Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Full Metal Alchemist Environment

ScottHoneycutt
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
Hello Polycount once again! :poly009: My next environment piece is from the anime/manga Full Metal Alchemist, specifically the room from Episode 3 "Mother" (first anime series) where Ed and Al tried to transmute their mother back to life:

hF3ZEbp.jpg

Back in 2005 when I first decided I wanted to be a game artist, I went through an inspiring period where I began drawing and watching animations again, signed up for school and began watching Cartoon Network, including Adult Swim. I still remember the first night I watched anime which had the line up of Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell and Inuyasha (which actually took me a little while to get into, but I did eventually). Futurama was also on that night. So much of my life changed that night. Some more of my reasons for choosing this piece:

1) I've always wanted to do a Full Metal environment but couldn't think of the right place. This room to me embodies the heart of the story and is the single-most irreplaceable location. With Al's Armor on the wall it also has a focal point to immediately tell the viewer what they are looking at.

2) After my last environment was a bit large, sci fi and modular, I wanted to do a smaller room that had more earthier elements. A single light source, wood, books, bottles ... these all have real life references.

3) It's awesome!

Full Metal Software: 3ds Max, Maya (maybe), Mudbox (Maybe), Photoshop, Substance Painter, Unreal 4

Full Metal critiques are welcome. I am working to become the best artist I can be. I'm not sure what sort of timetable this one will have. I do expect more cheesy Full Metal jokes. :thumbup:

First post:

1SWf4YN.jpg

Replies

• ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1p1kXHX.jpg

Update on the armor model. One of the key issues I want to work on here is my speed and efficiency. I will begin posting a little more frequently now in order to force myself to work faster. Feel free to add any crits or advice based on this endeavor. At the moment I'm trying to put the relative outline of everything in place buy pushing polys around in a sloppy manner. I definitely suffer that feeling of "What do I do now?" when I'm modeling in the beginning. Sometimes I just need to do something ... ANYTHING to keep moving forward.

As an aside, I think the chin makes him look like hes from Ducktales (I moved it back a bit earlier tonight, it was major Ducktales territory before then). :poly108:

I'm planning on modeling through both armors on the wall before tackling the rest of the room.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b9uKTUW.jpg

Much more fleshed out now. Still going. The back of the armor will not be seen as it is up against the wall.

I am very unhappy with myself for not moving faster. Speed is the single-most thing I want to learn here. A lot of it has to do with confidence and that feeling, "I don't know what to do next? How is it supposed to look there? I don't know?" and checking the refs over and over again. I'm debating now on whether or not to do this armor up to the painting stage first, or to move on to the next prop once the high poly is done. That is my usual method to do all high polys, then all low polys. I think one reason is in case I need to really alter props much in order to fit the scene together. I wouldn't want to have that issue staring at me after already having baked.

Any questions, feel free to ask. I want a good learning experience for all on my threads. :)
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Loved your Balamb Remake, will watch this one with the same anticipation. Love FMA too!
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros polycounter
    In the anime, the armour was very torso heavy, I'd move the head and back plate farther back (sideview), and make the waist and cuisses thinner.

The sabaton spike guards look a little too close to the center, move them both outwards a bit (front view).
  • fayesmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fayesmith polycounter lvl 7
    Great start so far! Can't wait to see it finished.
    I think Alphonse's proportions are a little off, here's some good reference for you to have a look at:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6184/986/1600/Alphonse%20Elric.jpg

http://media1.giphy.com/media/Xjd3MrhWu9haU/200_s.gif
    (This image is small, but it shows how thick he is from the side)

(:
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    i admire you for tackling the hardest part of this environment first! Looks good so far man keep it up
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VpEP0YE.jpg

Thanks.

Here I have a WIP on the hand. One major issue I have is going from the circular shape of the armor at the edge of the forearm, to the hand. A human hand is much more flat so looking at manga/anime refs is giving me a challenge here in translation over the two medias. I need to transition from a fatty circular wrist to a believable set of fingers.

Note that the symmetry is inconsistent since I have this in multiple pieces so far, so concentrate on the left side more than the right. This armor will be seen straight ahead front view and overhead (as you can seen in refs I have posted) and likely some sort of general 3/4ish angle view that will likely be the main render. I probably shouldn't have even posted a full side view. Another issue to note is with manga/anime source refs is the inconsistency of drawings per scene (That neck guard thing is in front, back and below the chin at random, the head goes higher and lower, etc.) I need to choose a direction and move forward with it.
  • fayesmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This armor will be seen straight ahead front view and overhead (as you can seen in refs I have posted) and likely some sort of general 3/4ish angle view that will likely be the main render. I probably shouldn't have even posted a full side view. Another issue to note is with manga/anime source refs is the inconsistency of drawings per scene (That neck guard thing is in front, back and below the chin at random, the head goes higher and lower, etc.) I need to choose a direction and move forward with it.

