Home General Discussion

Using games' concept art for my portfolio

I actually asked a similar question quite some time back! I would like to know if it's okay to use a game's concept art for my portfolio? I really like the game Planetside 2. I sure you guys have heard about that game! :)

The thing is I happen to like a concept art of Planetside 2 and want to use that as an inspiration (you can say I want to use it) for my demoreel/portfolio. To be a bit clear on this matter, well, I'll add a few things of my own to the final output; maybe I won't include everything of the concept. Well you can understand what I mean.

So, the same questions again: Can I use it? Should I take permission from SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) first? Will I by any means infringe any copyright system (s) in place if I use it/change the concept to my liking? I mean can I include things of my own to the final output and/or can I utilize only the things I like from the concept and make something new? :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I think you can without having to contact them for permission. It would fall under fan art category, and there's nothing wrong with that. Most arts stuff fall under copyright Attribution
    You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

When I run the Monthly Character Challenge, I contact the concept artists not exactly for permission, but as a courtesy. It also could give me extra exposure and connection if they like what I do with their concept.

I also like to think I do a free marketing for them as well when I do game companies fan arts.

But that's just me.
  • sbiswas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern I'm being super noob here but just let me ask you a question! Although it would fall under fan art category, it would still be referred to as my demoreel, right? I mean, I can tell people that it's my demoreel, right? :)

This question is for everyone too!! :)
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with Pyr. As long as you clearly state that it's fan-art (as opposed to official and don't use company logos or anything) there shouldn't really be any problems with either including it in your portfolio or demo-reel. Of course I'm not a lawyer so take that as you will.
    I also usually try to contact the artist in question to get permission to use the concept art (mostly as a courtesy as well) if it's not something based on concept art from a big game/movie.
  • sbiswas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

So, I can make changes to the original concept piece. That's good news. You say I must indicate if changes were made. How do I do that? On the video itself?
    PyrZern wrote: »
    You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

"You may do so in any reasonable manner": referring to which context are you saying this? Changes to the original content?

Then, the last line "but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use"

I dont quite understand this!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or on the description along the vid. Though I'd say have some small text in the vid around the corner or something might be better. Videos get shared and pinned and emailed around all the time.

It means you can give credit in any manner, just don't make it sounds like it's your original idea.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Just to be clear what exactly are you doing?

Usually when artists use a concept piece, its to either create it in 3d or as inspiration for a whole new 2d piece.

It sounds like you want to just draw on top of an existing concept... That is mega dodgy and I'm sure many artists will frown upon that when used in your portfolio.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to be clear what exactly are you doing?

Usually when artists use a concept piece, its to either create it in 3d or as inspiration for a whole new 2d piece.

It sounds like you want to just draw on top of an existing concept... That is mega dodgy and I'm sure many artists will frown upon that when used in your portfolio.

I second this. For concept art, you need to display 100% of your own concept skills.

Making a 3D environment from a concept is different, since you'd still be making all the 3d assets/textures from scratch.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... Somehow I thought you wanted to make characters off of Planetside 2 concept. But is it environment piece ?

Also, yeah, like Mask and RexM said; don't use someone else's concept to showcase your concept. Use someone else's concept to show off your modeling skills.