Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Boxing Gym

StraightDraw84
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
StraightDraw84 polycounter lvl 9
A little gym in New York, the scene is inspired by WBC champion Mike Tyson and his manager the late great Cus D'amato.

I used a lot of references from "Million Dollar Baby".

mrbfar.jpg

jb4awy.jpg

e12mhf.jpg

sdn5a1.jpg

Replies

• snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    really love the textures and the lighting is awesome.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys but did you have any critique as well?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    looks awesome, but having those glowing rectangles on the floor looks a bit weird. its as if the light is coming from straight above it. having some longer highlights glancing across the beams at an angle might look a bit better. maybe a bit more subtle as well. texture work looks well thought out and executed.
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    looks washed out. And do quite agree with the glowing rectangles. Nice textures, the brick and the ring are facking nice.
  • Danimals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great Job!

There really doesn't seem to be much to critique. You really seem to have nailed the scene.

Maybe it's the perspective, but the benches seem a little off in terms of proportions. Again, it may just be the camera angle, but the top row seems very tall in comparison to the rest of the structure.

The only other thing is the object to the bottom right of the American flag on the wall. Hopefully I'm not losing my eyesight, but it looks like a stack of boards on top of a small trashcan. Either way, it doesn't really read (even though it's a minor prop).
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danimals wrote: »
    Great Job!

There really doesn't seem to be much to critique. You really seem to have nailed the scene.

Maybe it's the perspective, but the benches seem a little off in terms of proportions. Again, it may just be the camera angle, but the top row seems very tall in comparison to the rest of the structure.

The only other thing is the object to the bottom right of the American flag on the wall. Hopefully I'm not losing my eyesight, but it looks like a stack of boards on top of a small trashcan. Either way, it doesn't really read (even though it's a minor prop).

Yeah the camera angle, the bench rows are even, the stack of boards are pizza boxes, but I know what you mean hehe
  • chazzur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the floor. Very good looking worn wood. I do feel like the lighting could use a little work, feeling like that area shouldn't be so bright.
  • BubblegumTate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BubblegumTate polycounter lvl 5
    What makes the reference images very appealing that is missing a bit from your scene is the exposed ceiling elements and all the pipes. I think the addition of those would go a long way.
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    newly updated renders are up
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    That's awesome, the mood is perfect.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    The scene looks good, however I think you're missing a lot of the elements that makes the scene look "real". Just look at the reference images. No bloomy glow on the floor, No awkward point light shadows from one light source. The reference image looks "real" and your scene looks kinda like amateur CG lighting.

If you look at the levels in photoshop in each image, you can really see the disparity. In the reference there is no "over white" points.

aPXcbOO.jpg

Also, look at the difference of shading on the pillars.

5ec6tP6.png

The values of the flat sides of your pillars are 40 on the dark side, then jumps up to 67 on the brighter side. I think you should be going for a more even shading. In the reference image the dark side of the pillar is a value of 25, and the bright side is 31

So overall, you should be shooting for a lower contrast, less bright, more evenly lit scene.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    You could also consider making the lighting less uniform too.
    Something like this maybe. 6NCzv8m.jpg
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated in UE4:

34t7lad.jpg
    1z4lv7a.jpg
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Are you finding learning UE4 by "upgrading" your current project is a good way to go about learning UE4? I was at a point where I was going to do that with one of my projects, but instead decided to just learn it with a new project instead. I felt like the time and effort would be better spent with new material that was made specifically for PBR/UE4.

Whats your experience been thus far?
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well Upgrading an older project is always a good start, you've already got all the assets and textures ready to go. I did do some minor updates here and there but it definitely give you a better feel for the newer version of the engine.

I do plan to make something from scratch and throw it into UE4 but it'll later down the road. My advice would be to upgrade your older scene, got nothing to lose ;)
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Looks like the whole thing has a green tint to it, kinda weird. Also the light rays look too solid, like boxes, especially in the top image on the left-hand side.