Home General Discussion

3D education around Halifax(Canada)

Hello guys,I'm about to move to Halifax in Canada and i wanted to know if there is a good university in Halifax or nearby to study Gamedesig/Computer science I'm willing to drive one or two hours to the university if needed.
It should be on the level of something like the SCAD in Savannah(i've heard that its really good).
So any recommandations would be welcome.
Take care-stay awesome- (also a late Merry X-mas)
Levi.

Replies

• passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    I'm also a Halifax resident, on the computer science side of things Dalhousie has a good CS degree, but I don't feel Halifax offers much as far as animation or 3d.

Though really what is important in 3d art is your portfolio not your education, and you can self teach all you need to do.

As far as work goes Halifax does offer good industry work, I have personally done some contract work for some halifax studios and interviewed for a new upstart with a high profile IP just last week.

What makes you want to move to Halifax?
  • fmnoor
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    The only art school I am aware of is / was NSCAD
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSCAD_University

I ended up leaving Halifax to study in California though this was 10 years ago.
  • AstroCubit
    I would recommend also that you contact Personnel at some of the companies that employ 3D artists and ask what they look for in a job applicant and which schools if any in your area that they recruit from. It's not the only answer of course, but it's not a bad thing to let them know you are moving in that direction and make a contact or two.

Good luck! And enjoy the ride.
  • sushi
    I took NSCC's game dev program in Truro, about an hour drive from Halifax. In the first year, there is a broad range of coursework from web dev to motion graphics. In the second year you can choose from three concentrations - 3D, game design, or motion graphics.

Some of my classmates disliked the varied courseload but I found it to be quite useful for developing a custom online portfolio, creating game trailers with After Effects and whatnot. The school also has an on-site residence building which is fun.

Whatever school you choose, it is essential to go above and beyond what is taught in class if you really want to develop your skill. I almost certainly wouldn't have a full-time job in 3D right now if I hadn't spent hours developing a portfolio in my off time.
  • Hitchhiker
    Hi,first of all @passerby I'm moving there because a) its really beautiful,and b) because I'm a bit closer to friends and family(brother is most likely moving to maine).
    About my portfolio,I'm already developing it sometimes i struggle with a few things but I'm on it!
    Thanks to everyone take care.
    Levi
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Ya when you get in give me a shout, we got a game developer get togeather once and a while, and there has been local game jams in the past