Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beginner 3D Artist journey to Pro Art

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Stoki polycounter lvl 9
Hi,
My name is Mateusz(or Matthew if you prefer, whatever), I'm from Poland. I'm 15 years old. I'm a beginner artist who wants to make a beautiful art, and I want to improve my skill with help of other artists from polycount. I want to show you some textures I've made recently. I've used ZBrush, xNormal, Photoshop and 3DO to render. uabrPLc.jpg?1

x8tpJDh.jpg?1

Looking for crits and tips! What do you think?

Replies

• Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Pretty good textures. The shape of the rock is a bit weird. Feels like a bunch of amorphous blobs. Though the texture itself is quite nice.

The planks could use a bit more depth and the dirt(?) around the planks is a bit strong.
  • Stoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoki polycounter lvl 9
    Just a simple example of the plank texture on mesh. I know it's not perfect, bu it's just for showcase. I think, the legs are too thin. :)

myarUzW.jpg?1
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Hi Stoki, welcome to the forum!

Looking good so far but I advice you to stay away from the almost pure black in the wooden texture, black is a killer in color shemes.
    Of to a great start, let's see some more =D
  • Stoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoki polycounter lvl 9
    OK, I'm really bad at sculpting characters, so I want to improve it, but I'm stuck, and I don't know what else can I do with this Alien, or how to improve it. There is definitely something wrong with him, any advice?

6gKS3H8.jpg?1

R8yOkVw.jpg?1

6otXeLl.jpg?1
  • Stoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoki polycounter lvl 9
    I've quickly made textures for him, just to see where I am right now. This model doesn't even have any eyes.

730Ip6r.jpg?1
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Hey great start to your character model. He's pretty cool! I'd say he's lacking in detail, perhaps elaborate on his head a little more. Take star trek species as your inspiration, maybe Klingons? http://lcars.ucip.org/images/2/24/Klingon.jpg
  • Stoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoki polycounter lvl 9
    I've added some... I don't know how to call it :D, does it look better? I think, I'm gonna go with something like water creature :)

4UYyGuE.jpg?1

ndLV08i.jpg?1
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice materials! The wood texture is a little noisy though, I'd take out a bit of that detail, or reduce the contrast a little.

Impressive stuff though! Keep it up!
  • Stoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoki polycounter lvl 9
    Well, pretty much I'm stuck, I really have no idea how to start the armor for him, I know some methods about extracting and polishing subtools, but i need some advice on making hard surface sci-fi armor. :(
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Are you talking about design or the literal technical making of said armor?

if technical, I recommend rough sculpting in ZBrush if it's complex on a different subtool, and then retopologizing as needed.
  • smessier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smessier polycounter lvl 9
    Check this out [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSPEMWhNbg[/ame].

There are so many different ways to make separate meshes for armor and anything else you can imagine; the goal is to find the technique that works best for you. It'll take a while to find that process (a couple years) so don't be afraid to try new techniques.

The cleanest way to model would be blocking out armor pieces in a low poly modeling software like Maya or Blender, importing into Zbrush and creasing edges, subdividing, deformation<smoothing globally and then working from there. The other technique I use, which is what the tutorial I linked to shows, is the blocking and retopo method in Zbrush. You start from a gooey base mesh (generally dynameshed) and just start pushing and pulling, and clay brushing around a design. Once you have a design in place, you begin to retopologize sections of the mesh into their own clean models, where you can again crease edges, subdivide, and smooth/sculpt on them.

Before you even start on the armor, this alien needs a full body. Start blocking in it's anatomy and proportions, and once you have a good base (it can be under 50K polys, and really rough) start building on top of it. If you want to be a character artist, you need to know how to draw and sculpt humans and create believable anatomy. This is going to take a long time, so it's good you've got a better head start than most 3d artists.

You may even want to bring some orthographic renders of the bust into photoshop and sketch around on top of the image, trying to do some design work that way. Photoshop is an invaluable tool for 3d art, and sometimes it can behoove you to do some planning before you start modeling. The stronger the foundation you have for every character or model you create, the easier it will be to reach the highest quality you can, and the faster you can ultimately produce content.

Good luck man.
  • Stoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoki polycounter lvl 9
    I've made some quick wall texture, I don't know if I can call this finished.

A9DHVXG.jpg?1
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Stoki! Nice to see another Polak on here!
    Welcome! your textures are loking pretty good so far, though with the newest brick one, I can't really tell as it's very dark. I nothings that with your wooden bench as well.
    For the bench you have very bright highlights, and very dark darks but no values in between.