• repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
  • DavidJones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidJones polycounter lvl 4
    Great idea! I do think it would be nice to be able to export the Low Poly as .FBX and also have some sort of batch baking capabilities similar to xNormal Batcher

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126610&highlight=xnormal+batcher

Looking forward to the initial release!
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    This is turning out to be quite a good christmas. This is a much needed kit.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Man, some people really hate xNormal's UI :D

Will the kit add any functionality not already present in xN/pipelineIO? Because as far as I can tell this just bypasses xNormal's UI so doesn't do much different for those who already have pipelineIO/xNormal set up (although, the presets could be useful for those working on multiple projects at a time, as you wouldn't have to manually reconfigure your inputs and outputs in xN every time you switch projects). A possible idea here could be to bake OS (Either natively in modo or xN; the former makes more sense though) and interface with handplane to generate the TS map; that automation could be a small timesaver. You'd want it toggleable in the UI though as only the final bake really needs to pass through handplane.

You might also want to include ways to configure xN's output image settings (like if you want 16bit tiff; can't see that in the UI currently, and if tiff isn't default 16bit then you'd have to go into xN's UI anyway).
  • BackSlash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BackSlash polycounter lvl 18
    Bek wrote: »
    Man, some people really hate xNormal's UI :D

Will the kit add any functionality not already present in xN/pipelineIO? Because as far as I can tell this just bypasses xNormal's UI so doesn't do much different for those who already have pipelineIO/xNormal set up (although, the presets could be useful for those working on multiple projects at a time, as you wouldn't have to manually reconfigure your inputs and outputs in xN every time you switch projects). A possible idea here could be to bake OS (Either natively in modo or xN; the former makes more sense though) and interface with handplane to generate the TS map; that automation could be a small timesaver. You'd want it toggleable in the UI though as only the final bake really needs to pass through handplane.

You might also want to include ways to configure xN's output image settings (like if you want 16bit tiff; can't see that in the UI currently, and if tiff isn't default 16bit then you'd have to go into xN's UI anyway).

What you see is what you get right now. I have used modo and xnormal for years and I have it about as optimized as possible, just felt this was the missing link for my uses.

The kit defaults to my standard options/uses which are also my hardpaths for xN. However, with the tool I will be able to quickly and easily step outside a rigid workflow if I want, without interfacing with the beast that is xN.

More improved functionality will come as I get more and more commands in, and sort out better ways to organize and set up my forms/commands.. right now i'm running out of real estate.

EDIT: Oh and yes to image support, it's partially integrated now, still sorting inner workings. It will be in the initial release.
  • BackSlash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidJones wrote: »
    Great idea! I do think it would be nice to be able to export the Low Poly as .FBX and also have some sort of batch baking capabilities similar to xNormal Batcher

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126610&highlight=xnormal+batcher

Looking forward to the initial release!

While I don't know if I can reproduce all the capability of that app, I can definitely add in some related baking options. My first step in that direction will be adding in multiple HP/LP sources with enable/disable functionality. Will look into fbx export, iirc pipelineIO (which i'm currently using) doesn't support the native FBX exporter.

UPDATED:
    Did some re-organization and setup some additional inputs. UI and functionality still needs work.

tool_xnmodo7.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Oh man. This looks great!
  • genwu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Can't wait for this guy, keep up the good work!
  • DavidJones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far! Would it also be possible to add a setting to bake an object space normal map as well?
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    That's dope! Will check it out soon.
  • BackSlash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far! Would it also be possible to add a setting to bake an object space normal map as well?

When the TS setting is unchecked it bakes OS.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    That's a great idea and I've been actually waiting for someone to make it happen :) Implementing pipelineIO is also a great idea, perhaps you could make an ui to change it's exporting options (you know the letters you put at the end of command line to choose which properties you want to export).
  • BackSlash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi wrote: »
    That's a great idea and I've been actually waiting for someone to make it happen :) Implementing pipelineIO is also a great idea, perhaps you could make an ui to change it's exporting options (you know the letters you put at the end of command line to choose which properties you want to export).

I agree -- In the plans :)
  • BackSlash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE:
    additional credits: smart triangulate (Mynglam) // xn output base (orange duck) // morphexport (svartberg)
    tool_xnmodo8.jpg

Ironing out the initial release..Looking for moderate to advanced modo users that wanna give this a go and help test. Please PM. Thanks!
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Whhoaa ! this looks fantastic just there.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Might want to send this to "Snefer" AKA Tor Frick, He does a lot of Modo -> UE4.
  • DavidJones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BackSlash wrote: »
    When the TS setting is unchecked it bakes OS.

