Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Detective's Office

Hello friends! I worked on this environment over the course of ten weeks. I worked on the modelling and texturing and pulled everything together into Unreal 4 to make it look nice and pretty.

lZk9hK8.png
XQhAlLD.png
b09VpzB.png
USNp7y9.png
5K5XEzu.png

Replies

• modsoft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modsoft polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Esther, awesome work!
    Nice colors and atmospheric effects:) Only comment I can think of is the two wooden chairs 'feel' large, and the wood material of the chairs compete a bit with the lovely wooden floor material.

Great work, love this! I can get a sense of the detective's personality.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    Well, what a great scene! The lighting in particular looks great.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good overall, I'd spend some time on making everything cohesive on a detail and visual level now.

IE the wooden chair texture/material needs more work compared to the rest of the scene, and currently looks as if it's a colormap only with 1 roughness and 0 specular, making it look strange compared to the materials such as the wooden floor and metal cabinets.

The texture resolution of some of the objects also differs quite a bit compared to others in the scene, and is more obvious when right next to each other. (IE the large bits of paper right next to the tiling floor). I'd recommend bumping up the texture resolution one notch for a couple of the models, especially the folders+papers, and maybe even the wooden chairs. The chairs still might work at the current resolution, as long as you add in some nice roughness maps that have a little bit of dirt/scratches in them to break up the difference in lighting.

Things like the photo with a frame on the left of the three photos lack in visual interest compared to the others, you can still keep it a simple frame as in reality there are simple frames, but perhaps put a tiny bevel on its edge (even sharp edges usually have the tiniest of bevels/smoothness in reality) I'd also probably bump down the normals of the two photoframes on the right to be about 25-50% less intense, as of now it's kind of screaming I'm a normal map with those deep dark shadows which you wouldn't get from a frame that can only have so much depth in it's pattern relief.

All that said, I think it's looking lovely. Just needs a little bit more tweaking in the materials to give a bit more consistency to the level of polish throughout the scene.

[EDIT] Also, don't forget to add in a couple of cubemap actors in there as well if you haven't already! It'll really make the reflections and metal pop more.
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Looks great. The window seems to be a little low, however.
  • Squidemic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for all the wonderful feedback! I'm definitely going to be revisiting this to revise those parts!
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Really like the atmosphere! The only things that bug me have already been mentioned, so no point repeating. Keep up the great work!