Home Technical Talk

PC Build - What do you think? Opinion?

Rhythem02
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Rhythem02 polycounter lvl 5
Hello Guys

I just finalized the build of PC that I need for work.

Main use (In order of use)
- ZBRush (Sculpting highly detailed human characters and creatures)
- Max, Maya, XSI
- Vray or Mental Ray
- Key Shot
- Marmoset tool bag

** I mainly work in games and occasional 3d Illustrations.

Here are the main components
Parts Model
CASE 1 x Corsair Obsidian Series 750D
COOLER 1 x CPU Cooler- Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler
PSU 1 x Corsair Pro Series AX1200i 80 Plus Platinum (1200watts)
CPU 1 x Intel Core i7-5930K 3.50GHz – 3.70GHz (6 Core) Haswell-E Processor
MOBO 1 x Gigabyte X99-Gaming G1 WiFi LGA2011
GPU 1 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming 4gb/256bit ddr5
RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866MHz
SSD 2 x Samsung 840 Evo Series 250GB
HDD 2 x 1tb WDC Caviar Black (WD1003FZEX) 64mb sata dual processor hdd

I have 1 monitor at the moment so I need this as main Monitor - Dell Ultra Sharp 27' Monitor - U2715H
then use what I have now as second monitor for references etc.

Anything that you guys want to include or wants to edit
-So far I'm a bit unsure about the PSU is it too much? There is another PSU that's only a bit over 1K watts.
-I'm also planning to upgrade it after 3-6 months to 64GB Ram and additional GPU.

Thanks ^_^

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My take, you're planning to waste a lot of money to buy things you will only use a fraction of. It seems like you went "what's the most insane part? I'll take 2", heh.

Most parts these days can push enough pixels and polys without the need for liquid cooling or insane power supplies. Liquid cooling is not needed unless you're deep into overclocking which isn't even really needed for gaming these days.
    -So far I'm a bit unsure about the PSU is it too much? There is another PSU that's only a bit over 1K watts.
    I'm pretty sure the PSU is overpowered, don't over buy just the for the hell of it. Use a power supply calculator to figure out what you need.

Most of the apps that are used to make games won't benefit from an additional GPU or even take advantage of the ram. So it's expensive overkill that will only be used when playing games and only when playing games that are specifically designed to take advantage of it. Which is not a lot, because most games are designed with low end console hardware in mind and middle of the road PC's. It's suicide to design a game that only runs on .01% of machines out there and it's a waste of resources trying to make the existing experience better for such a small crowd of people.

As far as I know, ZBrush is still a 32bit app that can't use more than 16gb of ram. They've been promising to change this for a really long time, but I think it's still the case.

Of course it helps if it has a full 16 dedicated to it so your OS and other apps could be running in their own space eating up 16-24gb and zBrush could have it's own 16gb chunk, but then you're at 32-40gb and everything has more than enough ram to do what it needs to do without tripping over the other processes. Again before overbuying on ram make sure you're using the 64gb you are planning on getting.
    -I'm also planning to upgrade it after 3-6 months to 64GB Ram and additional GPU.
    Make sure your motherboard actually supports another 64bg from what I can tell it caps out at 64gb so that might be a useless purchase. Also if you don't need a second GPU you could probably dial back the mobo and save a ton of cash.

Personally if you trim the fat, and there is a lot of fat to trim, you could probably take a vacation, buy a nice desk, a good chair, a decent tablet, a new phone or pay down some debt?

It's up to you, but I think you're throwing money into something you'll barely use, even though you'll be using it all the time...
  • Rhythem02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Mark Dygert

Thanks for your opinion. I really appreciate it.

PSU. Yes, I will trim it down to lower model.

RAM. For that, I had some mistake I posted 64GB as initial build. It's actually 32GB as initial build then will upgrade to 64GB after 3-6 months depends on ZBrush. But I'm quite sure that the 64bit ZBrush will be released this year.

Cooling. I live in a Tropical country and it get's really hot here. So I considered that factor in this build.

GPU. Would you elaborate on that which model I specifically need.

If you have anything more to say. You are more than welcome to blurt it out.
    I have to admit I'm on the "Just Buy the premium stuff anyways you are going to use it for years" kind of thinking right now. That's the reason why I'm posting this build before actually ordering it.

Thanks
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Wow you're building a killer PC.

I agree with Mark with all his points though, there's a looottt of over the top parts here.

I wouldn't trim down the PSU loads if you're going to get a second GPU but I agree with Mark that a second GPU really isn't needed nor will it be used well. Also you want to make sure you're still getting an 80 plus certified PSU. Here is a Tom's Hardware guide on choosing a PSU: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/power-supply-protection-calculate-consumption,review-32356.html

The rule of thumb is "After you’ve added up everything I recommend, multiply the total power consumed by all your components by 1.5 to estimate the size of power supply required." This gives you headroom for upgrading and you can hit the PSU efficiency sweet spot. The PSU is a critical component so don't skimp out on it, but 1200 is perhaps overkill.

