Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Assassin Hideout

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
Starting a new scene, which will be made in UE4, it's based on a piece of concept art by fellow polycounter Torben Lindstrom.

5_UWBK2t.jpg
image hosting over 5mb

Started a quick blockout in Maya, got the concept view so far, and thinking about what might be in the rest of the room.

Capture_Blockout.jpg
image hosting 30 mb

Think I might make it a bedsit type room, with a bed or sofa or something behind the camera but not sure yet.

Capture_Blockout2.jpg
screen shot windows

let me know what you all think :D

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    far to early to say much, keep going.
    The roof looks a little low compared to the reference
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    yea way too early, keep rockin it
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Carl I'll take a look at the roof height.

Yeah I thought it may be a little early, but usually I'm way too late so wanted to get feedback from the ground up this time :)
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, still getting my head around PBR materials, but for now here is a primitive with a little test of my wall/concrete texture, I have 3 diffuse maps I can paint between, one normal colour, one with wear/cracks, and a rough cracked concrete.

Capture_Wall.jpg

Here is what my material currently looks like, just for fun, defo needs a massive clean up!!

Capture_Material.jpg
  • Proxywars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, still getting my head around PBR materials, but for now here is a primitive with a little test of my wall/concrete texture, I have 3 diffuse maps I can paint between, one normal colour, one with wear/cracks, and a rough cracked concrete.

Capture_Wall.jpg

Here is what my material currently looks like, just for fun, defo needs a massive clean up!!

Capture_Material.jpg
    Immediently make some comments on it to group them. 0_o Don't let it get that bad next time, The wall in focus looks really nice but the sides look indentations look like a diffuse map, if your going that deep then you want to model in low poly. Once its organize than I can critique the material a bit more.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    I haven't looked into UE4 yet, but the results seem a little ordinary for such of complicated nodes.

just asking out of curiosity, couldn't the material be simpler ?
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I haven't looked into UE4 yet, but the results seem a little ordinary for such of complicated nodes.

just asking out of curiosity, couldn't the material be simpler ?

While the preview sphere looks really simple the walls show some very nice and subtle differences in material treatment. The node network also isnt all that complicated. Once its organized it will look a lot less nonsensical and superfluous.
    The exposed concrete is definitely showing its normals off a bit too much though.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    great concept! Looking forward to see more!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like a good start.

Be careful with your texel-density though! The damaged walls and the map have a much better texture resolution compared to the ceiling, floor, and table.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    its starting to look sexy. can't wait to see where this goes. and i'm assuming roof is a placeholder texure right? lol
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone thanks for the crits and kind words.

@peanut reverendk nailed it on the head really it's all about painting on subtle variations, meaning I can use the same tileable texture for all the walls, and paint on cracks etc in the right places from the concept, round the doors etc.

But yeah the material isnt that complex really, down the left is all the usual lerping etc, and up top is an alpha mask so that the painting isn't too soft and has a more cracked feel.

@reverendk I will definitely tone down the normals, or at least boost them in photoshop and not with a multiply.

@tobbo and @luge the wall (and to some extent the map although this isn't final) is the only ones that are finished, the rest are default materials added to poorly UV mapped blockout geometry :D
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    ok, was gonna say, that is one sexy wall... but the rest, kinda brings it down a notch ;). can't wait to see your next update.
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a fridge, deviated from the concept a little and made it a similar green to the wall instead of the reddish colour, used dDo for the base of this texture, which I've never used before but think it came out OK.

Not that sure about the graffiti placement. Anyhow feedback appreciated.

Capture_Fridge.jpg
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update to this scene, not been working on it as much as I would like to so not alot of new assets finished. Hoping to get quite a bit done over this weekend :D

2dhv8kw.png
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having a lighting issue if anyone has any input it would be much appreciated. The image on the left is the back wall before I build lighting on it, where we can see the light from the window (abd even if you look back a couple of images ago I was getting nice lighting on this wall).

90svbt.jpg

However, looking at the image on the right it seems the wall is now ignoring the light coming from the window. Light map res is appropriate and like I said it was working before so not sure whats happening. . .
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    From far away the wall looks nice but it seems when you get up close it looks a biot pixelated?

Also your fridge normals look a bit funny? Can I see the normal map? and the edge wear on the fridge seems a bit too uniform?

Its looking cool though! Look forward to more!
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've managed to come up with a temporary fix for my wall just now while some boffins at Unreal investigate the issue :D so hopefully get that looking good soon.

SaferDan you might be right about my Normal Map for the fridge, it was my first time using Ddo for the base texture, so that might have something to do with it. Here it is anyway for you to have a look at.

xeilop.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah you have big gradients on the front which makes the front look inverted instead of flat. I havent used much Ddo but I would try and get that looking flatter!
  • Rabant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From my experiences, the gradient is from an issue with the base bake. I would go back and make sure everything is initially baked correctly before going into Ndo. You don't want to have any of that gradient on a flat surface. Ndo is great for speeding up workflow, but it won't fix errors in bakes. I've learned this the hard way working on a few assets :)

The wall looks good, but still a touch too clean. I know you are likely in the stage of just filling the environment, but don't forget to add some decals to help further break up the wall visually.
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm yeah it appears that it was the initial bake, and by the looks of it the Normals have been inverted aswell, I'll fix this up tonight hopefully. :D
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, have just started getting back onto this recently.

