Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WoW- inspired buildings

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
le0tard polycounter lvl 9
Hello! I'm trying to learn how to 3d, and I would appreciate any critique and/or feedback. Will continue to update thread, but might eventually add stuff besides buildings.
1zgufsj.jpg3626 tris, 512x512 texture (the window frames take up pretty mcuh of the total polycount).

Replies

• le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A dwarven house, 2803 tris, 512x512 texture.
    2i6mfwn.jpg
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    I like it :D

How did you manage to texture the entire thing with only a 512 sheet?

Could you post some pics of the UV map, and textures, I would be interested in seeing how its done.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Young, if it helps off the top of my head, basically tiling textures can get a LOT done with little space.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have seen sheets before where they have basically 4 corners with different textures, and then just layering the UV's on top of the right areas. I assume something similar would be done for this, and also reusing things like windows and wood beams.
  • le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope I didn't miscommunicate about the texture, but i worked on it in different sizes, copied stuff from older textures and then shrank it down to 512x512. Thusly;
    2ia8th2.jpg
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So that entire sheet is only 512?

The textures look fairly crisp for only a 512x512 sheet
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I think sometimes we work on a twice as big texture size. Then Sharpen, and resize smaller.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Young, environment artists make use of tiling textures on portions of a texture sheet to get a lot of mileage out of a small block of pixels.
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    Those wooden beams in the textures just look like duplicates, either use one and save texture space or use them all but make variations. Same goes for the roof textures as well, the roof section is tiling multiple times in the texture when that could be done using UV's instead. The brickwork on the chimney also suffers the same fate with some repeatedly used bricks.

You were smart with the steps on the second building though, using only one step texture and mirroring each step in the model. Why didn't you use this method on the first model's steps?

Also the window on the far right of the first building is smaller than the others, it's inconsistent I think.. The brickwork going around the window is smaller than the others, you have to assume that each window was crafted in the same way as the others by whoever built the house.
  • miyagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like this
  • le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx guys! This time I included the texture, and I hope you notice I've taken your advice to heart. Again, this texture is 512x512, and the tower has 2854 tris (the original concept for this tower was not made by me).
    2vlsmlc.jpg
  • le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated verison of the first house, with a new UV-map.

2lm6t6h.jpg
  • onewinged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onewinged polycounter lvl 8
    The only thing I think is missing is subtle color variation in the textures just to add that little bit of extra to. Its seems like the textures now is just diffrent values of the same color. Some examples from a guy named Hannes Delbekes work. http://hannesdelbeke.blogspot.se/2012/10/handpainted-textures.html
  • le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another human-ish house, i followed a concept i found somewhere on this site, and I would give cred to the creator if I could remember where the hell I found it. 35cr1xf.jpg
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The roof is the best part, because it has the most lighting information and depth. the rest of the house is too flat in my opinion. I'd fix the weird intersection issues you have going on and the gaps between the roof tiles should match the tiles.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Agree with most comments here, but you are doing a good job of getting that WoW style down, keep it up!
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good man, nailed the style. "Phat" roofs
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nicely done with the uv optimisation!
  • le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm keepin'em coming. wcdf1k.jpg
  • Chimi Jimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    rather then keep churning out building after building maybe spend some time and actually work on the textures this stuff is all about your painting ability so i would spend alot more time on your textures i mean you havent even placed the tiles on the roof correctly theres quite a clear half a tile hanging over the edge of the roof and the chimney bricks lack any real detail and are massive and the chimney top block theres 0 signs of it ever being used these are just my opinions on what you really really need to work on

Id check out the artist Fanny Vergne who is an amazing artist to see the level of detail that you should be aiming for or just run around the game and look at the new stuff in the garrison failing that googles
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you don't want to do a light bake, a little vertex colouring on these guys would make a world of difference.
  • le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the feedback, and Fanny Vergne was a gold reference!
    And since I'm so new to this, I've never actually herd the term vertex colouring before. I googled it, and it seems i will have to keep googling it for a while, before I can apply it to my meshes.

Meanwhile, I made some extensions to my earlier house; Having quite a hard time with vegetation. bhymns.jpg
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Are you rendering in 3d studio max? You might want to try either marmoset toolbag 2 or an actual game engine like Unreal Engine 4 if you plan on having all your props come together in an environment.

Foilage (at least for me) really just comes down to finding the right shapes of planes that can mimic the sort of pattern the way the particular piece of plant grows, getting a good masked structure in the texture, and then possibly editing the vertex normals so the shading looks good.

I'd say your cabbage is looking pretty good, but the tomatoes can use a bit more love and might actually be a bit too dark compared to the values of everything else so far. It's kind of why I recommend doing it in a game engine, because foliage shading itself can be frustrating at times and requires tweaking the material quite a bit depending on the engine to get it to look "right," due to the nature of it not really blocking off light completely (can see light shine through both sides of the plant), but still being able to cast definitive shadows on itself and the ground.

You might also benefit of having the tomatoes wrap around some sort of a stick or frame if they're being "farmed," which is a common practice for keeping tomato vines from growing out of control. I find that it helps to gather as many images as I can and even read about how something might grow or be built in real-life if I'm having trouble making something.

Are you also going to go for a completely diffuse-only look, or do you want to have some shadows and specularity in there as well? One or the other isn't bad, I'm just curious as it can alter how your critiqued. IE, sometimes diffuse-only looks amazing because it literally can look like a flat drawing at times, other times you'd might want shadows shadows to help dramatize or ground a piece, and specularity or Fresnel to help define materials a bit more over than the color, shapes, and values.

That said, I love the buildings so far! I'd just pay a bit more close attention to the way the UVs are placed, namely trying to avoid having any part be cut off at a strange place on the trims, and making sure nothing seems too crazily stretched or scaled in proportion to one another. (The castle tower top is just a bit too stretched horizontally imo) And it looks like you have the tiniest geometry error in that it looks like the tip of one of the modeled out blue tiles on the roof is poking through the wood frame. (second tile from the bottom right of the main blue house)
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    I am really liking what you are doing here man.
  • eternal3lade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm loving the work so far, one small thing that you could do to spice it up a bit is perhaps add a few rocks or pebbles in the dirt texture for the garden. Keep it up!
  • le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used some houses from the town of Gilneas from WoW as a reference for this one. I tried to be more creative with colour mixing here. The reference for the architecture of the house was found on google by searching "gilnean house" or something like that. As for now, I like to only use the one and same diffuse texture on the whole mesh, but I of course plan to advance here aswell. 2eqau8i.jpg
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    The one with the "blue phat" roof is the nicest.
    Like the little garden that you made :)
  • Chimi Jimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    your tiles are bigger then the bricks and each roof has different sized tiles is this intended?
  • le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if you get like a notification or something when I reply to your post, maby if I try @Chimi Jimi or something? Anyway, if you see this;
    The rooftiles are ment to be (roughly) the same sizes, I could not figure out how to do it more evenly sized and still keep it as only one tilable part of the texture map.
    And Gazu, thank you, I'll try to stay true to that style then :)
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if it was said already but with the little garden scene, the grass blades around the building look strange because they don't blend well with the grass texture on the floor. It's a good start but if you want to ground the building, make those grass blades blend with the ground but using similar colours and gradients.
  • le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some extensions and added a bit to the roof. 28016pt.jpg