Home Technical Talk

Pc upgrading

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
baconboltz polycounter lvl 5
What would you guys recommend cpu wise for rending 3d sculpts,animation,also gaming on the side and other stuff?
Only reason I'm wondering is because I want to see whats gonna fit in my cost range. :)

Replies

• ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    Go for something with a faster core speed instead of core count. I'd take the 4ghz Intel core i7 4790k quad core over any of the 6 or 8 core processors simply because of the core speed. Most applications won't fully use all of your cores which is why a higher clock speed is more important. I'd only go for the 6 or 8 core processors if you're doing a lot of rendering or video encoding

While I do some software rendering I prefer the faster processors because my day to day work is more modeling, sculpting and texture painting
  • Rhythem02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhythem02 polycounter lvl 5
    May I ask. What Power Supply are you using?
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use a corsair ax750.
  • Rhythem02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp wrote: »
    I use a corsair ax750.

Hi ZippZopp,

I'm trying to make my PC future proof. I want it to be in X99 motherboard and DDR4 memory(DDR4 memory is pretty cheap).

You mentioned that Quad core is better than 6cores for this purpose. But Intel Quad is X97 motherboard chipset. Any other processor that could be just right for what I need, maximizing it's use and future proofing it.

Wanting to find balance with getting just what's right and future proofing. May I get your opinion about my PC build.

PCS - Model
    1 - Corsair Obsidian Series 750D
    1 - Corsair AX860i Digital ATX 80PLUS Platinum Modular Power Supply
    1 - Intel Core i7-5930K 3.50GHz – 3.70GHz (6 Core) Haswell-E Processor
    1 - Gigabyte X99-Gaming G1 WiFi LGA2011
    1 - Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB 256bit ddr5 (GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD) (upgrade to 2 in the future)
    1 - Crucial Ballistix Sport DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-2400, CL16-16-16 (BLS4C8G4D240FSA/BLS4K8G4D240FSA) (upgrade to 64GB in the future)
    2 - Samsung 840 Evo Series 250GB
    1 - 1tb WDC Caviar Black (WD1003FZEX) 64mb sata dual processor hdd
    1 - Dell Ultra Sharp 27' Monitor - U2715H (used as main monitor; what I have now as second)
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like a solid build to me. There isn't anything in there I'd change. It looks like the LGA 2011-v3 chipset has the 6 core intel also being the fastest clock speed so that is nice that you'll have the fastest clock speed with 6 cores. 32gb of ram is great and I wouldn't currently do less than that.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I'm currently using the 5820k and have it easily overclocked (literally dragging a slider) to 4.0ghz with the MSI x99 sli plus mobo.

I think the 5930k has the benefit of more PCI lanes; however, with a single GPU setup, I'm not sure if the extra price is for 200mhz more per core is worth it.

If anyone else would like to chime in, or make another PC build thread, feel free.
  • Rhythem02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp wrote: »
    looks like a solid build to me. There isn't anything in there I'd change. It looks like the LGA 2011-v3 chipset has the 6 core intel also being the fastest clock speed so that is nice that you'll have the fastest clock speed with 6 cores. 32gb of ram is great and I wouldn't currently do less than that.

Someone said something about that in my thread.

That it's a waste because I'm not using 2 or more GPU.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146509&highlight=pc+build
    (look at the last post)
    I don't understand it though. PCI lanes may not be used in it's optimum.
    But aren't there any other use of the free resource(Mhz)?
    Can you explain it to me.

If you are looking for freelance work send me a message here on polycount. I saw your portfolio. Maybe I could refer you to a friend/ex-client.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    processor selection really is a personal preference as well as what you think you'll be doing with the system.

sure 200mhz per core isn't all that much, but if you do a lot of raytraced rendering that can use all of those cores, then 200mhz per core can be a substantial improvement over the course of 2 minutes worth of animated, rendered images.

also, SLI is a kind of waste for anything but gaming. no 3d application will take advantage of the SLI setup. I generally opt for the single fastest GPU solution I can get instead of dealing with SLI.

with regards to RAM, i put in as much as I can. I often have Maya, Mudbox, Photoshop and Toolbag 2 all running at the same time, and they can all chew up a lot of RAM.

for reference, this is my current system, and I've had it for close to 2 years now
    Intel 4770k Quad Core overclocked to 4.6ghz w/ Corsair H80 watercooling
    Asus z87 Deluxe Motherboard
    32gb Corsair DDR3 Memory
    EVGA Titan video card
    corsair ax750 PSU
    Samsung 840 pro 240gb SSD for my OS and applications
    WD Raptor 600gb for current projects and work
    WD 3tb Black for data storage and backup
    Corsair Force GT 240gb SSD for games
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If you are going to overclock your processor and not use SLI, the 5820k and 5930k are going to be basically the same, they both have about the same ability to overclock, since they are basically the same chip, just with different parts turned on/off and a slightly higher stock speed, but that does not affect the room for overclocking, which is pretty much just a silicon lottery. So just go with the 5820k.

I just finished building this PC earlier this week, the only reason I got the 5930k was because it was cheaper for me than the 5820k.
    My x99 mATX build

ZycoUDP.jpg

New
    • CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K $240.00 With Intel Retail Edge Program
    • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 $75.00
    • Motherboard: ASRock X99M Extreme4 -$200.00 After Mail-in Rebate
    • Memory: Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400 - $200.00
    • Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E mATX - $85.00 After Mail-in Rebate
    • Power Supply: Corsair HX650 80+ Gold - $60.00 After Mail-in Rebate

Reused
    • Storage: 2x 1TB drives + Crucial MX100 128GB SSD
    • GPU: Evga ACX GTX 760

Extra
    • 2x iStarUSA Hot-swap Cages $20 for both after Mail-in Rebate

Total cost of new parts: $880.00

More Pictures of the build: http://imgur.com/a/htgrL
  • Rhythem02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    If you are going to overclock your processor and not use SLI, the 5820k and 5930k are going to be basically the same, they both have about the same ability to overclock, since they are basically the same chip, just with different parts turned on/off and a slightly higher stock speed, but that does not affect the room for overclocking, which is pretty much just a silicon lottery. So just go with the 5820k.

I just finished building this PC earlier this week, the only rason I got the 5930k was because it was cheaper for me than the 5820k.

You saved a lot because of the rebate.Nice!