Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

my journey in art

Cid
Cid
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Cid polycounter lvl 3
this is my first model in zbrush . I actually wanted wanted to make a character but its way too hard so im going to start small.Every tip is welcome :)

2hrq4cp.jpg

i'll be posting my progress here .

Replies

• Cid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cid polycounter lvl 3
    im trying to sculpt hits character right now

creating_a_stylized_character_turnaround_tutorial_by_conceptcookie-d5u4wed.jpg

the concept is made by conceptcookie.

this is my progress right now

2zfplbk.jpg

im having trouble with the eyes and mouth though :/
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    If you have some experience with 3D modelling I would suggest you start with modeling to create the baseform and then switch to zBrush for the details. At the moment you seem to me to be struggling with the base shapes and dynamesh actually doesn't help with that from what I've seen with other students and from my own experience.

In any case before you start sculpting the details, you need to focus more on the base shapes and propotions. You are trying to do a stylized character, so the forms aren't that difficult to spot in your reference.

For example your chin & jaw are to pointed, while in the reference they are quite wide and your eyes are compared to the reference too small.

My suggestion is to use as little geometry and detail as needed to focus on those main shapes and only then start sculpting the details. Always start at the basics and then go into detail. Another example would be your eyes - you probably noticed that your sculpt's have oval shapes, while the reference are rather squares with rounded corners.

Last advice keep the objects seperated - head & hat & glasses. It will be a less destructive workflow. So if your head is done, changes on the hat won't influence the head's geometry.

In any case, have fun with it and good luck :)
  • dimosM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a tutorial in blendercookie where they actually make this character. Even though they dont use zbrush its a very good introduction to poly modeling, sculpting and retopologizing in general. If you have access to it and you actually like blender i suggest you give it a go.
    Other than that i agree with pretty much everything Biomag saied.