Home General Discussion

Heart felt application:

I just had a really quick question.

Is it OK to put forward a more "personal" or "heartfelt" cover letter or should I keep it formal?

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Define personal or heartfelt.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Only if it's hand written and you dot your I's with hearts
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giving more of the personal reasons on why I would love the oppertunity presented and not so much the clean cut approach.

Basically I've come to a bit of a crossroads and I want to move away from the CGI world that I have got myself into and move towards game development where I genuniely get excited and as such want to try and present that in the letter.
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically more the "I love games always wanted to do it etc etc etc etc" vs "I really enjoy creating art and your studio seems like the best place for me to progress my career"
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think it doesn't hurt to make your passion evident. It'll help you stand out in a crowd of cookie cutter submissions, apart from anything else. Just avoid coming off as whiny or naive.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah fair points and thankyou both for taking the time out to reply I really appreciate it. :)
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Showing some passion for the type of games the studio makes is always gonna be a bonus :thumbup:
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    If you're transitioning from one industry to other, just make sure it doesn't come off negative/ranty, you don't want to be all like "I really want to work in games because my job at X sucks for Y". Instead, make sure to focus on the positive aspects of why you are interested in working for the company in question. If you can do that, then generally yes it is good to have something personal in your cover letter. The last thing you want to do is spam the same resume to 50 different companies.

Also, be sure not to mass email 50 different companies stating "I've always wanted to work for your company!" while leaving the other 49 email addresses visible. Lolol, yes, I've seen this happen on a number of occasions.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. If it's not superficial and truly is from the heart, do it. Anything to make yourself stand out is good.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    as long is it's not a 5 paragraph history of your childhood how playing Zelda made you become a video game artist/designer/qa-tester/programmer... I'm so bored of these.

Showing interest is good. But don't waste too many paragraphs on it. a) Everyone else is interested (or should be!) b) if you're not interested I won't hire you. Obviously. Interest in the job / company is a basic requirement (just as being able to read and write).

Usually your resume is just a pile of facts. Use the cover letter to fill in the gaps! Weave a story, convince me why your pile of facts and your background can help me to get the job done! You'd be surprised how many people can rattle down skills but cannot form an argument how they would be useful to me on a real or imaginary project.

Summary: writing a good cover letter takes time, and there's a good chance nobody will read it. However if the cover letter is really good, then it can make a difference. Up to you :)
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the extra responses!

I'm now feeling quite mixed about my cover letter in the fact that I may have missed a few things from it that I should have ideally included. So I am slightly bummed out by not taking the extra evening just to run over it to make sure I am happy.

Its nothing negative but I think its lacking any real sort of "I want to work with you because of X,Y,Z games you've made" and its more saying how I want to work in a games studio. Also I forgot to put my address at the top which is a real school boy error so I am going to be kicking myself constantly while at work today.

Again thanks for the responses, suggestions and advice. That's very awesome of you :)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    l.croxton wrote: »
    I want to work with you because of X,Y,Z games you've made

When I read things like this, the following questions come to mind:
    "How do you think your skills/expertise/style can help us to make more games like that?"
    "Why would you be a good fit for making games like this?"

Your cover letter should really give an answer!
    I may ask the same question in an interview, but you have to make it there first ;)

Good answers would be pointing me to specific skills in your resume, specific related jobs in your resume. Artwork in your reel which are similar to the games you just named. The idea is to make it easy for me, as employer, to match you to our needs.

• l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's where I think I missed a trick when I didn't put that in the cover letter. I have a sneaking suspicion that I was too much into saying that I wanted to work in games and not so much how I could be of any use. I'd hope my CV would maybe bail me out of that problem; just would be gutting to think that they looked at my CV and thought "He might be alright lets look at his cover letter.... Nope!" lol

Those sorts of things I would usually answer in an interview as you say; just totally missed it to put it on my letter. Well here is hoping anyway :)
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    I think the most important thing to get across in a Cover letter is your own aims for the future. It's all fine and well to start with a line about how passionate you are in you're work, but leave it as just a single line.
    Also never start a cover letter how you were taught in school. Dear Sir/Madam is fine but the "my name is blah blah, I grew up in blah and I am a blah blah with a passion for blah" is old and tired.
    Normally I just jump straight into the important stuff, what I am looking for from the job (in terms of experience) and what i can bring to the table (in terms of experience).
    If they want to get to know me and about me as far as i am concerned that is what an interview is for, reading on a page where i am from and my history is impersonal.

What they really care about is the CV and portfolio. The cover letter is there so they have an idea of what you might want from the position and if you are a long-term investment or short-term one (basically don't say "i would like to work for you for a year until i get this job at this company i really like" even if it is what you plan on doing).

It is also important to understand when going for a job that it is a two way street. salary negotiating is fine, however it is also important to make the company know what you want during the process, it may lead to a higher position offered if you impress them enough or they may get you working with a mentor/someone with experience in what you are interested in. If you show them you are thinking about your future then they may as well think about how they can help you get there.
    If they do not seem to care about what you want (future) in the interview, then they aren't a decent company to work for and if you can afford it then maybe you should look to the next company.

Just make sure you are a polite decent person and not an asshole when going about it and you will be fine.
  • Blizz_kathyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blizz_kathyz polycounter lvl 7
    At Blizzard Entertainment we consider the cover letter an opportunity to show a bit of your personality. Showing passion for games and more specifically, our games, is definitely encouraged. Your resume will describe the experience you bring while your cover letter can give us some insight into why you are applying. We want to know you are genuinely interested so including a personal anecdote would be fine. Keep in mind every company is different though.

Hope this helps!
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    when my job search had been dragging on for a year or so i started writing "personal" cover letters. really they bordered on rants. but they were honest.
    I couldn't tell you if they worked better or worse, but I can tell you that I didn't get any negative responses from them. The rare times i got any response at all seemed to appreciate my candor. I think when you copy/paste the same letter over and over again it not only cheapens you as a prospect to your employer, but it is demotivating to you as a person. You aren't a robot. tell them what you think and don't tell them what they want to hear.