Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sullum97 Irish Bar Looking for critique!

Sullum97
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Sullum97 polycounter lvl 6
Cheers everyone, I hope you're having a lovely start to the new year and you are all making successful art! Here's a piece I've been working on for about 2 1/2 -3 weeks. Modeled, unwrapped, and base textures are done. Going to start prepping it for Unreal 4 to make it all pretty and what not. But first images and please feel free to tear it apart and give me critiques, I always want to improve. Last image is my reference I used! Thanks!
5G3P6p2.jpgul7EsLN.jpgPaSHHom.jpgTzaGy1G.jpgdXkrcim.jpgP8ARDs3.jpgokWiMn2.jpg

Replies

• Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarran polycounter lvl 11
    very nice, excited to see this in ue4
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    Looks very interesting so far. I really want to see how this looks in UE4 as well.

I know you said that the textures still WIP, but I really hope you do something about the wooden textures. They're all very tile-like.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    looking good so far but try putting more detail into the 2 chair types, the curvature in the legs are very important for that specific style, and the leather pillows could be nicer too. if you copy it like 30 times, make them as nice as possible. the counter could also be more round, especially if you have to add the ground tiles based on the counter curvature, the edgyness will show 5 times and that will only drag the rest down
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ty kindly @Jarran I am super excited as well to do all the shader work and maybe some vertex painting to break up the monotony!

@Shrike Roger I will work on the legs in the front as well b/c they're curves really help make the chair instead of being just straight up and down like I have now. Ty for the critique!

@Joltya Tyvm, I will absolutely work on the tiling of the alcohol bottle, and the wood, most of my uvs are stacked for the wood so that's why they are tiling but I will work on it and improve it. Ty again for the suggestions!
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers again, got some lovely feedback on here and lunchcrunch and decided to go back to the drawing board and really retool this. Still need to work on the leather for the chairs, and making the wood less modular but I think im going to leave that to vertex painting, we'll see. Anyways enjoy! KSbrZco.jpg8Mh5HET.jpgThpBfLd.jpgydZYxmu.jpgtxdQGYT.jpg6KGkwGT.jpgx111Uvi.jpg
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers everyone, been a long week with me flying back to San Francisco and settling in. Finally had two days before school started to work on this some more. Got most of it into UE 4, basic lighting done, and diffuse only. C&C appreciate it!

yV9OVVH.pngEkvg6Jx.pngaPa6BFg.pngz0Z9W9s.pngghSZXl3.pngAIRIfJh.png3NMeyj8.pngMS0mTlN.png
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    Man, you can't be teasing me like this! I need more! You do need to work on the lighting a bit more though. I know you said it's a WIP, though, so I guess we'll see how that all turns out.

Also I do somewhat have a question about how you brought everything in to UE4. I'm assuming from the 3DS max version, you only brought in one of each piece (i.e. the lamps, bar stools, etc) individually and then made clones of them in Unreal?
  • robochrish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robochrish polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking nice dude.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how it all looks with the normals etc applied ^_^

One thing I noticed though. I don't know if it's just me, but the sign above the main door looks stretched.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    The modeling looks pretty solid, I'd recommend throwing in a model for a base plate for the lights to connect to though, looks a bit strange having just the cylinder going straight into the wall/ceiling. Doesn't have to be super wide, just enough to show the light connects to the pole connects to the base plate which is over the supposed hole carved out for the wiring. (you don't actually need to make a hole, just the plate that would cover it)

The lighting could use some love, especially when it comes to having shadows. Feel free to mix some stationary and dynamic shadows in there to get some interesting shapes of shadows going down from your light sources. You can do this with static lighting as well, as long as you bump up the default shadow resolution per asset, as well as having your environment split up enough. (I'm not sure if you made the objects seperate when importing into unreal engine 4, but you definitely should if you didn't already.)

I'm not entirely 100% sure about what you should do with the glass covers on the light, whether their emissive should be bumped up to get a little bloom going or the cover more transparent. Perhaps since that's tecnically a cover rather than the bulb (I believe), you can make it transparent with a low roughness to amplify highlights, and then have a simple modeled out lightbulb inside it which would be the part that would have an emissive texture/mat. So I (think) would look like the bloom is shining through from the bulb while keeping the glass/ceramic nature of the cover, although I'm not entirely sure as I have yet to put an emissive mat with bloom side of a transparent material. I'd also keep the very tips more of a bronze metal or whatever material that bronze looking color is in the photo.
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Joltya Thanks so much buddy I appreciate it greatly! My lighting is super weak I agree, unfortunately I have to teach myself as they don't teach this at my school so I am just guessing in between tutorials. I personally work in Maya (old habits die hard). I grouped each piece by similar shader and then exported as fbx.

@Robochrish Ty kindly I appreciate it. I will look into re-exporting it, I wanted the text to fit within the frame so it is stretched a bit.

@Deathstick Ty so much for the very insightful critique. Somewhere in the frenzy I completely forgot about the baseplates, I am not quite sure why, but ty so much! I wholeheartedly agree on the lighting I have no idea what I am doing, I am goign to attempt to look up some tutorials or tool around a bit to get it to look much better, I was going for a closed off afternoon lighting scheme. I'll also take a look at the opacity on the shades and the emissive as well. Once again ty greatly for the critique!
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, for the past few days I have been looking for critiques and way's to improve myself and I can not help but thank you enough for helping me get to the point it is at. It really is nice to know that I got over my fear of posting on Polycount and found a community of helpful people. By all normal standards this piece is far from done, however, unfortunately with my semester starting I am swamped with work and contests and projects and so I will have to call this finished for now. Thanks again, and as always I would love critiques and comments. Cheers everyone have a lovely week!
    IzNx3T9.pngeXUYex6.pngLGNSHF1.pngrgVfgzz.pngfRHzw6O.pngTdkcZK3.pnggMmlWuA.pngs1EjqMK.png
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my first semester I was tasked with doing this same bar. I had almost no experience, my scale was off, the layout was wrong, and I always felt guilty about how it turned out. In an effort to better understand the pbr workflow I gave myself a little over 2 weeks to accomplish this entire project and I was able to do it this time. I am quite happy with the result, but I am still sticking to my schedule of two weeks and putting this to rest. I hope you guys enjoy this!
    corey-hill-model-sheet-02.jpg?1422557548