Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My First Complete Game

Nightasy
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Nightasy polycounter lvl 2
Greetings all,

I just got done learning Unity Script last semester and for the Final Project I had to come up with an idea for a game and then create it from scratch. The assignment didn't require me to create any 3d models, sounds, particle effects, etc. It was a scripting course so it only required the scripts.

I took the assignment a step further and went ahead and slammed together as much as I possibly could given the short time frame that was available to me. Since I did take major advantage of the Quixel Suite DDo (which is I believe hosted by the Polycount site?) I decided I would go ahead and get some feedback on my game here.

Keep in mind that I only had 2 weeks to put the entire game together, including models, textures, scripts, mechanics, the works. I just wanted to get some general feedback as to how yall feel the game's models, gameplay elements and what have you came together. My Professor thought it was great and so did everyone else in the class. So here is the link to the game I made. It's called Dodge Blaster, be sure to click on the controls button so you can learn how it works.

http://www.brainpoof.com/Dodge_Blaster/Dodge_Blaster.html

I hope to hear some good feedback and hopefully some of you enjoy the game in the process of checking it out for me. Oh, keep in mind that due to the time limitations that I had I didn't have any time to do any sculpting so the normal maps are fairly basic. In total the game came out to only 47mb, which I think was a good low number for a browser based arcade type game.

In case anyone is wondering, I attend the Academy of Art University.

Here is an image of the gameplay:
dodgeblaster.jpg

Replies

• Nightasy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cross-hair isn't a bad idea at all. I'd have to take a look at how it would effect the camera. I would have to move the camera possibly closer and slightly higher then it is positioned to get a cross-hair in there.

I agree that there really is no reason to not have the default speed just be the sprint speed. That kind of wound up in there as I tend to play APB Reloaded quite a bit and that's how they have the controls set up in that game too.

A death effect was something that I had considered before. I can't remember why it didn't get put into the game. I think I was running out of time and just didn't get that in there.

Thanks for giving a look and the feedback. Some really good advice there.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    You should normalize your movement. Right now player moves faster when two buttons are pressed and slower when you select only one axis at once.
  • Nightasy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mantragora wrote: »
    You should normalize your movement. Right now player moves faster when two buttons are pressed and slower when you select only one axis at once.

That must just be a visual thing. The velocity is the same with both 1 or 2 buttons pressed such as when pressing just "w" and pressing "w + s" you get a velocity of 6. My guess is that it's a optical illusion or something like that. For instance, when you are moving vertically, you move the same speed as when you move just forward or left and right. The velocity is universal in all directions.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    When I launched it before I could run faster away from enemy by pressing two buttons. Maybe you fixed it shortly after or something didn't loaded properly.
  • Nightasy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mantragora wrote: »
    When I launched it before I could run faster away from enemy by pressing two buttons. Maybe you fixed it shortly after or something didn't loaded properly.

Something must of not loaded properly. I did just get rid of the need to use the shift key to sprint. Now the max speed is the default speed so the shift key is no longer needed. That's the only thing I've changed though since yesterday.