Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Recent Graduate portfolio

Tadeyingbo
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Tadeyingbo polycounter lvl 3
Hello everyone, i've been around polycount for a while but haven't really posted anything. I'm a recent college graduate and I would like to show off my portfolio and get some critique and advice on moving forward. Here is a link to my online portfolio http://tomiwa3d.weebly.com/ and here is also my demo reel.
[vv]106797139[/vv]

Thank you.

Replies

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    IMO your portfolio should go directly to images of your model, and have the demo reel on another page. So employers can quickly get an over view of your skills
  • Heather.Hughes
    You mention using zBrush on your site, but there are no examples of your normal maps. In fact, the only flats I see are of diffuse maps.
    Additionally, everything tends to look rather flat. I'd really plan on revisiting your specular (and possibly, normal) maps to really make those environments pop. Some of the stuff looks like photo-to-normal type normal maps instead of high poly baking (which you need to know how to do. Assuming you do, show it off :))

For website layout, images of your models first. Might just be my preference, but I'd rather see images than a video. Also, consider breaking up your portfolio to have each environment with its own page off the main portfolio page. Try to think about how long people will have to wait for the page to load and how much scrolling they'll have to do to see your work (especially if they're viewing your website on a mobile device).

Keep working and post more in-progress work to get feedback early and often!
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThinkKlinck polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with Doxturtle, the landing page to most environment artists sites have large images of their work to let the people hiring know if they are wasting their time or not. Recruiters have to be quick and brutal so landing on a page with a video they would most likely have to open another page just to get an idea if their work is worth looking at could be an immediate dismissal of your application.
  • Tadeyingbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadeyingbo polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! I will definitely make those changes right away.