I have started with making the floor a wooden texture now, to break up the concrete.

2wgu8b4.png

I have also completed another couple of props including a sniper:

14b6ahl.png

And because I'm not staying 100% faithfull to the concept, and wanted another light source, I added a laptop. Although I will still be adding some other props on the table from the concept like the radio etc.

dm5iwz.png
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    Really nice! Looking forward to the final render :)
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    I love the progress so far, but the floor looks a little too clean while everything else is so messed up. You may already have plans to mess it up with vertex paint materials, but if not, you should definitely consider making those floorboards more irregular, torn up, and weathered. Currently, they feel like a linoleum floor instead of wood. I'm not sure why, but the table bothers me as well.

It's coming together really well though.
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks again for the feedback I have been working on some changes the last couple of days.

@tristanCarter, Starting with the floor I have taken your advice and made it more of a bare floorboard texture, looking for some feedback on this.

wmjblu.png

I also tweaked the normals and the color of the table, I think it was the normals anyway that were making it look strange.

70g6dz.png

Also started playing around with Graffiti, which is looking not too bad I think, although i would like a softer edge on some of it, but with the transparency still being broken in UE4, the sharp masks will have to suffice for now.

dyxd8n.png
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also I should mention that I am still planning on vertex painting the floor to get some nice dirt and dust along the edges of the walls.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As an eye catcher, the blinds and the stark lighting cast through them is terrific.
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @WarrenM

Thanks but I can't really take credit for that, UE4 is doing the legwork on that one :)

Had to upres my lightmaps on the wall and floor to something ridiculous like 2048 to avoid jaggies but seems to work for now unless I can find a more performance friendly solution, starting to take a while to build lighting :(
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, long time no update :)

Been working on this scene again recently, and have a few new progress shots to show for feedback and crits before I continue on with the scene.

The scene has kindof evolved beyond the original concept a little and I am trying to keep the original mood and atmosphere as well as adding some unique additions.

2hzj240.jpg

I ended up changing the cooker and the fridge and moving the fridge to the end of the kitchen area, just think it fits better, will think of something else to put in place of the old fridge.

10qgd37.jpg

Been adding more decals to the walls, including broken plaster and patches as well as bullet decals to add a little story.

121q2jp.jpg

Crits welcome, trying to decide where to go next on this one.
  • Holland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holland polycounter lvl 9
    I think what you need are little patches of dirt and dust on the floor. Look at any old or abandoned interior and there is usually a build up of dust. Think about the plaster that has fallen off of thew walls and ceiling, t will help break up the floor as well.

Also you can start adding smaller details such as light switches, wall sockets and maybe a few wires or pipes. You seem to have a light in the room but no light source, so some sort of bulb or old lamp wouldn't go amiss.

The big picture is getting there but it's the little details that will really bring a space together. Keep up the good work :)
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Hey it's looking good so far.

Maybe you might want to think of some architectural details as well to break up the singular box room feeling as well. It doesn't have to be too crazy, but a slight extrusion in the corner of a wall/some type of architectural element that implies either a support beam or another room/closet could break it up a bit.

You'll see this kind of simple design element a lot in the maps of Half-life 2 for example Half-Life_2_%28PC%29_16.jpg

Then there's always things like rounded corners, L-shaped rooms, open arch/walkway walls, etc that might help bring the architecture to life a bit more.

Things like ventilation, inset lights or regular lights, support beams, etc could help on adding some more character to the ceiling and other things like perhaps a busted wall since it's a rather dirty room, etc.

Maybe some opened tin cans, water/beer/beverage bottles by the rifle either by the window or on the crates could help with the story of a lone sniper waiting for his/her target.

Just throwing some ideas out there, feel free to take or nay what you will :)

Keep it up!
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys :)

Plaster on the floor is a good idea, gonna try both a mesh and normals as well as a normal decal and see which looks better.

Also was planning on adding light switches and sockets etc. there's actually a bulb in the ceiling at the moment just can't see it in any of the pictures.

Adding more architectural elements is something I had thought of but wasn't sure what I was gonna do and kinda forgot about it, I like the idea of simple extrusions like HL2 so cheers for that ref :)
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, been a while since my last update on this scene. Got a new job etc, and made an attempt at the throne room challenge, although couldn't dedicate the amount of time to it I would have liked.

I have decided to expand the scene beyond a single room. I think it was holding me back from adding some of the assets that I wanted to add. Just been making some props for now and some new materials. Haven't got a layout yet, but thought I would share what I've been working on so far.

23l0fpg.png

2mye0q1.png

Feedback Appreciated :)