Home Technical Talk

Texel Density

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Billabong polycounter lvl 15
I am trying to get my head around Texel density. I somewhat understand and I have tried using tex tools.I have been trying to set my Unwrap for my gun to 2048 in the texel density, but when I set pic2 to 2048 and right click on set, it overlaps all of my uvs. Do I need to repack them. I used uvlayout to pack it and if I take this back in uvlayout to pack it, will it keep my uvs that I just set with tex tools or will it change it. I've read all the threads I can find, but I'm still struggling. I apologize for the ignorance. One of the main reason I wanted to do this, is so Quixel suite will work correctly without tiling my textures so much.

Thank you so much for any help. I've attached a before and after of what happens to my uvs using tex tools.

-Brandon

Replies

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Nope, you're increasing the texel density, so the shells increase in size (take up more UV space, or each inch on the model takes 10 pixels instead of 8 ).
    You can:

- leave the uvs as they are, it's a negligible difference, bake at 2048

- if you must have a higher texel density, you can leave the uvs as they are but bake at an odd higher resolution (2400x2400, you can calculate how much bigger a shell is after you set the texel density and use that ratio to increase your map size)

- rescale the uvs to your desired texel density and try to fit them in the 0-1 UV space with overlapped geometry, symmetry etc, keeping the higher texel density

- rescale the uvs to your desired density and increase the map size to 4096x4096, fill in the blanks with another asset or accesory
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Billabong polycounter lvl 15
    Thank you so much for replying huffer. I understand now.

-Brandon