Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Mass Effect - Normandy SR1

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Masakari polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,

I'm a 3d artist starting a Normandy SR1 remake (interiors) for my portfolio, using Unreal Engine 4 and targeting "next gen" specs aka PC/PS4/X1. Basically make it as top quality as possible, the "ultimate" Normandy.

I'm undecided on the visual direction of the project, and this is where I'm asking for your opinions. ME1 had a much more pronounced "retro sci fi" asthetic heavily inspired by Syd Mead.

Both sequels mixed that up with more modern design sensibilities, and while some fans seem to think they did that to appeal to a wider demographic, I'm not so sure - I think that as their knowledge of Xbox 360 and UE3 grew, and new improved tools became available, the level of detail they could do increased and as such the visual direction of the games evolved accordingly.

I like both styles, and judging from the new Mako and hero armors from "ME4", they will continue to go in the same direction as ME3's art style.

So, remaking the ME1 Normandy like it was done today, I'm undecided if I should be faithful to it's more retro inspirations, or be looser and modernize it akin to ME3-4.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond, I hope to get some feedback to help me decide, and start posting progress.

Replies

• Masakari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE 01:

Kead5kM.jpg

Blockout and early low poly parts for Upper section of the ship (which is what I'm focusing on now).
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros polycounter
    Looking good! I think you should do what you want to do, in terms of retro look or a more modern look. The best results come from work that you enjoy doing. But, if you're specifically doing 'the' Normandy SR1, I think it would be best to keep it close to the original.

But the SR1, 2, and (SR2 under the Alliance) basically all look the same to me, anyway. Only the interior and size changed a bit :poly142:
  • Masakari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I'm only doing the interior anyway, that's why it's important to make the distinction between ship model.

Many of the interior changes from SR1 to SR2a (the ME3 version) make sense from a design / asthetic standpoint. However, I'm trying to stay faithful to the SR1 model to make it identifiable as the SR1, otherwise it becomes "indistinguishable Normandy". I don't know if that makes sense.
  • Masakari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm still alive, unfortunately real life has left me with little free time lately.

Detailed the Cockpit and Airlock sections more.

YpFgGiN.jpg