Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Question about painting

Hello, i was wondering could someone help me i have been paining my maya model in 3d coat and its just that the colors i apply look so fake or just weird. i know the model is not fully colored i stopped due to the weirdness/oddness of the colors and came to here for help. So basically im asking how to make the color look vaguly better and not fake or like they were applied by a bucket.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    dakiaiu:

3Dcoat has a bad default renderer. Emphasis on default since things like that can be fixed. Unless you're willing to go dumpster diving for that information, it's going to more or less look like that. There are lighting and visual adjustments you can make in the upper right corner of the viewport underneath the Opacity slider, but my experience has been less than satisfactory with that as well. It won't look that much better in Maya unless you jimmy with shader materials and rendering.

I've never really had to find a solution to this since, in my head, my final renders happen in a game engine like UDK or Marmoset Toolbag 2, which has an easier time of making game art look good.

Besides the software itself, I'm also thinking your lowpoly model hasn't had its normal smoothed, so you see faceting happening on the surface of the model. It may also be your ability to sculpt and paint that is hampering the model's quality. I'm seeing the character something akin to a really rough clay figurine and not an animatable character. It could definitely use a lot more clean up and finesse.

It may also be UVs. It's a rule of thumb for most game artists to minimize the number of indivudal UV islands you have on a texture sheet. This is mostly to prevent issues like weird antialiasing issues between UV islands, etc. From what I see from your UV island, it looks like you just ran it through a program and called it a day, instead of cutting it up and sewing it based on a logic. A much more cleaner workflow approach may be the shirt having it's own set of UV islands, and then the skin separated from the shirt UVs. The way it is right now, if I were to open it up in Photoshop, I would have a very rough time of figuring out where to paint to get the textures I want. This would make me sad. We can't always assume other game artists have polypainting programs to edit textures.

Are you planning to paint in the lighting and shadows into your diffuse texture?