Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Marrow: My first serious Mudbox sculpt

Ar7ific1al
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Ar7ific1al polycounter lvl 3
My first ever (serious) Mudbox sculpt. It has a bit of artifacting at the blade's edge, which is partially the normal map but also something wrong with that part of the mesh as I sculpted. I'm still pretty new to Mudbox in general and am still learning. I've only used it three or four times total, and only tried to do a serious sculpt once before which ended in failure because I rushed it.

Well, without further ado, here's Marrow. It's a two-handed sword with a bone hilt and backbone, and teeth (shark?) on the backbone. I don't expect it to win any awards or anything, but for a first I don't think it's bad.
marrow720p.png

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What textures did you make for this?
  • Ar7ific1al
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What textures did you make for this?

I don't understand what you're asking. If you're asking if I made the textures, yes I did - I painted it in Mudbox. :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Most game assets come with a set of textures. At a most basic level they break down as follows:

In the last generation's rendering pipeline:

Diffuse
    Specular
    Gloss
    Normal

In the current, Physically-Based Rendering pipeline:

Albedo
    Specular and Gloss -or Metalness and Gloss
    Normal

There are others, but let's keep it simple for now. For a 3D model to properly be in a game engine, they usually need these maps. Otherwise, they're just pretty things to look at.

So, with that in mind, did you make any of the textures above?
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Can we see a wireframe for the Low Poly?
    For an absolute first attempt this isn't too bad, you're right. You can be proud of this for picking up mudbox and actually making something instead of giving up. But if you want to improve, there's a bit you can work on in future sculpts. Accurate material definition is super important, you've gone a little mudbox-happy on all these surfaces. Why would there be grooves on the blade? Surely that's sort of inefficient. And there's bumps, too, usually a blade would be "sharp" and "smooth", but it comes across as a soft organic material because it's a bit wobbly.
    This goes for your textures, too, they're a bit soft and airbrush-y, and I can't tell if this is just diffuse+normal, or...?

Keep it up, though, and keep striving to get better.
  • Ar7ific1al
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero wrote: »
    Can we see a wireframe for the Low Poly?
    For an absolute first attempt this isn't too bad, you're right. You can be proud of this for picking up mudbox and actually making something instead of giving up. But if you want to improve, there's a bit you can work on in future sculpts. Accurate material definition is super important, you've gone a little mudbox-happy on all these surfaces. Why would there be grooves on the blade? Surely that's sort of inefficient. And there's bumps, too, usually a blade would be "sharp" and "smooth", but it comes across as a soft organic material because it's a bit wobbly.
    This goes for your textures, too, they're a bit soft and airbrush-y, and I can't tell if this is just diffuse+normal, or...?

Keep it up, though, and keep striving to get better.

I'm still learning what to do and what not to do with Mudbox, and I'm still learning a lot about Maya. I only just started using Maya this March because of the 3D character design class I took as part of my degree. Also still learning about topology. I'm not as much of an artist as I'd like to be, which is why I'm doing it. lol I started my degree with the idea that I wanted to do programming, but the more and more I do that, the less I want to do it. The more and more I do art and design, the more I want to do it. So that's where I am right now.

To answer your questions... Yeah, I think I did go a bit "mudbox-happy" on it. lol :) Good way to describe it. Still working out a lot of stuff with Mudbox. I tried to go for a worn and damaged look for the blade, hence the grooves. I could have done much better, admittedly.

Here's an imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/49pKH#0
    From left to right:
    Diffuse + spec + normal
    Diffuse + spec
    Normal
    Spec + normal
    Spec
    None

EDIT
    Please ignore the three different normal map layers, only the top-most one shows (logically). The others are from trying out the different map extraction options. :P
    END EDIT :P

Wireframe display enabled, and viewing the level 0 mesh at 2,764 polys.
    I do have a lot to learn, that's for sure.

The imgur album and information about which image has which maps enabled should also answer @JadeEyePanda's question(s). I'm still learning about some of the map types, how to use them, etc. But I can tell you I sculpted and painted this for use in Skyrim as my first custom weapon. So I'm still learning about Skyrim's shaders, as well, and what types of maps it accepts and how to display them. I can safely say, however, that my specular is a bit too high for Skyrim's engine. :P

Thank you both for posting. :) Part of developing artistic skill is getting your work out there and accepting criticism, something I've struggled with for many years. It can be difficult at times.