Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diablo's Tyrael to Sons of Anarchy Biker (Re-design Project) - Looking for feedback!

Hey guys!
First and foremost I'd like to provide a little background information. I'm a University student in my final year of my Computer Games Design degree. Largely I prefer working on hard surface and character modelling, but I wouldn't say I'm specialized in these area's. Upon reaching the final year I've opted to re-design Tyrael from Diablo as a biker from Sons of Anarchy as my main piece of work, and a motorbike as my secondary piece. The plan is that at the end the two pieces will combine into a great piece of work for my portfolio!

Now I've been working on both pieces for a while now, but could really use some feedback on the character. I feel it's coming along quite nicely, but definitely has some area's that need improving; but I can't quite pinpoint them myself. I'm hoping that some of you will be kind enough to provide me with some feedback, no matter how minor it is, which will help me to improve as a 3D Artist.

3DS Max has decided to butcher some of the really fine detail from the sculpt for some reason, all of the great stuff like skin pores/wrinkles/veins are in there.

KuT7g2h.jpg
hov1ZLH.jpg

I also have a quick ZBrush turntable;
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBZYqk9GjmM[/ame]

Additionally, I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to impart some wisdom regarding rendering to me. At the moment my knowledge of it is basic at best and I really feel this is one of the things that is letting my work down. I've had a look around, but can't seem to find any guides to getting the best result out of it.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    is this for a game or for a film?
  • Har
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Har polycounter lvl 3
    You could try marmoset toolbag 2 for rendering, it renders realtime and looks great. (depending on your model / texture skills ofcourse :)).
  • Rich H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JadeEyePanda It's intended as a show-piece really, something for my portfolio, although the general direction would be for a game :)
    @Har Thanks very much I'll check it out!
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    I think it would be worth it to give this another detail pass of sculpting. There are many places where what you've sculpted is sort of a general representation of that thing, but it's time to get specific. For example (because that previous sentence was poorly worded!), take the cuffs of the pants. In real life, those would be much more defined and have distinct shapes caused by the hem and the drape of the pants/weight of fabric etc.

Here's a good reference image for that: http://www.quickstitch.co.uk/images/products/zoom/1267714381-43608300.jpg

You can see that there are many details you're missing, like the hem on the inside of the pants, the cuff hem, and the general texture and wrinkles/folds. With regard to the pants, I think you could also push the front pockets more (they're currently rather sketchily defined), and the back pockets could be larger too.

I think you could also push the materials/fabric more. Some of that will happen when you're texturing, but other aspects are important to remember at this stage too. For example, what material is his vest? The style of the back of the vest reminds me of a motorcycle vest, so I would be inclined to make it read more like leather. In that same train of thought, motorcycle vests like that tend to have pretty prominent hardware and collars, like this: http://image-cdn.zap2it.com/images/sons-of-anarchy-wolfsangel-preview.jpg (note the snaps/hardware for closing the vest)
  • Rich H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much for the feedback Carabiner!
    I agree it's certainly worth doing another pass to try and get more detail in it, because looking at it now it looks too general as you quite rightly stated.
    I did put a small amount of detail into the fabrics and such but largely I was told not to bother by my lecturer because of (as you also mentioned) the texturing process doing it for me. That said, I'll certainly try and add more than I currently have in there!
    Thanks again for your time :)
  • Rich H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still very much looking for any feedback/critique anyone may have so I can get started on improvements! :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    detail passes aside... his face looks nothing like Tyrael. I'd spend a very good long while redoing the face and head to match:
    2213559-tyrael.jpg