Yeah...but what I meant was you can render normal (TS), Height, Base, AO etc. in one pass. If you want to render Object Space, you have to uncheck normal TS and then bake again. It would be nice to render object space, along with normal TS, height, AO etc. in the same pass. That's what xNormal batcher does and it's a nice feature.

If it's not possible that's OK...its looking really good!
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Great update. Now is that possible to bake matID colors into base map? afaik xnormal needs some vertex color data or different polygonIDs to bake matID colors. Would be super cool to be able to bake actual modo material colors in xnormal. Sometimes modo diffuse coefficient output giving wierd coloration at the padded areas which messes up things and confuses the application matID plugged in(eg quixel). Dunno if anyone else experienced a problem like this before.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    igi wrote: »
    Sometimes modo diffuse coefficient output giving wierd coloration at the padded areas which messes up things and confuses the application matID plugged in(eg quixel). Dunno if anyone else experienced a problem like this before.
    Can't say I've seen that. Really though I'd be looking to do the dilation in PS w/ nX plugin before trying to get vert colours from modo to xN for a bake. Not that doing so couldn't be handy in other situations. Also the seam termination feature in ddo requires a black background (no padding)... so if you use that problem avoided. Got any pics or .lxo scenes though? Works fine on my end.
    ZacD wrote: »
    Might want to send this to "Snefer" AKA Tor Frick, He does a lot of Modo -> UE4.
    You'd have to convince him this is faster than a ray distance bake first :D And also that the round edge feature is terrible and causes cancer or something.
  • BackSlash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    You'd have to convince him this is faster than a ray distance bake first :D And also that the round edge feature is terrible and causes cancer or something.

My intention is not to replace modo's powerful baking but to add a quick way to use an xnormal based pipeline within modo. The todo list is getting longer and longer :)

as for baking out colour maps, I have a fairly straight forward method with xN. I am working on a way to automatize the modo end of it completely though.

will get to pm's soon, thanks guys
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    This is pretty damn sweet! Though I only use xnormal for converting my object space normals, I still shudder everytime I have to start that program ^^
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    this is awesome man!!!!

Is it possible to choose layers as highpoly and lowpoly meshes and render with them instead of exporting and importing objs ?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer wrote: »
    This is pretty damn sweet! Though I only use xnormal for converting my object space normals, I still shudder everytime I have to start that program ^^
    I'm really hoping that we get command line access to that stuff at some point so we don't need to open it.

Hopefully to Handplane, too.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Yeah...but what I meant was you can render normal (TS), Height, Base, AO etc. in one pass. If you want to render Object Space, you have to uncheck normal TS and then bake again. It would be nice to render object space, along with normal TS, height, AO etc. in the same pass. That's what xNormal batcher does and it's a nice feature.

If it's not possible that's OK...its looking really good!

that's a limitation of xNormal, not this tool.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I recall, you can bake a bent normal map in xNormal and if you leave the settings at default, it's identical to an object space map.
  • BackSlash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys!
    Farfarer wrote: »
    If I recall, you can bake a bent normal map in xNormal and if you leave the settings at default, it's identical to an object space map.

Those old memories are correct - Just integrated bent normal for that ability, saves having a switch to have it run a second pass.
    ahtiandr wrote: »
    this is awesome man!!!!

Is it possible to choose layers as highpoly and lowpoly meshes and render with them instead of exporting and importing objs ?

Sort of at the moment: you need to set up your explode morph maps and cages on any mesh you want to export but you can keep them organized how you want, you just need to select each layer and hit your preferred export. The FBX HP export will automatically freeze your curves/geo on export so it doesn't bog down your main scene.

EDIT: Replied to pm's
  • BackSlash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Released an alpha over on the modo forums if anyone wants to give it a go. Finally got it all sorted into an .lpk

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=83&t=95100

Post any feedback here or there. Thanks.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks BackSlash for this high level of generosity, i am going to play around your plugin and report back.

Best of wishes.
  • popawheelie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    popawheelie polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks a ton for your work on this BackSlash!

Would it be possible to add "Bake Hipoly vertex colors" to the UI?
  • ledyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    link is dead, can someone reupload? pleease