Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another thread about learning Substance Designer

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
Started working on learning Substance Designer a bit before Christmas, and just got back into it today with a new material. Decided it's time to create a thread to collect all these tests together. All of these are 100% procedural out of SD.

The first material I made. A simple tile floor with an alternating tile pattern:
9KNMpj9.jpg

Cracked and peeling paint:
OzCCH0i.jpg

Brick wall:
kVEHGSx.jpg

Replies

• Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sammy101 polycounter lvl 6
    Are there any tutorials you are following? I've seen a number of these SD threads pop up and they all involve tiles. Love the brick by the way. :)
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good! The outer edges of the chipped paint looks a bit off to me since there seems to be what appears to be baked AO around the edges of the chipped paint. Specifically, in the bottom right corner and left center area (of the image to the right).

I recently started learning Substance designer as well, I would love to know how you went about doing the peeled paint effect.

The brick looks great as well!
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sammy101 wrote: »
    Are there any tutorials you are following? I've seen a number of these SD threads pop up and they all involve tiles. Love the brick by the way. :)

Not really following any tutorial in particular. I used the intro tutorial on Allegorithmic's site to get the basics and just started messing around from there. I'm pretty comfortable already with node based workflows, so that helped.
    Leinad wrote: »
    Looking good! The outer edges of the chipped paint looks a bit off to me since there seems to be what appears to be baked AO around the edges of the chipped paint. Specifically, in the bottom right corner and left center area (of the image to the right).

I recently started learning Substance designer as well, I would love to know how you went about doing the peeled paint effect.

The brick looks great as well!

For the AO, I've just been using the AO node that creates occlusion from the heightmap. I'd agree that it goes a little too far on that one.

This was the image I was using for reference while working on the wall material:
    Uknhd3B.jpg

Essentially how I ended up doing it was first just using voronoi cells for the biggest shapes. Then I distorted that using a mosaic node and some blurred noise to get the outline of the paint and the wall. After that I just mixed in several levels of voronoi cracks. I also ended up using a shadow node in the heightmap, to get the way the peeling paint seems to peel up at the edges of the paint along the bottom. All the other maps (diffuse, gloss, spec, normal) derive from the heightmap.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New material. Old leather cushion:

DbulEri.jpg
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
  • MechanicalWhispers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any more updates? I love the cracked wall texture. I'd be very interested to see a graph or some tutorials on your process.