Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Forest Environment UE4

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Trevor polycounter lvl 4
Hello Polycount. Im looking for some c&c for my current project. Feel free to tear it apart if you want, Im always wanting to improve. The last image is my reference sheet for the trees, based on the black spruce. The environment is based off of the taiga and forests in the northern latitudes. This project is still a work in progress.

i2P07Wb.jpg
mgBWhgw.jpg
HRPeq9Y.jpg
9lORQt7.jpg

Replies

• Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great! The only thing that stuck out to me was the flowers, they are obviously repeated. Perhaps create a few different varieties to mix it up a bit :)?
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mellon3D polycounter lvl 13
    Overall it looks nice.
    Here is few suggestions:
    1.Try to fix shoreline, better blend between water and sand would be nice,you can use depth fade effect for this
    2.Also work a bit more on grass, it looks too noisy
    3.Add more variation, some small fir trees around big ones could create more interesting picture
    Keep it up!:)
  • DKeymer3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKeymer3d polycounter lvl 5
    Hey man. Just a quick question on how you approached your ground. Did you use UE4s landscape editor or did you use an external programme like world machine?
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Hi Trevor,
    This is looking very nice as a firm start, only thing left to do is some polish work as it seems to me.

Can't really add anything more than Mellon3D did, except for some details that could make the tiling of the grass less obvious.
    This is done by adding a object position ws node to the base color of the grass.
    ( example below )
    8092-worldvarmat.jpg

This will help in breaking the tiling of the grass if you can tweak it right.
    Hope this was of any help, and love to see this progress further!
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Looks great so far!

The shading on some of the foliage could be improved I think. Did you tweak the vertex normals at all? http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/VertexNormal#Foliage_Shading

Also adding some different vegetation would help as well.
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    Just as a side note: actually editing the vertex normals for foliage in an engine that has a full PBR pipeline usually gives you pretty bad results, its better to leave them as they are and work more with translucency(Subsurface in UE4) and getting more and powerful angles in your normalmap instead.

There can also be a very slight use of emissive to lighten upp the trees and fake ambient sky translucency but you have to very VERY careful with this though as just a little to much will make everything look really off, it can be combined with a simple vertex color paint at the bottom of the planes where it is most likely there will be too much black.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Damn dude this is looking really nice! No crits right now but I'm going foliage in UE4 as well so I'm definitely keeping an eye on this.

And thanks Luxap, I'm going to give that a shot instead of the SpeedTree color variation node.
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Damn dude this is looking really nice! No crits right now but I'm going foliage in UE4 as well so I'm definitely keeping an eye on this.

And thanks Luxap, I'm going to give that a shot instead of the SpeedTree color variation node.

No problem, but this is a setup I found on the internet, so you could optimize it, or use a different texture and such.
    You can message me if you have any troubles with the setup tough, and I'll help you out.
    (not a UE4 pro but I'll do my best =D)
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yea, I tested it out but the results came out super super dark. I'm not gonna derail this thread so I'll send a message when I get back to the grass!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Oh and if youre looking to add some wind to the grass I found a great tut last night that I just applied in my scene!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu70ANd8Vbk[/ame]
  • Trevor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

@Holly Mellor: Im in the process of making more flowers and ill add some variation to what I already have.

@Mellon3D: I agree the grass is too noisy. Ive got a few ideas on how to soften the look, starting by bluring the alpha. Ill add more tree variation soon as well.

@DKeymer3d: Worldmachine first, then sculpted some if it in Zbrush to get the precise forms I wanted. Landscape editor in UE4 helped with smoothing out some edges and final on the fly edits. My landscape shader is like the UE4 Landscape Mountains demo on the marketplace.

@Luxap: Thanks for the example, Ill mess around with that.

@Joost: Here are the grass normals
    vBvdI1t.jpg

@Fozwroth: Ill try that out soon, I didnt edit the foliage normals at the start of the project, but I also wasnt aware of the emissive and subsurface methods.
    Right now all foliage is using one master shader with emissive, subsurface and edited normals. One more thing, your work on BF4 is amazing and its one of the reasons I am this far into my own work.

@Beefaroni: here is my wind network.
    eMlYUYl.jpg

Here is a shot of some rocks from the scene. I made this post late last night and forgot to add it.
    rBrCV5P.jpg
  • Trevor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    I did a quick test of foliage normals, edited and default on one of the spruce trees. There is a difference but now im not sure which one is correct. I wanted to check in here before I change the normals on all of the trees and foliage in the project.
    So does it matter if the foliage normals are edited or not? Is this one of those issues where its up to me to decide which looks better or is there a clear cut way to do things?
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Well editing vertex normals is a hack to simulate translucency afaik. "real" translucency would be ideal, then you don't really need to edit the normals.
  • Trevor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    Update!

-Changed the vertex normals on the trees
    -Played with lighting and post process
    -Tweaked lightshafts
    -Added various foliage

That does it on the assets unless im missing something. If you think I am please tell me.
    Not much left to do except set dressing, texture, and shader work. I dont know whether to use a LUT texture or not since I am happy with the lighting and post process as is.
    Oh and the water shader is starting to get under my skin. Is translucency in UE4 still broken in terms of reflections or is there another hacky way of making it work? I have tried reflection captures of all types but none work for me.

C&C always welcome and very much appreciated.

PICS!!

VD6nsI5.jpg

bhcirBo.jpg

GEQ11jw.jpg
  • Trevor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    Update!

I feel thats its looking good so far but is this almost portfolio ready?? Thats a question im really struggling with.

I upped the saturation of the main directional light and added a LUT texture to help push the scene towards the early evening feel I wanted.
    Im going to shift the color of the pink foxglove plants towards purple to help them blend better with the blue flowers.

H0D4yWi.jpg

QqcBEy0.jpg

uybHgXz.jpg