Home General Discussion

Ghost in the Shell Online

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
Dawgs..........

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYucNjpnXHg"]Ghost in the Shell Online Debut Trailer Nexon X Neople - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Nice. I'd rather see them do something with a single player component, but that's looking pretty solid.

Wonder whether we'll ever see a Western release
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I couldn't even watch it to the end. For one of the best, most interesting IP's ever, they've created what looks like a very mindless shooting-fest that offers precisely nothing of what makes GITS so great.
    Why are games so devoid of any inspiration these days, and just about 'shooting bad guys' non stop?
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But...tochikomas. D:
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I agree that a single player focus would make more sense. Also, I agree that they managed to make a very interesting IP look totally generic and shoot-things-with-machine-guns-centric.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Just looks like some (well-made) fan-mod built over any other random FPS game really...
    Doesn't look bad, but it has none of the things that makes Ghost in the Shell (movies and Stand Alone Complex) great.
    Deus Ex (Original and H.R.) did Ghost in the Shell better than this.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I couldn't even watch it to the end. For one of the best, most interesting IP's ever, they've created what looks like a very mindless shooting-fest that offers precisely nothing of what makes GITS so great.
    Why are games so devoid of any inspiration these days, and just about 'shooting bad guys' non stop?

100% my thoughts aswell. I did watch the video to the end though ... I wish I hadn't :/
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    That could easily have been another iteration of Call of Duty, for all I knew. If they didn't explicitly call it 'Ghost in the Shell' at the beginning of the trailer, I'd never have known.

GITS is supposed to be about political intrigue and counter terrorism in non-conventional battlespace (or at least non-conventional to us), for example cyber-terrorism, mind-hacking, that kind of thing.

But no, pew pew bulletguns it is.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    imagine instead if this was a atmospheric open world rpg. what a game that would have been...
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nexon doesn't give a toss for anything that isn't free to play, so sadly you'll never see anything like that for GITs unless the rights pass on to someone else.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Damn, you guys are harsh !

I am personally super excited by this - the weapons look great, the maps seem to be clear and readable and the character models are pretty damn faithful to the original designs. And in terms of gameplay it looks like a healthy mix of modern shooters (ADS) and UT (movement speed and rocket launcher). Now of course it does look generic but if the game manages to nail the movement and shooting formulas that could actually be an awesome package. My only gripe so far would be about the amateurish third person animations and the wooden facial expressions.

I personally have no problem with a game like this being part of the GiTS universe, as it doesn't retroactively dumb down the movies or the series. As a matter of fact I'd rather have this than a MMO sending me on grind quests like "hack 10 cyberbrains" or "go and rescue 20 Fuchikomas, they need an oil change" !

As far as a western release is concerned , I think we can be cautiously optimistic given that some obscure eastern games are already frequently showing up on steam.

Can't wait !
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    Looks fun, but for such a cool universe I kind of wished they did something more interesting with it.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ Yeah, this is probably most people's real issue with it.

It looks like an alright game, but at the end of the day it's a generic sci-fi shooter with classes / gadgets, in a market that's already had it's fill of generic shooters with classes / gadgets.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Of course, but the game genre and the gadgets are just the surface of things. If the movement and shooting mechanics are tight this can mean a world of difference ... but of course such subtleties are impossible to convey in a trailer.

There are good reasons for CoD to be the popular franchise that it is, and it goes deeper that the bombastic visuals and the low barrier of entry. If this GiTS game manages to get the core mechanics just right it could be awesome !

(I guess I am just easily excited by cool looking shooters :D )
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are making me self conscious about being excited for this!

I work on Nosgoth. We are a free to play (very reasonable, too) game based on the Legacy of Kain universe. I'll be honest. The LoK games are a series that people thought had absolutely no business in being in the f2p multiplayer market. BUT! We made it work. People really like our game, and LoK fans who actually played it have turned over in support for us.

This has taught me to keep an open mind with games like this, and right now I am totally okay with going into a game that is Skinned to be Ghost in the Shell and playing as Togusa and killing all you cyborg n00bs with my pure human body.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I like to keep an open mind about new games so despite the fact that they could have done a lot more with the universe, the game still looks like a lot of fun.

My main concern is that Nexon will ruin the game with some P2W bullshit though. I remember playing Combat Arms from the first beta test they ran and originally it was one of the greatest multiplayer experiences I ever had. Fast forward a year and they start throwing in some completely overpowered weapons where if you spend even $1 you become a super powerful killing machine.

Fast forward up until now, and you really can't even play the game unless you spend money on cash-only rental weapons and a cash-only rental character.

Then there's the whole issue where every other player is running around with an aimbot but Nexon tends to ignore it if the player purchased cash items :(

At least the game will almost certainly be f2p, so I guess there's no reason not to try it!
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like Brink ... and we know how popular that was. It's a real shame as the universe could have been used to much better effect.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Brink deserved better.

