Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Magical Girl Weapons WIP

Alrighty! This is a work in progress thread for my low poly Magical Girl weapons!

I've been on a Sailor Moon nostalgia binge, and I thought to myself, "Damn, these girls need something better than batons and mirrors to fight evil with." And so, I spent some time silhouetting designs and here's what I came up with.

I feel the side profiles are lacking in something interesting, so I could definitely use some help on that. If you see anything else I could improve, feedback/critiques/comments are always welcome!

MPYRJV0.jpg

Replies

• Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    As a magical girl myself (I made a pact with kyubei last week) I'm looking forward to this :)

silhouette are nice but they lack something. Magical girl are all about: EXCESS, too much of everything. Wings, hearth, ribbon, star, sparkles, pink, shinny stuff.

They are two way to go. Extreme costume and minimal weapon, regular costume and special weapon. Take a look at more then Sailor Moon, here's some title: Nanoha, sakuya card captor, Puella magi madoka magica, senki zesshou symphogear, pretty cure, mermaid melody, etc. Sometime they do both extreme for a better impact. In sailor moon, weapon are only used to gave a better identity, Only important senshi got weapon, the two princess and 4 mythical warrior, 3 guardians and 1 chaos (they are the outher senshi)

Just putting butterfly or a rainbow doesn't make something magical, think about the story. What would make a magical girl put a cute butterfly on a spike club ? Why would she bother putting something pretty on an ugly weapon ? It work in dokuro-chan, but she was a psychedelic sado angel killing the guy she loved over and over. How could you make a club look better ? The spike could be crystal, the club itself could have cute ribbon, you could put a pommel of crystal under the butterfly etc. Most of your concept are rather super simple weapon with rainbow and heart put on them, you need to push the concept further for them to be truly magical :>
  • Kiebler
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll try looking around a bit more and see if I can think of anything else to add to them :)
  • Heather.Hughes
  • Kiebler
    Update! Went back and revamped most of the weapons! I think they read a lot better as magical girl weapons. I'll work on some shields soon because I think they need more work. Critiques/comments/feedback is welcome!

u33jZnQ.jpg
  • Kiebler
    First model done! Comes in at 996 tris.

Feedback/critiques are welcome!

QMnlJCe.jpg