Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kanye West (WIP - Critiques Wanted!)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ChaosWWW polycounter lvl 6
LATEST:

wmEWep7.jpg

Hey, I'm doing a game ready bust of Kanye West for a class. I wanted to capture the likeness of a celebrity and push this piece to a high quality result. Thus, I'm hoping you will provide critiques so I can really push myself with this one.

Here's my first pass at the main forms. I welcome critiques of anything you want to comment on, but I'd really appreciate any comments regarding capturing the likeness more closely.

Here's some refs I'm using:

It5cZKk.jpg?1

1fyS5yO.gif?1

And here's my sculpt so far:

M4itXDy.png?1

Thanks!

Replies

• JabacOrdof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JabacOrdof polycounter lvl 3
    Looking real good! The only thing I can see really is maybe the profile of the top lip is a little lower than the picture's. But that's really a minor fix, its coming along nicely!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Nope does not look good.

Proportions of your bigger forms are way off. Drop your subdivisions NOW, we need to deal with your big forms before you even think about upres-ing again.
  • ChaosWWW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I heavily adjusted the model at a lower subdivision level, let me know if it's better or not.

QbYJKNH.png
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Let's go lower. It's still too high.
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couple key areas to look at (if you aren't already):
    -lower jaw should jut forward to be even with upper jaw, most likely due to the surgery after his car accident.. his profile view shows the lips should hit an even vertical plane
    -front view, his temple is a more tapered straight line from wide jaw to more narrow forehead, whereas you started doing it but it should be a little more accentuated
    -profile, pull the bridge of the nose in just a little, and a little lower than you have it
    -his lips are not quite the right shape
    -overall shape is good, keep working on the main forms in a lower subd
  • j.god
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j.god polycounter lvl 4
    Yo Chaos, Im liking it so far. And Imma let you finish, but I just wanna say that JadeEyePanda said it first. Lower sub.

Lol sorry had to.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    -joke about fish phalluses-
  • ChaosWWW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, first of all I would like to apologize. I really planned on posting more progress shots here and getting more feedback as I continued moving forward, but school has kept me really busy. That being said, the critiques I have gotten early on have been really helpful, so thanks for that!

This is an image of what I submitted for this assignment. I'm probably going to continue to work on this, so if you have any comments or critiques, feel free to voice them. Thanks!

wmEWep7.jpg
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    Textures and lighting look good. Something still seems off with the model though. At first glance I'd say the nose is a little too wide, the mouth is too symmetrical, and eyes are a tad large. Your last post without the textures looked like you were closer to his likeness.
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His forehead is much more stretched than it should be and his body seems kinda skinny for what he usually looks like.. Good work so far, but tweaks are necessary :)