Divorced of its license, this still looks like it does a few interesting things with the team multiplayer genre. It's not the Deus Ex style game that one would perhaps hope for, but it's certainly far from the worst use of a popular license that we've seen.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Loving the art direction, looks like some mindless fun... could be good :)
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I dunno the universe isn't really suited to FPS combat, sure it uses advanced weaponry but its not mindlessly running around with guns like every other multiplayer game.

Perhaps if someone like Kojima suddenly reared his head with SP campaign then I would be less skeptical, not that MGS hasn't been super shaky lately either.

But you know how it is, anything we love, we're naturally gonna be touchy when someone else starts poking around with it. :P

lol Also I noticed she gained a few chest sizes...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Ugh. Looks like it was made by robots. It's like they were actively TRYING to make it generic. The art is good, but the direction bores me to tears. Oh look! A pile of grey sci fi crates!

edit: and another pile of crates! And another. and another. and another....
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Hm, this does look like very shooting centric,which i don't think is what made GITS SAC so great.

Man, i'd kill for some proper, deep GITS SAC style RPG, maybe something like Deus ex HR....
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    The reason it looks generic is because of the presentation, again, once the game comes out, a better opinion can be formed, but from the video, here's what is confusing.

Main characters in game that you can play as in Online match? How does that work? Are others copy of them? Is this like Dota, where certain users play as Creep instead heroes? Everyone will always rush the heroes and goons will be randomed?

Stealth? The character literally de-cloacks on every shot, even melee kill, is that part of the gameplay or just show?

Etc...

For all we know, this game could end up being mechanically more interesting then Overwatch, but with Overwatch for example, we have seen a Medic that can fly and a support that can whip back in time/steps, or 2 types of tanks, while not ground breaking per se, they at least showed extra flavor, in this video, I didn't see any of that.

People already crucified Blacklight for some of the gameplay decisions it made once it went with PW, and this video is really similar.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    That looks nice, but there are a lot of high caliber multiplayer FPS coming out soon in Korea.

Those names they display, those are character classes you can select. Expect different abilities, like stealth but it wont be a team fortress I suppose.

If you want to know how it will play out in the end, look up Metro Conflict Presto, this should be a clone of that with a IP behind. (not saying it will not be fun, MCP is a really good game too)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhu3H3c-SjY

They really love that type of game there, dont expect campaign or anything deep, surely gonna be fast paced action fps for a young audience like the others. Black Squad launched a couple days ago per example, very similar game. Tried to get it working but IP blocked ... research is hard sometimes. Maybe i should go to Korea

if you are in for a good FPS trailer of the same genre haha
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKQ7TLRBEU
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    looks like a combination of COD and TF2 (with the classes). I was unimpressed by the environments, very boring in my opinion, grey boxy things everywhere.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Reminds me a lot of Blacklight Retribution. Similar feel to the art, frantic gameplay and they've even got the sub bass sounds which are the same.

Lots' of people mentioning how this seems similar to other games! Not a good sign.

Agree it's not the Ghost in the Shell game I would like to see.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    ErichWK wrote: »
    We are a free to play (very reasonable, too) game based on the Legacy of Kain universe.

still cant read this without crying a little inside.

can you honestly say that using the lok lore and setting makes any difference for your game? i have seen some gameplay videos and your game looks very fun actually, but that has nothing to do wiht the setting or brand name. it seems to have tight gameplay mechanics and interesting assymetrical team abilities. none of which needs the lok setting to work.
    why not just make the setting monsters vs monster hunters in some steampunk universe? would work just as fine, without slapping the lok franchise good name on it.

same with this ghost in the shell game. would it not work exactly the same with a new original scifi setting instead? i think so.

brand names have power. its obvious. hollywood knows this, the game industry knows this. that i can associate the title with some earlier pleasant experience makes me more likely to buy.
    its kind of a stamp of approval. i like soul reaver 1, so i think i will like soul reaver 2. therefore i buy it. i expect it to be simular, to meet me expactations of a soul reaver game. this is what fan loyalty is about.
    i dont think this is a good thing, it makes us shittier consumers and gives developers undeserving trust, which they constantly missuse. but its what is happening nowdays.

so, it bothers me a lot when publishers, developers and any media creator gets defensive when fans hate on them. you KNEW that you are using a brand name that has expactations tied to it, otherwise you wouldnt use it! so if you dont live up to those expectations, of course people are going to criticise you.
    saying that it doesnt make the old games worse, is true only to a degree. it hurts the brand name, which will make it harder to sell the next title, which could potantially stay true to the roots. you damage the trust and expactations tied to the name.

now, im not defending death threats and harrasment from fans towards developers. those are horrible actions, and i condem them. the only reasonable way of reacting, is to not support it.
    but i understand the frustation it creates, missusing a brand name.
    and publishers and developers should too.

rant over
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gives developers undeserving trust, which they constantly missuse. but its what is happening nowdays.

