Home Technical Talk

[Maya] - Easily selecting verts of mult objects

Heyoooo Folks! Happy 2015 to all ya'll!

Got a quick (and probably simple) question for you guys.

In Maya you can change multiple, separate objects to vert mode at once so you can manipulate them without them being one object (unlike 3ds). I'm having selection issues doing this though because I cannot simply marque drag to select all of the verts, of all of the different objects at once...

Maya seems to focus in on one one object at a time (which is nice at times). Is there a way to override this so I can just drag select all the verts from multiple objects?

Ideally a shortcut command so I can switch back and forth would be ideal. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks guys. This forum has been a large help in my learning Maya (which I am loving so far). Cheers!

Replies

• JoakimMellergard
    Hi!
    Happy new year :)

I'm not sure if that feature exists in Maya but if all you want to do is to select all the vertices you can use this little python script.
    import maya.cmds as cmds

for each in cmds.ls(sl=True):
        cmds.select(str(each)+".vtx[*]", add=True)
        cmds.select(each, d=True)

Use it by selecting all your desired objects and run the script.
    Hope it helps!
  • 9krausec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome script dude. Thanks for the help! I found what I was looking for already integrated into Maya though. Select by components is doing exactly what I want it to do. Select my individual objects, tick that, select Verts and I can clump select everything together!

Thanks though for the reply!

2015-01-04_1649.png
  • JoakimMellergard
    Great! :) Thank you - that's good to know!
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    Another way, if you change to component mode with the right click marking menu you'll only get the last object you selected. If you use the hotkeys for component modes (default F9-F12) you'll get all the objects you have selected.