I thought 32bit apps use 4GB, not 16, source on 32bit Zbrush's current ram spec: http://pixologic.com/zbrush/system/

But as you said Rhythem02 they are bringing out 64bit as R7. I've always considered more than 16gb of ram to be overkill, so is 64 really worth it? Would a ram disk be better/cheaper?

About liquid cooling, bear in mind that it's not that much cooler than air and it also requires regular maintenance. If you're not overclocking or pushing 4ghz by default I'd just stick with air, even if you live in a tropical environment. Bear in mind that the K series processors are designed to take a little more heat as well, the die material introduced in the devil's canyon series is easier to cool as well iirc.

You can afford all this? I'd strip out most of the stuff you know you can live without because other than bragging rights it wont add much and will burn a hole in your pocket.

If you don't already have a monitor to pair with that other one I might recommend going with a dual monitor set up with the money you save from cutting back the extreme components. I can't go back now, reference and music on one side, work app on the other.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    For Ram i would rather take 16Gb of DDR4 for that price then 32GB of DDR3 unless you're on a budget and absolutely need 32 for whatever rendering purpose.

Nothing wrong with the water cooler. H100i is a closed system. The heat is transfered to fans on the top instead of blown inside the PC > cooler and hence quieter PC and longer lifespan of your parts. Has advantages even if you don't overclock.
  • Rhythem02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Axis

oh god no. I don't want bragging rights. I'm not one of those folks.
    I just want a good PC that I could use for years, that has room for upgrades.

So far all I can see is pull back on the PSU, use 32GB RAM, pull back on the cooling system, and GPU Model.

For the GPU which model is suited for me?

Thanks!
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    The GPU is great. I got an 980 aswell for my new PC and am very happy with it. Keep that if you can afford it. I would pick one from Asus or MSI tho. Gigabyte fans are a bit flimsy.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most people I know that build their own systems take a step or two away from top of the line. Nearly the same performance at a fraction of the cost. Or wait 6mo and buy that exact list of parts at a fraction of what it costs today, heh.

Cooling could be important but I don't trust liquid cooling. It can be disastrous if it fails. I wouldn't do liquid cooling on my own, I would get a closed system which is more expensive. But its really not an area you want to cut corners.

A liquid system can also make upgrades later, tougher there is a higher chance of failure and to me the risk isn't worth it when air cooling does the job. Personally I'd only consider liquid if I had built a few systems and exhausted every option for air cooling.

For most things the apps used to make games aren't going to push anything hard enough to really need even advanced air cooling hardware.

Often in warm climates the problem is moisture and humidity not really heat. A liquid cooling system could introduce moisture not really through leaks but through condensation, depending on what fluid gets used.

It's your call, but personally I've never seen a genuine need for it. Before taking it on, I think you should read as much as possible about the pros and cons.

Some more info:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2028293/liquid-cooling-vs-traditional-cooling-what-you-need-to-know.html

These guys go over pros and cons of liquid cooling on the GPU.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTXUzPx-6XQ[/ame]
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Ah that's another great point about liquid cooling. Despite my discouragement I would like to do a water cooled pc build one day, but that's purely the hobbyist in me wanting to push hz on a processor. I just don't think I'd do it in a computer I'd like to use daily without any stability/reliability issues.

If you're deciding to go air, I'd recommend Noctua, their colour schemes are ugly but their in a league of their own when it comes to premium air cooling. I think they were doing something about their colour scheme recently as well so you might be able to pick up a great looking one.

I agree with Steppenwolf here on the GPU too, 980 is a brilliant card I wish I could afford haha. I'm getting it's little brother, the 970 soon and even that is a beast.
  • Rhythem02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 wrote: »
    Ah that's another great point about liquid cooling. Despite my discouragement I would like to do a water cooled pc build one day, but that's purely the hobbyist in me wanting to push hz on a processor. I just don't think I'd do it in a computer I'd like to use daily without any stability/reliability issues.

If you're deciding to go air, I'd recommend Noctua, their colour schemes are ugly but their in a league of their own when it comes to premium air cooling. I think they were doing something about their colour scheme recently as well so you might be able to pick up a great looking one.

I agree with Steppenwolf here on the GPU too, 980 is a brilliant card I wish I could afford haha. I'm getting it's little brother, the 970 soon and even that is a beast.

Man, I saw the Noctua Air Cooling. Yeah they are butts.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's no reason to get the 5930K over the 5820k, unless you are going to do 3x SLI.

A Even at 750 Watt PSU could handle that CPU and 2x GTX 980.
  • Rhythem02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    There's no reason to get the 5930K over the 5820k, unless you are going to do 3x SLI.

A Even at 750 Watt PSU could handle that CPU and 2x GTX 980.

now that confuses me. Can you explain the co-relation of 3x SLI with the processor?

And so far from what I'm reading. I don't think I'll have multiple GPU or SLI.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    i7-5820K is $300 from Microcenter, 3.6 GHz boost, 28 PCIe lanes.
    i7-5930K is $500 from Microcenter, 3.7 GHz boost, 40 PCIe Lanes.

The i7-5930K is only better if you need those 40 PCIe lanes. That extra .1 Ghz isn't worth $200.