I get what you're saying about how fluid some anime drawings can be, but they're usually during action scenes with lots of movement, in my viewing experience.
    I think it'd be good to challenge yourself at getting Alphonse correct at all angles, even if you'll only see him from the front.
    It'd also be a great portfolio piece!
    But this is just my opinion, so obviously you don't have to do that haha. :)
  • Firefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firefly polycounter lvl 4
    Here's an old thread on zbrushcentral to help with his Al's look. Hope this helps.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/printthread.php?t=88308&pp=40
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Here's the high poly Alphonse Elric. :D!!

lG85GzM.jpg
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Lovin' this so far
  • VeryCrunchyTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VeryCrunchyTaco polycounter lvl 7
    Al is looking great! :D His hands look a little odd, but considering how much more stuff will be in the scene, I'm doubtful it'd be too much of a problem. I like the cloth, maybe you could add some of those wrinkles to the hands?

I'll be following this thread, good luck dude!

NZKT6z0.gif
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Yeah, if it was a character portfolio piece, the hands would be detailed. Since it won't be seen up close I'm just telling myself to move onto the other armor. On my last environment I learned about picking your battles and not spending hours on things the portfolio will never show. Plus its just an inanimate glove without Alphonse being inside of it at this point.

Feel free to bring on the FMA fandom. Love it.

Next step is the other armor next to this one. I will do the high poly of that, then likely their low ploys, and bake them. I'm feeling like I will want to get past these before tackling the rest of the room (get them over with). I will do all the texturing after everything has been modeled, baked and placed into Unreal.
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Looking great so far Scott! I recently finished Brotherhood, so this is a pretty freaking cool idea for a scene. The hard surface work on the Alphonse armor is making me happy, very well done. I would love to see a breakdown of how you went about constructing it.

Also if you haven't already seen, Allegorithmic posted up a pretty comprehensive video series of Painter/Designer to Unreal 4. Might be worth checking out if your workflow explodes.

Some crits. I might consider at least getting a rough blockout of the environment before delving too far into a single asset, just so you have proportions down and know that the sizing, composition and lighting all look the way you want it too.
  • fayesmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New screenshots looking nice :)

+1 to AdvisableRobin. Blockouts are always good!
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    SUBBED.

Keep it going man, love the work so far.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uh3alja.jpg

Thanks. After taking way too long to get Alphonse' armor done, this one took me one night (somewhere around 8.5 hours). The design is what takes me so long. If I get negative about what to do, I need to simply move something and see if it's right or not. If its wrong ... why? Where can I move it to make it right? So I end up with a really sketchy mesh with polys going through each other in places, which then need cleaned up. That part is usually satisfying because you can see it taking shape. :poly009:

The scene blockout will be based around the armors.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2bgWk6C.jpg

Armor bakes are done! The normal map previews on top are in Substance Painter. The cloth is a separate piece only because I accidentally forgot it when I made the UVs :poly122:. With the "other armor" I thought of fewer pieces and simplicity, so it has fewer low poly pieces going across multiple high poly parts, but the bake was a little warbly at first. I needed to address the edge loops going against the high poly piece shapes, which resulted in waviness. For Alphonse I kept the separate armor pieces separate in the low poly. This resulted in a much easier and quicker time tweaking the bake (admittedly I was quite surprised with how good the first bake was, as only the head had any major issues)

I'm very happy to finally be at this point. Now I will get to the block of the scene.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kGUGGlr.jpg

Scene blockout. :poly009:
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NH9vlxf.jpg

Update. Admittedly not much to say other than I decided to make every piece to completion one at a time. Usually I would make all the high polys first. Everything in checkers is done (Unless I decided to redo it later, which has already happened)

Edit: I do have a question ... How would you go about making a glass container with liquid in Unreal? I'm guessing maybe having to model the liquid as a solid full shape that fits completely inside the glass.

http://designcasa.com.au/images/detailed/0/seletti-vase2_lab.jpg
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AXuBSO1.jpg
    TdZslUT.jpg

Finally starting to look like an alchemy lab. My biggest concern is that I don't skimp on quality for feeling overwhelmed with the scope of the whole things (so many props to do) :polytwitch:
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    l3B2VXt.jpg
    kKvtA3c.jpg
    BUcdG1K.jpg
    S6BaGkq.jpg
    lELX4jJ.jpg
    NAUw8un.jpg

Finally in Unreal 4 :poly142:
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2yrRMF8.jpg

