Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Great Masquerade

Hello all!

Been quite a while since I posted anything here, but I've started a series of models called The Great Masquerade. I've "finished" (pending critiques and changes made based on said critiques) two pieces already and would love to get some feedback on them.

I'm not working on any more models in the series right now in order to make something different for my portfolio before GDC (first time attendee!). However, after I'm done with the "variety" piece, I will most likely be returning to the series to add more models/make adjustments to the current pieces.

...but enough talking, here's the art!

694928_orig.jpg?350

3414713_orig.jpg?425

Turntables/texture and tri count breakdown images can be found here.

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I think a basic gradient/text would be a better way to present this. The background images are just ugly noise and really detract from the piece. The text does as well, and doesn't show any graphic design knowledge. It's just hurting the pieces a ton.

Here's something I quickly threw together. It has the model as the focal point, instead of the crappy backgrounds/text.

crit_for_heatherhughes_0001.jpg
  • Heather.Hughes
    Thanks for the feedback! I was getting bored of plain or gradient backgrounds (and worried they showed a lack of care about presentation) and wanted to stick with the model's theme, but I guess I went overboard on it.
    Thanks for the honesty. I'll work on fixing up the presentation soon as I have the chance. :)
  • Heather.Hughes
    New presentations. :)

1237698_orig.jpg?417

4775050_orig.jpg?425
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Ah, much much much better!!
  • Heather.Hughes
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    There's a lot of uvspace lost, plus I think you need to recheck your concept. I don't know their purpose put those will be extremely uncomfortable to wear at you have swirly stuff that goes flat on the top of the mount, a muscle that moves a lot when eating or talking.

Check reference mask. Venetian mask, are really simple on the bottom shape and extravagant on the top, so the wearer isn't bother by it. Those are super flat. They doesn't even fit a face, don't forget people have a nose and cheek. The support is also a huge problem it doesn't look good at all. First it's way too big and take the eye focus away from the mask itself. No one would hangs a mask with such a thin rope like that anyway. Mask are really heavy, they need huge ribbon in order to be maintain, ribbon you tie in a bow. Small elastic are use only for cardboard bask.

the other major problem here is your texture. It's really chaotic and with all honesty, it doesn't look good and most of them look like basic default stuff from photoshop. It's impossible to understand any of the material except maybe the gemstone. Make sure to make it clear: This is gold metal, this is a shiny plastic, this is marble stone, this is wood, etc. Sometime less is better, in that case it's more, keep it simple textured and add more details, it how Venetian mask are.

You really need to find reference, multiple one and construct from that point.

This is how a fire mask would like, simple ombre, not 10 differents texture/colored/material. But still lots of details with the stones.
    https://img0.etsystatic.com/027/0/5604998/il_fullxfull.570258716_4yqj.jpg

Here's a water theme mask inthe same fashion of octopus you are going for, simple blue shade. Notice there's nothing inthe way of the mouth

07350b5fde4bd6695c05b4a9c1b2752b.jpg

Hope it helps :)
  • Heather.Hughes
    Odow wrote: »
    There's a lot of uvspace lost, plus I think you need to recheck your concept. I don't know their purpose put those will be extremely uncomfortable to wear at you have swirly stuff that goes flat on the top of the mount, a muscle that moves a lot when eating or talking.

Check reference mask. Venetian mask, are really simple on the bottom shape and extravagant on the top, so the wearer isn't bother by it. Those are super flat. They doesn't even fit a face, don't forget people have a nose and cheek. The support is also a huge problem it doesn't look good at all. First it's way too big and take the eye focus away from the mask itself. No one would hangs a mask with such a thin rope like that anyway. Mask are really heavy, they need huge ribbon in order to be maintain, ribbon you tie in a bow. Small elastic are use only for cardboard bask.

the other major problem here is your texture. It's really chaotic and with all honesty, it doesn't look good and most of them look like basic default stuff from photoshop. It's impossible to understand any of the material except maybe the gemstone. Make sure to make it clear: This is gold metal, this is a shiny plastic, this is marble stone, this is wood, etc. Sometime less is better, in that case it's more, keep it simple textured and add more details, it how Venetian mask are.

You really need to find reference, multiple one and construct from that point.

This is how a fire mask would like, simple ombre, not 10 differents texture/colored/material. But still lots of details with the stones.
    https://img0.etsystatic.com/027/0/5604998/il_fullxfull.570258716_4yqj.jpg

Here's a water theme mask inthe same fashion of octopus you are going for, simple blue shade. Notice there's nothing inthe way of the mouth

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/07/35/0b/07350b5fde4bd6695c05b4a9c1b2752b.jpg

Hope it helps :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Though I planned the masks being transformative for the wearer (a la Majora's Mask), the way I modeled the bottom parts of the masks, they would be hanging a slight distance away from the cheeks, rather than flush with the face (because of the discomfort it could cause).

You were spot on about them being too flat though. I grabbed a base head mesh to double check it and I didn't curve them enough. I'll fix that up asap. :)

As for the support ribbon, I'll look into that a bit more. I didn't focus too much on it (because of my idea of them being transformative, the ribbon was mostly last minute add-on for presentation). However, I did see many similar masks with such a support this past Halloween. Thanks for the ideas though!

Most of my references were taken from masks I saw last Halloween in stores as well. I'll review them and see if I can refine everything to be more clear.

Again, thanks for the honest critique. :)
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Go for a Venetian style, halloween is know to be plastic fake stuff on every step, Halloween costume are the worse reference ever for everything.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Seriously, find good authentic references.

By using these tacky, fake Halloween knock-off style things, your work will turn out just that... tacky and fake looking.

Also, do material breakdowns before texturing so you know what you're trying to recreate. Right now I can't tell what anything is really made of, it just looks a bit cluttered. Keep up the work, looking forward to seeing more.
  • Heather.Hughes
    I did a little more tweaking to Scylla, but to really make these great, I think I'm going to have to start over with both these masks at some point. I've already begun the process for starting a different piece (for portfolio variety), so I won't be going back to them until that one is done (and this time, I'll be creating a Polycount thread for feedback MUCH earlier in the creation process - clearly, my other sources for feedback weren't giving me enough truthfulness in their critiques).

I'm not sure when I'll get back to these, but I've saved your suggestions for the next masks I had planned for the set and I'll be looking to make the next ones a ton better. :)

Once again, big thanks to everyone for the honest feedback. I won't lie and say it didn't sting a little in places, but there's no way to improve otherwise. ^_~