Home General Discussion

What's your sketching routine?

If you regularly keep a sketchbook, how do you normally sit down for a sketching session?

Do you use reference images? Just sketch whatever is in your head? Both?

Do you have an agenda, such as, "I'm going to focus on hands today." Or do you hop from one idea to the next?

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    open sketchbook
    stare at it for a while
    doodle spirals
    throw away page
    close sketchbook
    realize I cant sketch.
  • RMeeks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recently started sketching a bit at night after work.
    I found a list of random objects in a d&d book.
    I am working my way through that list.
    I find reference and go for it.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I carry a 6x6 sketchbook which fits easily into a back pocket. I use a ball point pen or tech pen which is better than a pencil, as the pencil will wear out from rubbing on the pages.

If I'm not sure where I'm going with a character, I'll use a pencil to throw down some lines and then pick out what i want with a pen, or I'll do dozens of thumbnails and scan them into photoshop.

By using the cutout filter they usually turn into something exciting to work with.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    lotet wrote: »
    open sketchbook
    stare at it for a while
    doodle spirals
    throw away page
    close sketchbook
    realize I cant sketch.

I feel you sometimes, haha
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    open Kim Jung Gi Sketchbook
    flip pages while feeling inspired and insecure at the same time
    close Sketchbook
    accept fact that I'll never draw like Kim Jung Gi
    decide to be myself
    open drawing app
    execute drawing inspired by Kim Jung Gi art
    post drawing in Polycount

pigride2.jpg~original
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tend to sketch at church at Reality LA. The book I use is a 1.5 inch thick, half of a 11 x 8.5 per page book. Standard paper as far as I can tell.

I vasicillate between ballpoint, inky pens, and a variety of pencils. I usually carry a boxcutter in my back pocket. Pen and pencils kept in a Japanese snack tin I originally got from Tapzen, and then my mum.

To me, it helps keep me awake during sermons, share with other strangers part of what I do, and acts as written journal and notebook as I draw.

I tend to focus on just character faces, though more recently, cracking away at silhouettes and designs for a Red Star skin idea for Tracer from "Overwatch."

3zqR60Z.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I feel you sometimes, haha

I know right!? Im actually kinda sad about it :( im pretty confortable with my drawing skills, but the idea of "sketching" is really hard for me. the "just start drawing what in your mind thing to relax" isnt workong for me at all.

does anyone have any tips?
    what is your though process when you sketch?
    why do you sketch?
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know right!? Im actually kinda sad about it im pretty confortable with my drawing skills, but the idea of "sketching" is really hard for me. the "just start drawing what in your mind thing to relax" isnt workong for me at all.

why do you sketch?

This is me too. I open the sketchbook and then crap usually spills out. I'm wondering if just something you need to deal with. Wade through all the crap until you grow comfortable with sketching.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you know i am starting to sketch more now. at work, and stuff.
    actually enjoying myself. I can't really draw but if I am having fun with it,
    that is all that really matters.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet wrote: »
    I know right!? Im actually kinda sad about it :( im pretty confortable with my drawing skills, but the idea of "sketching" is really hard for me. the "just start drawing what in your mind thing to relax" isnt workong for me at all.

why do you sketch?

I sketch to problem solve and to low-committally spit out various ideas and design problems I want to tackle.

What might be cool, and I do this sometimes, just blindly doodle lightly for a bit (not looking at it directly), then look at directly, and see what you can tease out of the mess into a final sketch.

To me, if you accept that the sketchbook is NOT final work, it's just a visual journal and intial tackling of early ideas, it's fine if it looks crappy.
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    Has anyone ever taken a 365 sketch a day challenge? I'm definitely gonna take it up next year to discipline myself, alot of the time I'm either without a sketchpad or not motivated enough to pickup the pencil and go for it.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    open Kim Jung Gi Sketchbook
    flip pages while feeling inspired and insecure at the same time
    accept fact that I'll never draw like Kim Jung Gi
    execute drawing inspired by Kim Jung Gi art

On a daily basis
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I definitely want to do a sketch challenge. My sketching has gotten better with practice, but I'm far from where I want to be. I typically sketch before bed on my iPad. It's the only time without interruptions. I like using my iPad because Procreate records a video of your sketch, and I enjoy re-watching them. I try to post to Instagram at least a couple of times a week.

http://instagram.com/monsterblues

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cWAOwbOLaU"]Guy Sketch on iPad - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tqyz6R8MkM"]Girl Sketch on iPad - YouTube[/ame]
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Right now I'm taking a bus to work for over an hour each way, so I make it a point to spend that time sketching. I'm not really rigid about what/how I draw, as long as I get an idea down or challenge myself somehow. Normally, I do most of my sketching in front of the tv at the end of the day.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I noticed working on a cintiq feels a lot more natural when sketching, so thats something to consider.

Also, Krita (Krita.org) with the sketch brushes (type in 'sketch' in the filter bar) makes sketching a lot more enjoyable. There's a happy accident aspect that comes with its brush engine.