Home Technical Talk

3ds Max and Normal/Bump Maps

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
DarkEdge polycounter lvl 10
I'm using 3ds Max 2014 and Mental Ray Arch Design shaders. When applying a normal map I'm using the Standard Normal Bump shader (using Normal Map slot) and plugging my map into that, then the Normal Bump shader gets plugged into the Arch Design Bump channel.

I created a bump map by using a mid grey (127) background and drawing very dark lines onto that and then converting to a normal map with nDo.

In the viewport everything looks great but when I render it the image gets really bad faceting. When I unplug the Normal Map the render looks great.

So how/where am I going wrong in my normal map creation and shader useage??
Thanks!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you show a pic of the two, viewport vs. render, and what your normal map looks like?
  • DarkEdge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure. The first is my viewport, you can see the normal mapping evident on the rudder, engine cowling rivets and body panels...also no faceting on the skin. The second pic is my render and you can see really bad faceting on the wings, engine cowling and body.
    Someone suggested that this might be due to the normal maps and sure enough if I remove the normal maps the render comes out perfectly.

So I am trying to understand how I can use normal maps inside of max without this faceting.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not seeing the faceting, can you show a closeup of the error?

Remember, you can use Imgur.com or another free image host, to get bigger less-compressed images.

I'll take a look at this kind of setup in Max later today, but I'm pretty sure I've used normal maps in Arch & Design before.

To be clear, you're using the mental ray renderer, right?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just checked, works fine for me. What image format are you using for your normal map? You should never use JPG for normal maps (unless you're rendering with a web 3d player, maybe). Better to use TGA or TIF.

Can you post a closeup crop of a part of the normal map that's causing the error? Also a closeup render of the model would help.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So in the file you sent me, the normal map is a JPG. That's bad. Don't use a lossy file format like JPG for normal maps, instead use PSD or TGA or TIF.

Around the rivets in your normal map, the JPG format has added a bunch of noise. This is the fault of JPG compression.

Another problem is the rivets are not strong enough in your normal map. Your original depth on the left, and on the right is what it should look more like:
    Q7bYUeV.png

I don't have 2014 installed here though, so I couldn't check your setup in Max. But if you fix those two issues, you should be better off.
  • DarkEdge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right on, thanks Eric for your help!
  • Rozzy85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rozzy85 polycounter lvl 2
    Sorry to hijack your thread but it seems your issue is resolved and I'm too using 3dsmax with a normal map problem. Can't make a threads yet it seems and I'm impatient. :p Pulling my hair out with this.

OK, here it goes.

I'm using 3dsmax 2013 to render out a Normal map but for some reason I keep getting these annoying pixel artifacts appearing. They look like ray misses but there always 1x1 pixel in size whether rendering at 512x512 or 8192x8192 and change position when the output resolution is changed. Turning of ray miss check just changes them to dark coloured spots. This ONLY happens with the Scanline renderer. I would use mental ray but it keeps offsetting the image output so it doesn't align with the UV properly.

r02lj8.png

The top image shows the red dots with no supersampling.

The middle shows in with Hammersley but you can see the red dots just get scattered with the sampling filter and look like faint freckles. They're difficult to see but there.

The bottom is xNormal using the same cage with no visible artifacts.

I'm checked everything that I can think of that may cause this such as dithering, anti-aliasing filters and overlapping meshes. I know I could just ignore it but it's so annoying that it happens and is completely random.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I've noticed the same sort of thing happening with Blender's scanline renderer as well when you bake with it. In my mind the best solution is to just always use Xnormal for everything.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obvious question but have you applied Reset Xform on the lowpoly model?
  • Rozzy85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. Did it to the high poly too just for arguments sake.

Also tried altering UVs on the high poly as I know that can sometimes causes pixel artifacts but so far nothing has worked.

EDIT: Merged the meshes into a completely new scene all with default settings just to make sure it wasn't anything I've done and it still does it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I only have 2012 installed, but if you Save As down to 2012 I can have a look. Can you delete all the mesh but the problem area?
  • Rozzy85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That might be too problematic to do. The filesize alone is 300MB+. Thanks for the offer though.

I have found a work around by rendering out multiple maps so the bad pixels change and then using Photoshop remove the red pixels and fill the holes with the maps that don't have a red pixel in that position. Not practical if I need to render again but it works. I can only hope this is an isolated problem with this model.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try disabling the Filter maps option