Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

College project: VG Remix.

For part of a college project that I was given I have to create a series of concepts based from any video game, film or TV program that I choose. I then have to come up with a final concept, of which I will then create a 3D diorama for the VG Remix contest.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Okay. Do you have anything to show in regards to that assignment?
  • chloemegan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started this off by brainstorming a few ideas from video games, films and TV programs that I like that I would like to create my diorama for. This ranged from Dragon Age: Origins, to Lord of the Rings, to American Horror Story. Due to the fact that this is my first year on my foundation degree in Game Art and I only know so much within my 2 months of studying so far, I decided that the ideas I was dreaming up where too advanced for me at this current time and to achieve the look I would like, would have to do in my spare time some time in the future. I went back to the drawing board, thinking of more simpler games to create instead as this is meant to be a low poly diorama. These turned out to be LittleBigPlanet, Thomas Was Alone and Crash Bandicoot. See below images for concepts.
  • chloemegan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LitteBigPlanet concepts.
    I started off with a close up front view concept. However, I didn't think about where this view would be included within. I then drew up a concept of a cardboard box holding the scene inside that would act like the pod. I thought using a cardboard box would carry off an theme of a little child's project which I liked. I then thought about where this cardboard box would be. If it is a child's project, then they would probably be using a table to craft on.
  • chloemegan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LittleBigPlanet concept 2.
    I thought of another idea that would be pretty cool to model.

Thomas Was Alone concept.
    I recently wrote an essay about Thomas Was Alone and thought one of the scenes would be great to model. I know that Thomas Was Alone is incredibly basic in visual terms, and coming from the LittleBigPlanet concepts, I had an idea of creating Thomas Was Alone in a LittleBigPlanet style.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be easier to see the images in the thread if you use IMGUR.
  • chloemegan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash Bandicoot concepts.
    One of these concepts was incredibly rough, I believe it is quite obvious which one, I just wanted to show that the surrounding would be a heavy circle of tropical greenery and not show a great amount of detail. For the others I decided that drawing a green circle around would be a bit neater..
  • chloemegan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to post it this way to keep the thread looking neater :)
  • chloemegan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided I liked the theme of Crash Bandicoot best however did not like the original concepts. I got the inspiration for my next concepts from the warp room/castle seen in Crash Bandicoot: Warped.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • chloemegan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final scene!

[SKETCHFAB]7b04e3b0eff84ed78bf96ac75af52358[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks okay, but there's more to accomplish.

I'm reading the castle towers as sand castles given their noisy texture, but I have a feeling you were aiming to make them stone. Which in many cases, structures like those use brick to make up their surfaces. I think you should have spent time actually making the brick texture to wrap around said tower.

The chief problem, that might be systemic in the future, is just the noise slap on with the rock. While useful, we can't just slap noise around our textures unless here's a solid foundation for that noise to affect. Once again, in regards to the stone, because there's a lack of strong brick looking textures underneath, it just looks like a Photoshop cloud filter was slapped across the diffuse and called a day. This isn't efficiency, this might be perceived as lazy. That being said, there's totally an opportunity to go back in and make it really look like stone, and THEN use the noise to provide, well, noise to the brick.

The buttons are stylistically there. No critiques about that really.

Crash could use a tad more lighting baked into his diffuse. Case in point, direct from the source:

Crash_Bandicoot1.png

There's a little lighter orange on the back to really shape out his form a lot more. A lot of handpainted textures do this, they bake in (usually) top-down lighting to really pop out volumes where geometry for it doesn't exist. It's quite effective! Crash could use that love, not just on his body, but the pants, shoes, etc. I recommend references from games like Torchlight 2, etc to really see how well it can be done.

== Real question though, why post here? ==

If this was just for a HW assignment given the way the thread has been going, but are you planning to refine this in the future?

I don't know why you're posting here if you're not explicitly asking for a response of any kind. And hopefully your professor isn't forcing you to HAVE to post here, because that's messed up.

I've seen a lot of uni students post here for various reasons, and a lot of them never quite seem to get the value out of making an account with Polycount (I just rhymed a rap right there, teehee), and just talk past people in a one-way platform. My hope would be that they, as well as you hopefully, see this is as a dscussion, a close approximation of what would happen if we, as game artists, were working back to back.

It does make me upset when this happens, but in the end I just get sad because somehow it's just wasted opportunity to really tap into an aspect of what makes Polcount one of the most valuable professional / hobby art communities in the internet.