*publishers.

pg-weekly-wrap-jan-30-dungeon-keeper.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh. We knew 1000% fans will hate us. I am sure the ghost in the shell online teams that too. But we had faith that once you play the game, you will see it doesn't intrude on anything that the previous games were and only adds good clean fun to a great world. Same with Ghost in the Shell online. Yea, it won't add a huge amount of lore. Yea, it's not a new story. BUT, it's just a nice sweet candy treat to have next to your cake that is Ghost in the Shell, and if it does well. Maybe they will give us a bigger slice.
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    If the game is great, that's great. In fact, the game could be the best online fps in the world, and I'd probably play it.

That said, no matter how decent the game is on its own, the fact that it was GITS would just keep nagging at me in the back of my mind. It would be like taking something like the original Bioshock and turning it into a blockbuster action film. Sure, it would kind of fit (?) but it's skipping over the point entirely.

And if it succeeded, the message wouldn't be interpreted as a sign to make a smarter, or deeper film. It would be that action movies vaguely following the premise of anything with combat/guns are good business.

Regardless of how good this game is, or how much heart and soul the devs put into it, I just can't help but root against this game, unless it turns around and proves itself to be a much better match to the GITS franchise than I expect.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Looks cool to me. Good games are good games, if they're fun, I'll like them. If they're fun and have characters/lore/other shit in it that I'm a fan of, I'll like it even more.

Nosgoth is a good example, Hyrule Warriors is another. I utterly love the Legend of Zelda universe, but LoZ games come out years apart. When Hyrule Warriors was first announced, was I skeptical? A little bit. But I bought it, and my wife and I have played it almost every night since it came out. It's fun, there's a bunch of shit to do/unlock, and I get to do all this fun shit as characters I am a gigantic fan of, and feel like I don't see nearly enough of while I wait for the next full blown Zelda game. Does it add a canonical story of impact to the franchise? No. Does it expand upon the existing lore, or introduce new characters that I think fit the world? No. But it's fun, it's Zelda to boot, and it does nothing to harm the franchise, woo!

Nosgoth is very similar - and I didn't even have to pay for it (though I will admit to buying one of the founder's packs). That one, however, was a little bit backwards for me as I played Nosgoth first and then looked into the other games, but I still think it's a legit example that sometimes an established world is exactly what fun gameplay ideas need to work well.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Nosgoth is great fun, I think I've already spent at least $50 on the game simply because the game is so well made in every aspect. It is probably the best example of a F2P game done right, right next to other titles like TF2 or Dota 2.

I've played the Dirty Bomb closed beta several times which is also being published by Nexon and the quality actually surprised me. I was expecting Nexon to force a ton of unfair microtransactions onto the players but everything seemed incredibly fair. I'm hoping the same can be said for GITSO because the gameplay mechanics and graphics both look solid.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    I was a bit hyped to see what could have been done with this but it reminds me too much of Blacklight.

Got tired of black lights bullshit quickly.

I was kinda hoping for something co-op mission based with pvp. I really only wanted to hack something or play with the stealth tech they had.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The game is out now ,you can get early access for 5$
    Looks like an pretty good korean multiplayer FPS with a kind of GITS setting and some cool features, not mindblowing but well executed,

What made me feel like sharing is that they really know what matters on a weapon 3d model

If that is not some very nice texel and poly distribution then I don't know.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Oh wow. Thanks for that image. I'm gonna have to take a look at this when I get the chance. From the preview video they showed there also seemed to be some interesting 1p animations for special abilities or special weapons. 
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

• rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Looks nice I like the way Batou looks.. but thats about it.. the rest is generic rubbish.. They have taken the IP at the most basic and shallow form and turned it into something nondescript. Pity..
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    rolfness said:
    *snip* They have taken the IP at the most basic and shallow form and turned it into something nondescript. Pity..
    I partially agree, you can slap anything on top of this. Nothing really seems GiTS. But I should wait until I can get in on the release. Might be fun. A single player following a GiTS-ish story line would rock my socks.
  • InvertedVantage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvertedVantage polygon
    I played the Beta of this...was pretty underwhelmed. It was fun but the movement was stale - there was no indication that you were a cybernetic super-soldier. The weapons were fun and felt chunky, but aside from a few tweaks, special abilities (see through walls, cloak, etc) and the ability to fly through a "virtual" version of the level during the pre-game countdown, there really wasn't a ton to indicate that we were in some sort of cyberpunk future universe... :\