gt;
    BagelHero wrote: »
    The style is interesting, though I'd personally have expected a stickman character, not a doofy little robotguy. &lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;I think, in terms of polish, the lighting and colors are really desaturated and boring. You say you went with grey-based textures, but &lt;I&gt;why&lt;/I&gt;? It doesn't grab my attention for any of the right reasons.
    ;Thank you for responding .You have a good point, the colors might be a bit too boring and dark; I Will work more with the color pallete and with the lighting.About the main character, I will probably tweak/change him as well. A stickman sounds interesting
  • JellyMen
    Offline / Send Message
    I fear though that by using a stickman it would become very hard for the players to follow the main character...
    Maybe if I change the colors of the robot would suit better or do you guys suggest to change the whole model ?