Home General Discussion

Art Styles Per Genre Discussion

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
HostileGForce polycounter lvl 2
Hey there fellow Polycount peeps!

I have been thinking lately about the correlation of Games Art Styles and Game Genres. What makes certain genres better with certain styles and where do they clash?
For example, stylized and hand-painted games tend to include MOBAs such as League and Dota 2. However RPGs such as World of Warcraft also have similar art styles, but some try to be as realistic as possible. Ultimately, I have been wondering what styles are out there and how they affect certain genres.

My questions for you all:
  • What styles do you relate to what genres and why?
  • Second, the inverse. What styles do you NOT relate to what genres and why?
  • Bonus point question: What is your favorite game (relatively modern) and what can you say about the art style?

Feel free to answer any question as thoroughly or not as you'd like.

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I imagine it has to do with a lot of factors:
    -what type of hardware does it run on
    -what kind of audience is buying into the genre
    -how has the genre been treated historically

It would be rare to see a platformer using the same artstyle as COD, because platformers have historically been marketed as for kids with vibrant colors for example.

Just like how you wont see a lot of FPS games looking like a Disney cartoon. The market for it generally leans towards games going for a serious, gritty look, that's being played by adults.

Some other genres offer flexibility. Fighting games can be as realistic or cartoony as they want. There is also a middle ground like Street Fighter, that offers stylized but proportionally humans.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I really don't think there's a tie between art style and genre. Art style is entirely up to the direction that the leads want to take it in. There's a variety of art styles in just about every genre, including shooters.

I personally love well done stylized art. I hate when people term stylized, colorful art, as just being "for kids" or as being "not serious" as that is very much not the case.

I think one of the reasons MMOs and MOBAs tend to go towards the stylized route has to do with longevity (outdated graphics). Stylized art is much more forgiving with the test of time.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    I'd love to work on something like a grotesque hand painted horror game.
    Or FPS with some trippy psychedelic art style.

To be honest there aren't really many styles that have been given their own names so it's hard to discuss this stuff.
    Most people just make distinction between realistic and stylized but this throws whole bunch of different styles into same bag.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Tough Guy Games
    Hyper real
    Photo real
    someone gory painted things
    The aesthetics of these games don't last more than a console's run

Woodland Games
    Photo real with a tinge of brown and grey
    Low poly paper that was painted with hand

Platformers
    Radiant plastics
    Low poly paper painted with hands
    Cell shade

RPGs
    Sprite graphics
    Sometimes low poly paper if it's hand held
    Cell shade
    Sometimes 2D animation

Fighting Games
    Old school sprites that look like paintings
    Sprites that look like sprites
    Stylized somewhat painting like cell shade
    Hyper real if we are talking about the tough guy fighting games

Racing Games
    Photo Real for the ones with actual cars
    Radiant Plastic for Mario Kart
    Cell shade
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Games that you are expected to years playing all day every day (mmos etc) will tend to have art styles that wont age and are easy to look at - hand painted, that's my thoughts on that.
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Chimp wrote: »
    Games that you are expected to years playing all day every day (mmos etc) will tend to have art styles that wont age and are easy to look at - hand painted, that's my thoughts on that.

Thats a very good point