My first day of texturing and first day with Allegorithmic B2M. Any thoughts? I will need to go into Substance Painter and give a more careful paint-over of some of these assets. Overall I'm feeling good and that I might be able to meet my goal of getting this done before 2015 after all. We'll see.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0GpXcfL.jpg

Substance Painter work on the two armors and the first shield. Still getting used to the roughness levels moving from Substance Painter to Unreal (initially getting that high contrast white/black cloudy look and having to drop the low levels in Photoshop to even it out).
  • fayesmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inside UE4, have you unticked sRGB on your roughness map? It's ticked by default, and makes your roughness look wrong.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsp1gFs.jpg

Thanks. Good to be back on this after a week off. I'm having a difficult time getting the "posters" on the walls to look good. Any crits on them? They look like 3d planes to me and I'm stumped about how to fix them. They should look like they were drawn/written by hand by the Elrics. Thoughts in general? I'm still working on the textures like that metal burner and some of the wood.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    I feel the big thing about the posters is that they're very flat. I'd expect more ripples/wrinlkes along the surface. Take this image for example:

old_paper_00023_by_trug_bild-d5h805t.jpg

It doesn't have to be that extreme but I think this gets the point across :)
    Looking good so far!
  • visoutre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    visoutre polycounter lvl 6
    The grey models were looking fantastic, but the wall and floor textures are doing a disservice to the scene. They feel really noisy and the harsh lighting accentuates it in a bad way. Since this is based off an anime it's odd you didn't try a hand painted approach but if you intended to make it more realistic that's cool. Before you work on the props it's good to solidify the structural elements like walls and floors cause those textures make the biggest impression on the scene.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwMGH3d.jpg

Update. Yup.

That paper crit really helped btw.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JjkQBzu.jpg

I'm just now starting to get some confidence and feel like I'm getting somewhere. I'm starting to use B2M less and Painter more.
  • Josh_Curran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i just found where i belong, this is amazing!
  • ostwid1985
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    Awesome! My fave anime of all time.. definitely looking forward to seeing this completed!
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mxL7eyx.jpg

Getting there! Still need to re-address the walls and floor, the open door, and fix the direction of the barrel planks. Feel free to give crits on anything else. :)
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fcOJkOy.jpg

Getting closer. At this point assume I'm done with everything and feel free to let me know if I'm missing something. I hope the walls and floor look better now? I will add the transmutation circle and possibly the bucket of "human elements" on the ground. Any thoughts?
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzwEndO.jpg

Close to calling it done. Any final thoughts? I've been fiddling with the lighting. What is seen here is the light intensity, GI and AO sort of cranked. Then after building, I greatly reduced the intensity of the lights so you can actually see the wall light structure. Their is a little bit of LUT color adjustment... too much just blows out the lights with over-saturation. It's a balancing act of trying to get the lights to not be overblown, the room to be lit enough, and the dynamic hard lighting/shadows to shine.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Not familiar with UE4 so... shadows? Is that something that will be present only in the final renders, or...? Because I'm not really feeling/seeing them. Sorry if this is some dumb question you've already answered or has something to do with the engine.

Anyway, looking absolutely fantastic. Not entirely being sold on how the floor/walls/doors mesh together, with the doors/walls seeming fine with everything else more or less, but the floor being... kinda out of place. Are those stones/tiles or is the floor cracked? Interested in your interpretation-- but it feels a little high-frequency, and not quite as hand-placed as in the show. That, along with the chair in the corner not looking quite as used as I might expect, is the only nit-pick that's really grabbing me.

Looking forward to seeing the final beauty renders. :)
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mqUMbii.jpg
    J0gv4xd.jpg
    MJOgF9a.jpg

Finished! Thank you again Polycount :thumbup:

I'm happy with the results :). The ground was the most difficult thing to texture. In the end I used Substance Painter to simply blend 4 different concretes together. I'm also happy with how the lighting turned out in the end. At first it was too dark without much GI, and was told such. Then I brought up the GI to illuminate the scene and I was told the shadows disappeared. I feel I managed to reach a balanced level of illumination and mood.

I have a strong emotional attachment to Full Metal Alchemist and was proud to offer my own little tribute. I hope that you were able to learn from it as I did. Thanks again and all the breakdowns can be seen on my artstation page here:

http://www.artstation.com/artwork/full-metal-alchemist-lab
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Turned out great! :)
    EDIT: Uh, I can see through the back of the chair in the top down shot, though, which is kinda...
  • Blindsniper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is amazing
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    Awesome work!
    Floor is looking much better than the previous screenshots.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    When I first saw the title I thought it was going to look like it does in the anime, pleasantly surprised to see you do this in a more realistic approach ^^. The floor is looking amazing. But are you going to do the characters as well?