Home Marmoset

Red Crystal / Ruby Help

Rhythem02
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Rhythem02 polycounter lvl 5
Hello folks

I've been searching for a tutorial about Creating a ruby or red crystal in Marmoset 2. So far I haven't found any.

Can you guys help me. Thanks!

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, gem stones are rather complex materials to represent. Could you post some reference of what you're trying to achieve, and some images of how far you've gotten so far? Should be able to give you more advice if I have more of an idea of what you're trying to accomplish.
  • Rhythem02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhythem02 polycounter lvl 5
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Hi, gem stones are rather complex materials to represent. Could you post some reference of what you're trying to achieve, and some images of how far you've gotten so far? Should be able to give you more advice if I have more of an idea of what you're trying to accomplish.

Thanks for your reply.

here is a screen grab. I'm trying to create a crystal/ruby on his russian hat.
    It's bothering me, the way the gem looks right now.
    I'm done with almost everything except of the hat, hair and furr.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    The closest i've come to recreating gemstones so far is making sure that the polygon surface is faceted instead of smooth, and setting the material alpha to additive. it helps to make the mesh two sided (or disable backface culling).

However, currently Toolbag2 has no refractive pass/shader model, so this limits our replication of gemstones at the moment. It's something we hope to address in a future update.