Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1 year mark newest and first.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
This is officially my 1 year mark since learning anything 3D. I'm loving every moment in it. Below are my first modeling creation and my latest 3D adventure. you should be able to see the difference. I hope lol :p

My first, I was super proud of it :D I didn't even know what textures were lol.
1559804_10151774230466916_1708312903_n.jpg?oh=98a83c55567c38e0b7fb0d0e6ff53cb1&oe=556BE16F

My newest that I just finished
SpTFj43.jpg?1
AWnobhS.jpg?1

We only get better by working hard.

Replies

• Lockewood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lockewood polycounter lvl 6
    Wow great progress for a year! I remember my first foray into 3D, I made a rubbish wooden table with a tablecloth and a glass on top in 3DsMax. I was so stoked >_<!

Keep up the good work mate.
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    I'm just starting out, I hope I can make as good progress as you have in one years time! Awesome stuff :)
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
    Dont want to hijack your thread but nice progressing have you decided what you enjoy most characters or making props/environments?

I started this year aswell and today is also my year anniversary; I mostly been seen on the weekly here my first model I done (non tutorial)
    Hu4XolK.png
    My most recent
    bQBxDLB.jpg
    Current
    x5mCNSq.jpg (Kamov KA-52)
    I been working daily 3-5 hours thoughout the year and progression just developed as I chugged along
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    This is cool to see. I know when I started out it was really rough, but keep working hard and you will keep improving. Im excited to see your next 1 year drop :-).

What are some of your goals over the next year?
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at Alex Rodriguez, every awesome! that was some major improvement on your part also :D I love to see other artists progress. 3-5 hours are usually my work output per day also. I pumped this last one out a little faster though. I'm trying to improve my time. finished it in 5 days, 40 hours. I decided to focus on characters now. I wasn't sure before though.

Josh_lynch I'm going to focus on creating armor and combining hard surface with organic humans or humanoid creatures. I decided that character development is what I enjoyed throughout the entire year. Environment is fun but characters are my passions right now.

thanks everyone for the support :) still got a long road infront of me. show me your first and newest also if you want. I'm interested.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I would worry less on how much time it takes you and focus more on improving your skills and getting better at making your work ever more awesome. Speed will develop quickly over time as you start to refine your trade
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I would worry less on how much time it takes you and focus more on improving your skills and getting better at making your work ever more awesome. Speed will develop quickly over time as you start to refine your trade

yea I think your right. I should focus more on quality instead. i checked out your portfolio, you seem pretty good with hard surfaces. what program do you use to sculpt or model it? do you sculpt in 3d coat at all? i saw a video on it but I never tried it. is it worth it?
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't model or retopology in 3d coat, I do UV in it and it pretty great speed up my workflow a ton. The pack tool gives a decent result but im trying to do some of it myself to get a better optimize pack. But it easy to learn and pickup, I learned it to do what I wanted in 30 minutes just from a few tips.

As for modeling I do everything in Maya, trying to get into zbrush when 4r7 comes out but trying to refine my skills good enough where I can strengthen my strengths even further with zBrush.
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't model or retopology in 3d coat, I do UV in it and it pretty great speed up my workflow a ton. The pack tool gives a decent result but im trying to do some of it myself to get a better optimize pack. But it easy to learn and pickup, I learned it to do what I wanted in 30 minutes just from a few tips.

As for modeling I do everything in Maya, trying to get into zbrush when 4r7 comes out but trying to refine my skills good enough where I can strengthen my strengths even further with zBrush.

you get free upgrade in all 4r versions on zbrush so if you're waiting for it, you don't really need to. you could buy it now and update it for free when it comes out. I love zbrush, I have a hard time doing hard surfaces with it though. it should be alot easier when 4r7 comes out though. I'm excited!
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah im waiting for a tutorial to pop up to see the benefits of r7 and apply it to my workflow so right now it early to tell. Still will be using it but investing my time to build up my portfolio and sharpen my skills to the next level to take full advantage of using zbrush to add qucker detail to me hp