Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Gingerbread House

School is out for winter break and I wanted to take this time to add another project to my portfolio. This is still in the beginning stages and I will be posting updates as things progress!

eXXMKlg.png

xNnjl7C.png

Replies

• tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    very nice, wireframe would be cool to see.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    This looks like a really tasty project! I would also like to see the wireframe of that frosting on the roof, it looks great.
  • Squidemic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the wireframe for the roof!

mVd9ahD.png

However, the roof was one of the things I got a lot of comments on. Not a lot of people liked the way the icing looked. From the feedback I was thinking about going a different route and decided to model one piece of icing instead and use alphas for the dripping part. Here is the start!

uZeT8p1.png
  • Legion_studios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion_studios polycounter lvl 2
    if only there was a 3d printer for food :D
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    I like it! very nice style.
    Note: The floor tiling is rather obvious, everything else looks nice
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    yea, the original floor tile looks better, the new one you made has more tiling and looks to repeated.
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice! It makes me hungry haha!

Some great material definition, but I'd definitely alter that ground texture. Maybe you'd be better off with a much more basic texture? That way you wouldn't see the tiling, and the focus is on your house anyway.

Awesome work though, very unique!
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice, pleasant look. About the icing on the roof ... the second one you showed has a cleaner and more defined look to it, however you are losing size and shape contrast now. With the larger style icing in the original image, the icing had a unique shape that you eye rested on nicely, whereas those little white sphere-like shapes are fairly similar in size to other things in the scene, so you are losing something compositional. My recommendation is to make something in one continuous shape like the first post, but with the more refined look of the second.

Agree with the floor tile issue as well.
  • Squidemic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More screenshots. The icing is now just alphas. Not sure if the dripping icing looks better than the ones that look like the icicles. Or maybe it looks better without them and I should try putting something else on there instead. Like a licorice lining.

I'm fumbling around in the dark when it comes to the UE4 foliage tool. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

UkS7Sx7.png

AlehQhl.png

k7vwD9V.png
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I can't say you'll end up with a very interesting piece continuing this with out proper ref and a strong composition/lighting direction.

Not to say you have to go this direction, but here is what I'm talking about.

source
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWbRycUr321G4jTnTltCA5xXEt7DUPgz6jOrZAdUo9uCRCsLRX

or if you wanted to keep it lighter have a look at these:

12SZKSCLGH.jpg

candy-land.jpg

4035182861_189e2b65b4.jpg

Ralph-in-Sugar-Rush.jpg

I like some of your execution, but currently it looks like an image you'd see on the front of a do it yourself gingerbread kit. (very generic). Basically you just need to push this in a direction, to not only challenge yourself, (meaning a candy house in a realistic setting, or a full on candy land.) I think you'll have a stronger piece in the end going down all the way a certain path.

Good luck.
  • AngryMindtricks
    I agree with Pixelpatron, your execution of artwork is good but it feels like you've really restricted yourself by sticking a bit too close to reality... a gingerbread house itself is easily classified as surreal... why not run with it? I've always found these projects really hard to start... but once you start and have as much work as you have right now to work with you can start to really bend the rules of your art work visual aesthetics. Widen your colour palette and try break out of the generic yellow keylight / soft blue fill light style lighting and really go into it like the reference pixelpatron gave you from Wreck-it Ralph.
    Baring in mind some of your tweaking can be done in post-effects but if you get the lighting bang on early on it loosens up the workload quite a bit & makes your scene a lot less annoying to have to keep re-tweaking.

On a side note, I'm not really feeling the trees either... they're just too realistic for the theme of your ginger bread house, maybe have a look into some trees leaning more towards the fantasy side :)

I'm jealous, this part is usually where it gets pretty fun haha.
    Might have to try something fantasy like this myself sometime :P

Good luck!